1.    #1  
    A friend pointed me to this site where you can sign up for a 'free' Treo 650.

Well, it really isn't free. You need to purchase a pair of 'cell phone boosters' first for $40. Then your name gets added to the list of people who are in line to get their 'free' Treo 650. Each time enough people buy a cell phone booster, then the next person in line gets their so-called 'free' Treo 650.

I have a link to the site from here:
    http://www.pcpages.com/glenndav/

It looks like a cute idea, so I'm going to try it out. Take a look and post a reply if you or anybody you know who has used this site before. I'd like to hear about anybody's experience with it. A couple of notes on a few boards makes this look promising.
    It really is so wonderful how many people are generous enough to share these wonderful deals with this little community on their very first post. What's your favorite app Glenn?
    <sniff><sniff>

Nope, it didn't pass the Ponzi scheme smell test.

Oh, and thanks for the meta refresh and all the popups, Glenn.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    Hey ... I've been a Treo 300 owner for a long time and I've been a reader of TreoCentral ever since. ... but you want to test me, thinking I'm just some spammer.

Not to worry ... my favorite app, through thick and thin (I was also an original PalmPilot owner as well ... before they even had the back-lit screens) is AvantGo. Not only can you download all your news when you sync, but it has an ok web browser to surf live from your Treo (the browser is a bit slow, but it's good at presenting graphics).

Some other favorites are the 'oldies'. As a former Palm VII owner, I just had to install the web clipping support and apps to my Treo. I use the Mapquest and Moviefone ones the most. And finally, if I'm really in a pinch then I sometimes use ptelnet to telnet to my Linux server from my Treo if I can't get to a computer. And if I want to show off to a friend, then I'll use PalmVNC to control my desktop computer. That wows them, but its practical use is a bit limited.

So, yes, I'm a Treo fanatic, not some spammer. And I'm posting this message just minutes after you posted your reply ... so I didn't go out on the net and research these apps just to impress you. And if you haven't heard about the last two apps, let me know, I'll be glad to give you more info on them. They're different and cool.

Now, back to the original post:
    (I hope we can conclude the 'pissing contest' and just be merry Treo-loving friends)
    Do you have any info on that site that is linked to from here:

http://www.pcpages.com/glenndav/

I'm interested in knowing if it is the real thing.
    I was just observing a pattern. I'm glad you like your treo.
  6.    #6  
    Any pop-ups are unintentional. I even tested it myself and got none .. but that might have been because I have the pop-up blocker on my Internet Explorer turned on, so I didn't see it. So, if you got a pop-up, then I'm sorry.

... but still ... instead of just knocking this post down ... does anybody have some real info on this?

I figured that if the site is fraudulent, then I'll be OK - - - don't the credit card companies protect you against this sort of stuff? The credit card companies would withhold the money from the site and credit my account. I mean, a lot of credit cards want you to buy on the net and they even offer added protection to you so you won't be affraid of the few fraudulent ones. Has anybody had experience with that type of stuff with the credit card companies? I guess I'm lucky never to had a problem with an online purchase (so far).
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I thought cell phone boosters were ineffective. Aren't they the little stick-on devices that promise to increase your range, kindof like sticking aluminum foil to your antenna?
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
    Nothing in life is free. If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true. Use your brain.
    Carl
    Gee I think if I sold enough 10cent items for $40 plus shipping I probably could give away $500 cell phones too.
    DUH ----------
    rj
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennTreo
    Any pop-ups are unintentional. I even tested it myself and got none .. but that might have been because I have the pop-up blocker on my Internet Explorer turned on, so I didn't see it. So, if you got a pop-up, then I'm sorry.

... but still ... instead of just knocking this post down ... does anybody have some real info on this?

I figured that if the site is fraudulent, then I'll be OK - - - don't the credit card companies protect you against this sort of stuff? The credit card companies would withhold the money from the site and credit my account. I mean, a lot of credit cards want you to buy on the net and they even offer added protection to you so you won't be affraid of the few fraudulent ones. Has anybody had experience with that type of stuff with the credit card companies? I guess I'm lucky never to had a problem with an online purchase (so far).
    Ok I'll bit... How many ppl does it take thought before I get my Treo 650? It says 8 ppl are in line to get this phone. So does that mean when I buy two boosters one person will get a treo and i'll become number 8? I'm a little confused. Though a cell booster is a POS I would like a Treo 650 for $40. And credit card company's should cover any fraud that does occur. Let me know how it works out Glenn.

Timmay

[Edit]
    --------------------
    Umm.. this is never going to work Glenn, They need 8 more ppl (total of 32) before the next person get their Treo 650. This means that by the time a Treo 650 is shipped out $1280 worth of cell boosters have been sold (a net profit of $681 for the owner of the site. Not only that but If I wanted to get my free Treo 650 I would need 1736 ppl to sign up before I got my Treo seeing how it's first come first serve. Too good to be true... now does anyone want to help me get a free iPod b.c that really does work! hehehehe

Timmay
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 01/03/2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    This is actually a matrix scheme....they do work....for the first few people But if it takes 4 people for each person to get their Treo 650.....

The 25th person gets one when the 100th signs up....
    100th person gets one when the 400th signs up....
    400th person gets when....yea, 1600th person

Bottoms out at some point and only 1 out of 4 will ever receive an item. The matrix sites all got wiped out about a year and a half ago....lots of lawsuits and sites running away with the money and no responses....Largely due to this site and their lawsuits....most legitimate payment processors also froze funds from these companies leaving those IN the matrix stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Here is an MSNBC article about the "matrix craze"....

I got into it for a while, and luckily, ended up getting ALL my money back from the payment processesors after putting up a good fight....so Glenn, word of advice....don't buy into it....NOT a good deal Speaking from experience here....