1.    #1  
    Ordering from Handspring is a crap-shoot. Obviously, some people on these boards have gotten quick shipment , and others haven't .

Out of a desire to avoid NY sales tax (8.25%)and avoid giving my customer-service-impaired local Staples any more business than I had to, I ordered my VDX Express delivery from the Handspring website midday last Thursday.

The website DOES say to allow 4 to 7 days for shipment, but I figured, since it's not a big gift season, and since I ordered in Graphite, probably their LEAST popular color, they'd be able to pluck one off the shelf and ship it to me pretty quickly. I was heartened when I called on Friday and received confirmation that my order was in fact packed and ready to go.

Only problem is, it's Tuesday, and it's still sitting there -- apparently waiting for a sufficient number of other orders to accumulate for Handspring to consider it worth their time to call UPS to arrange a pickup .

I know it's not even been a week, and I could understand if there was a delay caused by a backorder, or if I was ordering during the Graduation/Father's Day period for example... but to know the damn thing has been ready to ship for 3 business days and is just sitting there on a dock, especially when I ordered Express Delivery because I was eager to get it ASAP...

To top it all off, I then resolved to just suck it up and eat the NY sales tax, to humble myself and give those slackers at Staples my business, but now Handspring says since the order's ready to ship -- although they can't tell me with any specificity WHEN it will -- they won't even let me cancel the order!

Damn, this VDX better be the best damn thing since the Sharp Wizard...

[This message has been edited by leojbramble (edited 07-25-2000).]
    I purchased my BDV earlier this month. It was shipped on the 7th day, just like the Handspring site states.

The Graphite Deluxe Visor is the one that's sold the most by amazon.com. Blue is 2nd.[/B]

They still don't get that whole "customer service thing" yet, do they?

I can order from any number of online companies and receive the product the VERY next day...sometimes without even an additional charge.

As for canceling the order, you CAN just refuse delivery and have it sent back that way...it adds to their costs, so, they SHOULD allow you to just cancel it, but oh well...

4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer:
    They still don't get that whole "customer service thing" yet, do they?

I can order from any number of online companies and receive the product the VERY next day...sometimes without even an additional charge.

As for canceling the order, you CAN just refuse delivery and have it sent back that way...it adds to their costs, so, they SHOULD allow you to just cancel it, but oh well...

Yeah, Handspring has a lot to learn about customer service. Whether their customer service is outsourced or not, Handspring hired them to represent them, so Handspring is accountable.

Handspring can only get away with the poor level of customer service to the extent that they do because for the time being they have a unique product; but someday a strong competitor will come along at a comparable value, and customers' long memories of the way they were treated will determine whether they will stay loyal to HS or flock to the competition.

Do we think Handspring is smart enough to monitor this board...?