Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think folks need to look past Fink's frustration and look at the central point of his argument, as it has a lot of merit. Ebay varies from regular retail in one major way: The ebay retailer can inflict damage on their buyers.

For instance, if you go to a local store and return a product, they do not retaliate against you publicly. There is a tendency on ebay, however, for ebay retailers to seek revenge on buyers they have disagreements with.

As an example, I purchased an item from a reputable seller last year, (buy it now, paid immediately) and the product did not show for a week. After multiple emails with no response, I posted a negative feedback. The seller then responded a few days later with a vague revenge negative feedback on me. I did receive the product about a week after that.

The bottom line is he was a reputable seller who had messed up. Instead of taking this constructive negative feedback like a man, he posted revenge feedback, which damaged me much more than him.

Now I look at good seller's negative feedback, and check to see how often they post revenge feedback. If it's almost every transaction that goes bad, then I suspect it's a seller who can't take a little criticism. If you are an ebay seller who blames your customer each time there's a problem, I will avoid you.

Ebay should add a column for negative "revenge" feedback that's been posted after original negative feedback
    that is 100% right. I don't know Dan and don't care about Dan, just wanted to comment about the above post. Ebay retailers do use feedbacks as a way to threaten its buyers. They have tens of thousands of feedback, so one negative is not going to effect them in any large way, but one negative feedback will hurt average Joe Schmoe buy bigtime. As a buyer, once you've paid, YOU HAVE FULFILLED YOUR END OF THE AGREEMENT. NOW THE SELLER MUST GIVE YOU POSITIVE FEEDBACK FIRST. I've bought hundreds of items on ebay, and THIS NEVER HAPPENS. They ALWAYS WAIT until you've given them positive feedback before they'll go back and give you yours. My only negative feedback out of 500+ positives is from a retaliatory negative, after the seller took 3+ weeks to get me the item. These ebay "Power Sellers" have too much leverage on us average buyers. If you've paid, especially with "buy it now," you should AUTOMATICALLY GET A POSITIVE FEEDBACK.
    Like Woof and the others, I am not Dan... but I wish I were, as I would have access to tons of great gadgets and accessories!!!
    While I agree that the feedback system can be abused on ebay, this thread isn't really about that.
    finkkatz said certain things about his dealings with Dan that I have proven to be false, namely the length of time it took his items to arrive. He was bagging on Dan for using ebay's faulty system against him, when in reality the negative feedback Dan left for him was justified because finkkatz lied in the feedback he left for Dan.

Dan did exactly what any sensible person would do. If someone lied about my performance and gave me other than positive feedback when I deserved positive, I would certainly give them negative and call out the fact that they lied. This is exactly what Dan did. If that's retaliatory then so be it. finkkatz brought it on himself.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    finkkatz has been rather quiet lately. I guess he choked on the crow he had to eat.
    I, too, had a long delay of delivery from an item from Dan probably a year ago. His communication was sporadic. I gave him a positive, but put in my rating comment that the shipping was somewhat long. He responded, in kind, by giving me a positive rating with a "SOMEWHAT NO PATIENCE" rant in his comment. He also e-mailed me a single word e-mail "RELAX!!!" - exactly like that. I e-mailed him back telling him he was being childish and that was not the way to do business. He apologized and even offerred to contact eBAY to take his rant out of his rating comment for me. Didn't bother me one bit, but his attitude did. He apologized, we made up, and I continue to buy from him.

Anyway, long story short, fink has a point that Dan CAN be an ogre sometimes, but instead of complaing to us, why not be proactive and let Dan know you don't appreciate his business sense in this case. If he continues to be rude, then by all means quit using him. He was understanding and apologetic to me, which was all I needed.

Good luck!
    Matt
    Thanks for the comments about my post, Linh.

Clue
    Problem is that its hard to use the eBay feedback system to rate customer service. One seller I bought from probably shipped to my old address (my fault for not updating it in both eBay and PayPal). I politely contacted a few times if he had shipped the item yet or received a RTS and explained what I thought happened. Finally I received a response that was rude and didn't even answer my questions. I was like wtf I just said that it was my fault, I'm just trying to find my item...

So anyway I tried to get the item from old address but no luck. I gave two neutral ratings because it wasn't his fault but he handled the situation really poorly, and he retaliated with two negative ratings.

It happens, though most likely not in Dan's case. I will be buying more from him now.
    Well, After reading this thread on New Years Eve. I find all comments very interesting. First like to thank all my loyal customers both past and current. It's your business that made us another outstanding year! We appreciate It very much and am blessed to have your business. It's always been our goal to please each and every customer. Sometimes we have fail to do that and i am deeply sorry to loose your business.
    Selling to thousands of customers, Sometimes you do loose some customer service. We are first to amit that we are five years young here in business and always working on new ways to please our customers.
    Those of you that feel you were treated poorly by us. We are sorry and as a company may we *learn the cost of our actions and improved*.
    May everyone that do business with us take the time and read our 99.2% customer approval rating.. It's one of the highest on eBay. We work hard and long to take care of our customers. Our feedback pretty well speaks for itself.
    May God Bless you all and give you a Healthy and peaceful New Year!
    Daniel Horton
    dans_cellular_accessories
    Why don't you have OEM sync + charge cables in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by danscellphones
    Well, After reading this thread on New Years Eve. I find all comments very interesting. First like to thank all my loyal customers both past and current. It's your business that made us another outstanding year! We appreciate It very much and am blessed to have your business. It's always been our goal to please each and every customer. Sometimes we have fail to do that and i am deeply sorry to loose your business.
    Selling to thousands of customers, Sometimes you do loose some customer service. We are first to amit that we are five years young here in business and always working on new ways to please our customers.
    Those of you that feel you were treated poorly by us. We are sorry and as a company may we *learn the cost of our actions and improved*.
    May everyone that do business with us take the time and read our 99.2% customer approval rating.. It's one of the highest on eBay. We work hard and long to take care of our customers. Our feedback pretty well speaks for itself.
    May God Bless you all and give you a Healthy and peaceful New Year!
    Daniel Horton
    dans_cellular_accessories
    It has been posted elsewhere that he will have them starting January 21st. Heck, even PalmOne and TCshop doesn't have the treo 650 cradles yet.
    ~'kito
    They are not available yet. Latest ETA is 1-15-05 on the travel and laptop cables and ETA on the cradles are 1-21-05.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    I've seen non-OEM cables on ebay, I would not recommend them. Dan is a very good ebay retailer, with high shipping costs. However, even with the shipping costs, you will get it cheaper through him than PalmONe and other retailers. Also, check other ebay retailers when the OEM's are in stock, you may find it cheaper than Dan. Regarding the non-OEM's, I had so many problems with the connectors popping out and causing resets on my 600. I will never buy a non-OEM cable again for my Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by danscellphones
    They are not available yet. Latest ETA is 1-15-05 on the travel and laptop cables and ETA on the cradles are 1-21-05.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    I think it's funny that Dan's Cellular has left positive feedback praising users as "1 in a million" to at least a hundred people. He must do tremednous business to have that kind of sample. :-)
    Keep an eye on some of the items via Dan's ebay list though. Sometimes, the combined item price (like a 650 case and OEM hybrid headset) is more than if you bought them separate. I have a question in to them about this, really a suggestion that maybe the combined should be at a minimum the same price ;->

Update: prices are constantly changing, so take the best deal.
    Last edited by NCTreo600; 01/10/2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Hey Dan, I just ordered some stuff from you and I hope it gets here on time. I know where you are buddy .

Regarding Fink, I think he made a valid point about how some sellers give buyers negative feedback upon making a mistake when dealing with buyers. Guys, just understand that people ger fraustrated when they go through stuff like this, and I believe that was what Fink was going through. All the insults towards him does not help. Lets try to understand what he is saying first and then correct him if he is wrong like what NCtreo600 and Cluemeister did.

PS: please dont attack my comments or anything , beacause I really dont want to read this thread anymore....it took me a while to get to this page...
    David
    Hey Dan I want to buy a few items and have been lingering on buying them because I don't know how to do multiple buys with the shipping. If I want to buy the HBH 660 w/oem charger. (I take it that's the OEM car charger for the Sony headset and not the treo) and the OEM car charger for my phone. How would I go about doing that.

I also want a cradle table top charger.... I guess im waiting till the 21st

Also when will you be carrying this case?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

PS I think you should give better shipping prices for people who buy more than 1 item. You give half off on the other item but considering shipping is nowhere near what you charge. If you order 4 to 5 items you should offer package shipping or free shipping over a certain amount. Maybe people will make bigger orders just to fill the requirements.

Example if you do normal shipping for 1st item and half off the next item shipping (thats what you have now). But maybe like if you have every other item over 2 items its an extra $2 per item. or if you order over $100 you get free shpping. I think people would end up spending the $100 just to get the free shipping.

I dont know its just a thought...
    Last edited by michael82574; 01/10/2005 at 06:26 AM.
    I too don't know how this 1/2 off shipping works. Are we allowed to "lower" our shipping costs in PayPal? I don't think so...
    eBay ratings are bogus.
    A LOT of vendors (and I do not insinuate anything about Dan as I have bought from him without a problem) will give you negative feedback if you give negative feedback. This is unjust but that's the way the system currently works.
    I have seen other vendors who very clearly retaliate against anybody who gives them negative feedback even if they deserved it.
    WyomingBen is a prime example.
    Recently I ordered a motorycle manual from him. On his auction page he had a shipping calculator. The calculator basis it's calculation on standard delivery and that is what he charges, but then he ships in that godawful method that will EVENTUALLY get your product to you within 1-2 months.
    If you read his feedback he has lots of complaints of people waiting over 30 days to receive their order. And if you look closely you will see that every single person that complained received a negative feedback from the seller.
    He is vague with statments like "Would not do business with again" as if that person would ever ORDER from him again.
    So people are afraid to give negative feedback for fear of receiving negative feedback and having some eBay sellers refuse them sales based on their feedback.

So people have a choice, leave good feedback and get good feedback, leave bad and receive bad, or just not leave feedback at all. Amazing how the vendors positive ratings go up.
    In addition to nite owl's comments, I found that some sellers artificially raise their feedback rating by buying many small items. For instance, I know of a seller who bought several recipes for on ebay for under a dollar each, gathering a positive feedback for each. Then when he goes to sell a big ticket item, it makes him look like a great seller, because his feedback is artificially inflated.

Ebay better look at improving their ratings system. Revenge feedback by vendors and artificially inflated ratings will become a big problem as ebay ventures into bigger ticket items.

Clue
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast