Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I was looking for a Treo 600 for my wife and saw someone list a used one in the MARKETPLACE.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67141

After sending payment thru PAYPAL and waiting 2 weeks nothing ever arrived. Contacted Paypal and they arent much help.

Be very careful with what you purchase even from anyone within this forum. Dont let this happen to you.
    The 4 posts should have made you worry !

Is your PayPal drawn out of Visa or MasterCard ? You would have recourse.
    thanks for the look out damigs. i hate scammers.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The 4 posts should have made you worry !

Is your PayPal drawn out of Visa or MasterCard ? You would have recourse.
    Well here I am thinking Paypal is the 3rd party and they will handle transactions making sure they go smooth.. WRONG!!! Since I paid with funds that I had in my account I cannot do anything but kiss my $$ goodbye. If I would of paid thru my CC (which Paypal always tells you not to do since they have "buyer protection" BS) I wouldnt be in this mess. Since now I know and I also wanted to fill my experience with others.

I can honestly say I have been scammed by both the Seller and Paypal for that matter. Im sure Mr. MARTYSTONE shall get his either by someone else or myself (if I had the opportunty!)
    Whenever there's a choice between PayPal and credit cards I take the credit card option. I think they provide better buyer protection than paypal. The latter seems to protect the seller because..well because that's their source of income.

As for scamers, you will find plenty on eBay, the number one site for paypal transactions. How you protect yourself merely consists of screening sellers and asking previous buyers.
    I believe you can reverse the transaction in paypal. I have told people who sent me money to cancel the transaction and they were able to do it. This only works if there is sufficient funds in the accnt, in your case martystone's accnt.
    What is paypal saying to this?
    The guy listed an email address in the post..... What email address did you send the paypal money to? What email address did he sign up at Treocentral with? (try contacting the admins here about this issue). Track the email host down to an ISP if possible, contact them and the local police.

and yeah, givin 400 bucks to a brand new poster (his only other post was him asking for help on his Treo 300) was pretty stupid -- sorry.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    What is paypal saying to this?
    Paypal basically gave me the impression of "buyer beware". Before sending payment I asked seller for his Paypal ID since I felt this was pretty str8 forward. I sent payment to that address as it was verified. I have also emailed all email addresses I can find for this individaul. I have filed complaints online against Marty and Paypal for this. To me its mostly the principle.
    Was there an email address linked to the paypal account? Are the addresses you have for him generic yahoo/hotmail ones or like roadrunner, comcast, etc.? If the latter, I'd definitely try to talk with them and investigate the guy, let them know you want to persue police action, etc..

So does paypal only protect you in the case of an auction? Can you post paypal's reply here? That sounds pretty lame if that's what they told you. Zero protection if someone screws you? I never use the instant transfer -- always credit card just in case -- at least ya have some kind of shot with the CC.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Was there an email address linked to the paypal account? Are the addresses you have for him generic yahoo/hotmail ones or like roadrunner, comcast, etc.? If the latter, I'd definitely try to talk with them and investigate the guy, let them know you want to persue police action, etc..

So does paypal only protect you in the case of an auction? Can you post paypal's reply here? That sounds pretty lame if that's what they told you. Zero protection if someone screws you? I never use the instant transfer -- always credit card just in case -- at least ya have some kind of shot with the CC.
    I have about 3 email addresses for him. One for Treocentral, another for Paypal and another for what he posted in Marketplace. Here is the email I got back from Paypal on my complaint. Out of $215.00 sale of a Treo 600 I got $1.55 so far.

We have concluded our investigation of your Buyer Complaint.

We have determined that the seller is at fault, and as a result, we have attempted to recover your funds.
    The maximum amount we were able to recover was $1.55 USD. This amount has been credited to your account. Please allow up to 5 days for this adjustment to be reflected in your account.

If you are due any additional amount from the seller, please be assured that we will make our best effort to recover the balance from the seller on your behalf.

You can also be assured that we will take appropriate action against the seller in this case. Actions may include issuing a warning, a temporary limitation, or terminating their account. PayPal uses a number of factors to determine what type of action to take, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we are unable to discuss the details of any action. We hope you understand our policy, and that it ensures you are safe when using PayPal.

We appreciate your business, and regret this experience.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest reading these Security Tips:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/web...buyers-outside

Sincerely,

PayPal

This is a huge slap in my face. I called up Paypal and all the rep mentioned is they will "try" and have seller replenish funds. I asked how can someone take money out of account and you guys not pursue them that way whether thru bank, home address, etc. They said its out of there grasp. BS!!

This is why I say becareful of how and with whom you send payments with.
    That really is BS..... What a joke -- we recovered $1.55 and may "issue a warning..."

How can they not just draw the money back out of his bank account and send it over to you?!?!
    You should also log a complaint with the FBI's Internet fraud division at http://www.ifccfbi.gov

I've had to use it before and have had a hard time getting followup information on my claim, but supposedly they take your information and funnel it to local authorities for further investigation.

Worth a shot.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    How can they not just draw the money back out of his bank account and send it over to you?!?!
    My point exactly. This is the reason for me posting this on the forum. Its basically a "Buyer Beware" mentality Paypal harvests. I dont want something like this to happen to anyone. It truely suxs.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    You should also log a complaint with the FBI's Internet fraud division at http://www.ifccfbi.gov

I've had to use it before and have had a hard time getting followup information on my claim, but supposedly they take your information and funnel it to local authorities for further investigation.

Worth a shot.
    Thanks for the advise Ninodelsol... I have already filed a complaint with that sight and several others even one against Paypal. Out of my 4 years with Paypal I have never gone thru this even as much verified as I am with them. Doesnt mean crap from what I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs
    Actions may include issuing a warning, a temporary limitation, or terminating their account.
    Oooooooh, that's harsh! They MAY temporarily limit the account from screwing other customers.

Due to privacy laws, we are unable to discuss the details of any action.
    So don't bug us for a follow up. We'll mark it in a folder somewhere and forget about it.

We hope you understand our policy, and that it ensures you are safe when using PayPal.
    How exactly are we safe when you basically allow this to happen and then offer no recourse?

We appreciate your business, and regret this experience.
    Please allow us to screw you again in the future.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    HAA HAAA.. Good one. But soooooo true
    Put Kellen on the case. He's from The U.

"I'm an f'ing soldier!"
    yeah, i just realized i got screwed by a guy claiming to sell a screen replacement (just for $75, sheeesh). i'm hecka pissed, and it's all about the principal. i mean, really, it's just $75, but i was hecka excited to get my screen fixed.

just wrote to my bank and requested that they reverse the transaction. hey, if your paypal is connected to your bank account, just go and ***** at your bank. it is in their power to reverse the transaction. your MO is to just be abrasive, act stupid, and keep stating that you were taken advantage of.

btw, watch out for a Khaila Korch. jerk
    In PayPal's defense, this is NOT eBay, and they don't support the TreoCentral Marketplace like they do eBay. PayPal is not liable in this instance. They even tried to get your money back (if you take their word - another topic) in good faith. Though PayPal isn't the most moral company in the world, there was no third party involved in the transaction that could protect you...

These kinds of marketplace forums are dangerous because there is no accountability on either side. I think PayPal and eBay have cleaned up their acts recently, but even so, I've been screwed plenty of times by both companies, as well as by sellers AND buyers alike.

How does PayPal really know you were actually buying something anyway? Remember, PayPal started out as just an easy way to send money to a friend. Now imagine how easy it would be to fruad someone if PayPal favored "buyers" - by buying an item through this forum. Let's say you sent payment and received the item, and then cried to PayPal that you never received the item and they reversed the transaction!

It's admirable to warn people of making a mistake, but don't go blaming the system, which really wasn't even in place here, because you fell for this person's scam on an anonymous forum. And who really knows... maybe the person dropped dead the next day or his account(s) was/were compromised?

I'm just saying that I learned the hard way too; next time think about where your money is going at all times and what is protecting it.
    Last edited by dtbroyhill; 03/20/2005 at 11:22 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast