Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have been defrauded on Ebay twice for $500 each time. Both times I paid out of my Paypal balance wihich leaves you virtually no recourse. Anytime I accumulate any kind of a balance in Paypal I transfer it into my checking account. The result is that all major purchases are made with the credit card not the Paypal balance. If I don't receive an item, I dispute it with my credit card company and I am done with it.

Now, my two defrauded stories:

1) I bought an LCD projector from a guy who skipped town and never shipped my item. I researched him on the old Internet and found out he had a yacht he rented services out on in the Bahamas. I found out what marina he moored at and got a hold of the bartender at the marina. The bartender new who he was and was pissed at the guy for skating on me. He rufused to refer him any charter business or sell him any booze. I got my money two weeks later.

2) A guy in Maryland defrauded me on a $500 table saw. I tracked him down through public records on the Internet, talked to his ex-wife who gave me his contact info. On the phone, he promised to refund me and never did. I contacted 15 of his recent purchasers who were also defrauded and contacted the States Attorney in the county were he lived. He was arrested and prosectued!

The moral of the story is common sense prevails on Ebay...and in my case you can run but you can't hide, DON'T SCREW ME ON EBAY CUZ I WILL GO ANTHONY SOPRANO ON YOUR ***!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill
    In PayPal's defense, this is NOT eBay, and they don't support the TreoCentral Marketplace like they do eBay. PayPal is not liable in this instance. They even tried to get your money back (if you take their word - another topic) in good faith. Though PayPal isn't the most moral company in the world, there was no third party involved in the transaction that could protect you...

These kinds of marketplace forums are dangerous because there is no accountability on either side. I think PayPal and eBay have cleaned up their acts recently, but even so, I've been screwed plenty of times by both companies, as well as by sellers AND buyers alike.

How does PayPal really know you were actually buying something anyway? Remember, PayPal started out as just an easy way to send money to a friend. Now imagine how easy it would be to fruad someone if PayPal favored "buyers" - by buying an item through this forum. Let's say you sent payment and received the item, and then cried to PayPal that you never received the item and they reversed the transaction!

It's admirable to warn people of making a mistake, but don't go blaming the system, which really wasn't even in place here, because you fell for this person's scam on an anonymous forum. And who really knows... maybe the person dropped dead the next day or his account(s) was/were compromised?

I'm just saying that I learned the hard way too; next time think about where your money is going at all times and what is protecting it.
    I do blame them for all they do is advertise how safe and how secure your transactions will be.. When in fact they really mean "Buyer beware". I just can't see how you can create an account, accept funds and then withdrawl these funds whether thru check or direct deposit and paypal cannot do anything about it when the client commited fraud?!?!?!

BASICALLY YOUR BEST BET IS TO PURCHASE WITH CREDIT CARD.. Plain and simple!!!!
    Dang, this is messed up! I've purchased many times on Ebay, I think it comes down to the Seller and their credibility and honesty. I've never had a problem and I've used both my bank account and my AmexEx card as payment.

But I do feel that Paypal should try and better assist you in this delimma since it was their service that was used in concluding the financial transaction.

I really hope you get this resolved in your favor.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    If you're looking for an extra level of protection and don't mind the higher fees then escrow.com is a guaranteed-not-screwed kind of option. 3.25% of the transaction ($25.00 minimum) in fees and they'll hold the money until the package is received, inspected, and accepted by the buyer. Everybody wins. But at $200 it is an expensive sense of security
    Hey, I Need Everyone's Help Here. My Soon To Be Ex-husband Has Been The One Selling All This Crap To You Guys, Taking Your Money And Not Sending The Merchandise. The Problem Is He Is Doing It All Under My Name. He Has Stolen My Identity. I Have Contacted The Feds And They Say That There Is Not Enough Of A Dollar Amount To Prosecute Him. I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED PAYPAL AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THIS IS A FRAUDULENT ACCOUNT AND THEY WONT HELP ME BECAUSE I AM NOT THE ONE WHO SET UP THE ACCOUNT AND I DONT KNOW THE PASSWORD TO THE ACCOUNT. EVEN THOUGH THE ACCOUNT IS UNDER MY NAME AND MY ADDRESS AND HE ATTACHED IT TO ONE OF MY OLD CHECKING ACCOUNTS IN ANOTHER STATE THAT HASN'T BEEN USED IN OVER TWO YEARS. So I Am Going To Take Things Into My Own Hands. I Have A Court Hearing With Him On April 11, 2005 And I Need You All To Provide Me With Documents With The Name He Is Using And The Account Name He Is Using, Along With The Amount Of Money He Took From You. Anything You Can Give Me Will Help. He Is Now Trying To Take Something More Important Away From Me, And That Is My Two Year Old Son. Please Help Me Nail Him. I Am The Only One Who Can But Not Without Your Help.
    huh?
  7. seh
    What is the case number under which you are proceeding on 4/11/05? What is the Court location?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_n_ark
    Hey, I Need Everyone's Help Here. My Soon To Be Ex-husband Has Been The One Selling All This Crap To You Guys, Taking Your Money And Not Sending The Merchandise. The Problem Is He Is Doing It All Under My Name. He Has Stolen My Identity. I Have Contacted The Feds And They Say That There Is Not Enough Of A Dollar Amount To Prosecute Him. I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED PAYPAL AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THIS IS A FRAUDULENT ACCOUNT AND THEY WONT HELP ME BECAUSE I AM NOT THE ONE WHO SET UP THE ACCOUNT AND I DONT KNOW THE PASSWORD TO THE ACCOUNT. EVEN THOUGH THE ACCOUNT IS UNDER MY NAME AND MY ADDRESS AND HE ATTACHED IT TO ONE OF MY OLD CHECKING ACCOUNTS IN ANOTHER STATE THAT HASN'T BEEN USED IN OVER TWO YEARS. So I Am Going To Take Things Into My Own Hands. I Have A Court Hearing With Him On April 11, 2005 And I Need You All To Provide Me With Documents With The Name He Is Using And The Account Name He Is Using, Along With The Amount Of Money He Took From You. Anything You Can Give Me Will Help. He Is Now Trying To Take Something More Important Away From Me, And That Is My Two Year Old Son. Please Help Me Nail Him. I Am The Only One Who Can But Not Without Your Help.
    Keep me posted on this. I do not mind sharing some of this A$$holes info and emails he got me with. As long as I know this isnt another scam im getting into. I have since then moved on and concidered my $$ long gone after PAYPAL refused to issue me anything back
    I WON'T GIVE OUT THE CASE NUMBER, BUT THE COURT HEARING IS AT 8:30 AM ON APRIL 11, 2005 AT THE IMPERIAL COUNTY COURT HOUSE IN EL CENTRO, CA. THIS IS NOT A SCAM AND I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP. YOU CAN CONTACT ME PERSONALLY AT so_close_but_not@yahoo.com IF YOU WISH. I WILL ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IF POSSIBLE IF YOU CAN HELP ME.
    By The Way, The Man Goes By File_bug And His Last Name Is Korch.
  11. seh
    Case number, like the matter's details are public record unless sealed. I'm not saying you are scamming, but I think before people hand over their information, there should be some level of verification. Basically, I'm just trying to do my part in making sure that things stay on the up-and-up. I assume that your hearing is in front of Donnelly, but I wont be able to see that calendar until the 10th (or Friday).

Good luck.
    If You Must Know, The Case Number Is Efl03381 And Yes It Is In Front Of Donal Donnelly. Now Can Anyone Help Me Nail Him?
    I just thought I'd ask all of you what you think. I bought a Treo 600 for $200.00 on Ebay Tuesday of last week. I paid through paypal and it was considered an echeck. So it cleared yesterday. But during this whole time I've been emailing this guy for over a week to get some info. Its not the same guy that people are talking about in this forum. He has an automatic reply sent back saying this:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I
    have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please
    fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you,
    I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to
    resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

I have already let this guy know what address to ship it to, if he had any questions to call me. Yet I haven't got a single reply. The payment has cleared and I'm getting the feeling that this guy isn't going to ship the phone. He looks like a new ebay user. Zero Feedback. I already had one of the investigators from my work get me some basic info on him. (I work for the Colorado State Attorney General's Office) I have his address and telephone number. I live in Colorado he lives in Virginia. How long do you think I should wait until I take action?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Last edited by TheBigBadWolf; 04/06/2005 at 03:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    If You Must Know, The Case Number Is Efl03381 And Yes It Is In Front Of Donal Donnelly. Now Can Anyone Help Me Nail Him?
    Email me at damigs@juno.com

I can help you
  15. seh
    I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, I really just wanted to know if this was legitimate. I think we all need to take an active role in policing the internet. Good luck.
    I Gave You The Case Number And The Judge, Can You Help Me Or Did You Just Want To Know If I Was Pulling A Scam?
    Quote Originally Posted by spikey_korean
    yeah, i just realized i got screwed by a guy claiming to sell a screen replacement (just for $75, sheeesh). i'm hecka pissed, and it's all about the principal. i mean, really, it's just $75, but i was hecka excited to get my screen fixed.

just wrote to my bank and requested that they reverse the transaction. hey, if your paypal is connected to your bank account, just go and ***** at your bank. it is in their power to reverse the transaction. your MO is to just be abrasive, act stupid, and keep stating that you were taken advantage of.

btw, watch out for a Khaila Korch. jerk

YOU ARE THE ONE I REALLY NEED THE INFO FROM. I KNOW THAT WITHOUT A DOUBT IT IS MY SOON TO BE EX-HUSBAND THAT STOLE THE MONEY FROM YOU. CAN YOU HELP ME IN ANY WAY? HE GOES BY FILE_BUG AND THE LAST NAME KORCH. PLEASE, I NEED ALL I CAN GET TO PUT HIM AWAY FOR ALL THIS.
  18. seh
    I was looking out for others on the forum. I wish you luck and hope that the bad actor suffers.
    What was the outcome of the trial. As a previous resident of El Centro I am curious. Either way the summer heat down there is punishment enough for the $75 scam. 110 degrees is not fun, but heh it cools down to 90 at night.
    the outcome of the trial was that the a**whole didnt show and it was continued till june 9. he is now trying to run i think because he has gone from arkansas, where he did all this stuff and his ip address is showing arkansas, now to north carolina. i guess he thinks they wont track him. little does he know, i am his ex-wife protecting my son from him, i can track him no matter where he goes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast