Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to alert everyone to a situation that my turn out to be a Fraud.
    Justin801 agreed to upgrade my Treo650 to work on Verizon for a fee of $50.00. I sent him the phone via Federal Express and a check for $50.00.
    Justin has not returned the phone, won't answer his phone or email messages.
    He has upgraded the phone and is using it on verizon!! I sent the following letter to the Treo Central Administrators:

[B]Justin agreed to convert my Treo650 to Verizon and charge me $50.00. I mailed him my Treo650 (new) and a check for $50.00, to the following address:

Justin Truong

5066 W. Black Granite Way

West Valley City, UT 84120

Phone: 801-633-2565

I have called him several times but he will not respond since he got the Treo650. Kindly contact him and request that he return my Treo650 or I will file charges against him for Internet Fraud with the FBI. His phone number is 801-633-2565
    [/B][FONT=Arial]

If anyone knows Justin, please contact him and ask him to return the phone. It is not the price of the phone, but the principal that a fellow member would turn out to be unreliable. If for some reason Justin is not available please let me know, before I inform the authorities and file charges against him.
    Contact the FBI and your local police. Have them contact Verizon to verify that your phone's ESN is active on another person's account which would constitute theft. Be sure to supply them with a copy of the check, all email correspondence and the FedEx tracking number.
    The FBI will not do anything about this. #1, it's a local police matter. #2, it's way below the monetary threshold they require to investigate. I'd contact your local police. If that doesn't work, contact HIS local police. Ensure you have copies of all correspondance.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Is this for real, or an attempt to harass someone?

If you did send him the phone and money, you are the 2004 sucker of the year. Sorry, but that is just too much.

Now, is this Justin a real thief, or is he being setup for harassment?

Inquiring minds want to know...

If he is a thief, there are all sorts of fun things you can do. But if you are the fraudulent, I hope you are ready for some medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nshahzad
    Just wanted to alert everyone to a situation that my turn out to be a Fraud.
    Justin801 agreed to upgrade my Treo650 to work on Verizon for a fee of $50.00. I sent him the phone via Federal Express and a check for $50.00.
    Justin has not returned the phone, won't answer his phone or email messages.
    He has upgraded the phone and is using it on verizon!! I sent the following letter to the Treo Central Administrators:

[B]Justin agreed to convert my Treo650 to Verizon and charge me $50.00. I mailed him my Treo650 (new) and a check for $50.00, to the following address:

Justin Truong

5066 W. Black Granite Way

West Valley City, UT 84120

Phone: 801-633-2565

I have called him several times but he will not respond since he got the Treo650. Kindly contact him and request that he return my Treo650 or I will file charges against him for Internet Fraud with the FBI. His phone number is 801-633-2565
    [/B][FONT=Arial]

If anyone knows Justin, please contact him and ask him to return the phone. It is not the price of the phone, but the principal that a fellow member would turn out to be unreliable. If for some reason Justin is not available please let me know, before I inform the authorities and file charges against him.
    wow. you are really stupid.

I hope you get it back though.

FYI - this is a federal matter as it is interstate fraud.
  6.    #6  
    This is for real....the phone was sent to Justin via Federal Express. I may be a sucker, but I do trust people. I spoke to him twice, and he sounded very responsible. He has upgraded it and has been using it. I have the phone numbers he has called!!

Here is the email address Justin sent me several emils from: Justintruong@gmail.com
    Have you tried calling him on your phone? Maybe he would answer it. I would contact his local police and your cell carrier. If he has activated your phone it is fraud. How did he activate it on your account? Don't you have to call?
    DJ
    Last edited by dj81462; 12/26/2004 at 07:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    do you have lockine? report it stolen and get a new one. cancel the check
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    do you have lockine? report it stolen and get a new one. cancel the check
    There's a great idea. If the alegation is true, then the theif gets away scott free and the rest of use get to pay for it, indirectly via lockline.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    There's a great idea. If the alegation is true, then the theif gets away scott free and the rest of use get to pay for it, indirectly via lockline.
    But it IS stolen, isn't it?
    Ah, yes, occifer,
    I Fed-Exed my phone to the thief who stole it.........
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    So I guess if you took your car to get fixed by some small garage and they drove it around town and refused to give it back it would be ok?
    I think con men can steal too. The fact that he FedEx'd it doesn't change the reality of the other guy taking posession of something that is not his. I think that's clearly stealing.
    Since he entered into a contract with this person...this will probably be a civil matter that requires a lawyer or somehow taken to small claims court. Good luck!
    If nshahzad's story is true (and I say "if" because I'm not convinced that there isn't way more to this than he's telling us), there's no question that the Treo has been stolen in every legal sense of the word. If you rented a car from Hertz for 1 day, and 10 days later you still haven't returned it, and you refused to answer your phone when they called to ask about it, it's a pretty good bet that they and the police would consider the car "stolen". The fact that they handed you the key would be irrelevant in light of the fact that they would have clear documentation with your signature that you could only have the car for a limited time.

In the same way, nshahzad better have some sort of documentation (copies of emails or other correspondence) in which the reason and conditions under which he sent this guy the phone are spelled out. If he has no such documentation, then the fact that he FedEx-ed it to him could easily be construed as proof that he gave him the phone or loaned it to him unconditionally.

Someone please tell me who in their right mind would send a $600 piece of electronic equipment to someone they do not know and who isn't a certified business that deals with this product? There is a vast difference between "trust" and "gullibility". A bank might allow you to send in a deposit by mail and then withdraw the money at the banking center. But if I told you "send me $600 in an envelope...I'll hold it and then give it back to you with interest when you need it", would you believe me?

If so, my address is...
    May not be a criminal matter....If you entered into a verbal contract it is civil. It would be like if you went and filled your car up with gas. Went to pay but you had no money. If you said to the clerk, " I'll be right back with some cash" and they agreed to let you....if you never come back it is a civil issue not a criminal one. Law may be different in your state..I am a cop in SC so my law may not apply to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgooge
    May not be a criminal matter....If you entered into a verbal contract it is civil. It would be like if you went and filled your car up with gas. Went to pay but you had no money. If you said to the clerk, " I'll be right back with some cash" and they agreed to let you....if you never come back it is a civil issue not a criminal one. Law may be different in your state..I am a cop in SC so my law may not apply to you.

I checked in the Florida statutes, and there's nothing under "what the hell are you doing giving away expensive sh**".
    I would report it to the FBI. A stolen phone could be used for a terrorist act.
    If you send me $50 along with what ever is left of your common sence I will go to Utah and laugh my *** of with Justin at your stupidity.
    It's a crime in every state (including SC) to intentionally fail to return possssion of property that was under what is technically a bailment. The presence of a contract as well is irrelevant. It is also a civil wrong of course (as is virtually every crime as well) but being a civil wrong does not make it noncriminal. It is usually called theft by fraud or some variation of that. This does not mean you will find a government agency to prosecute. And I, too, believe there is probably more to this than we have heard. This may well be a questionof differing interpretations of facts--which, if reasonable, may take it out of the criminal domain entirely. But if the facts are clear, and the possessor intended to deprive the owner of rightful possession, it would not be unclear at all.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast