1.    #1  
    Did anyone noticed that the the one week icon is no longer on the Handspring site? Could it be that handspring shipped all its available stock to retail stores? Could it be that handspring is back-ordered once again?
    Well, the Shipping Status page still shows 1 week.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Hmmm, I ordered 3 Visors last Tuesday (3/21 - one week ago today) and I haven't yet received the "Order Shipped" email.

I fear that my order has been redirected to some Best Buy. I'll post to the "Visor Received Log" topic when the order arrives.
    I ordered my BDV on Friday the 17th, received a ship confirmation on Tuesday the 21st and received it from California via Standard Delivery on Saturday. Not too bad.

The only issue so far is that I did not know that Windows NT doesn't support USB ports. Therefore, I wasn't able to HotSync yet and I'm still working with my old pilot. The IS group at my company is loading Win98 for me right now on my primary computer.
    Could be that they are pushing for customers to buy a Visor on the retail end and not on the site. They still offer to sell the visor online but I think that their push is for retail sales.
  6.    #6  
    LewisgProd:

I doubt that. Why would they pushing retail sales when they make more money by selling it online?

yardie:

I read in an article that Handspring was looking to sell more at the retail stores so that they could concentrate more on the Springboard modules and improvements on the system. They may make more $$$ by selling it on the web but in the long run market share is determined through retail sales. Ever notice that there has been no formal announcement of the number of Visors sold via the web site?
    While Handspring might make more per unit selling via the web, they're almost sure to make more in the long run via retail due to greater volume.

Would you rather make a profit of 5% on 100,000 units or 3% on 1,000,000 units?

Selling via retail brings in the people who are already in the store to buy something else. It also harnesses the Sunday advertising inserts that Staples, CompUSA, and BestBuy publish in many newspapers each week.

If I'm Handspring, I'd happily give the retail units their cut to help with the marketing and order fulfillment.

[This message has been edited by wemmick (edited 03-30-2000).]
    "Why would they pushing retail sales when they make more money by selling it online?"

In fact many manufacturers that sell directly really want customers to buy through their distribution / retail channels. Selling direct, one unit at a time, is a pain.

Palm is a perfect example. Their website sells at list price, and you can get it cheaper at almost any online shop or big box retailer. So where do you think they really want you to buy?

[This message has been edited by BruceMc (edited 03-30-2000).]
  10.    #10  
    The arguement about Handspring selling 100,000 via its web site vs selling 1,000,000 via retail would make sense if Handspring actually had 1 million units to sell. Handspring can barely keep up with the orders it is getting via its web site at the moment. I would think that Handspring in the long run would still want to sell visors on its web site. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprise if Handspring start offering next day shipping (you order today and its shipped to you tommorow).

Just my 2 cents
  11.    #11  
    Quote:
    I read in an article that Handspring was looking to sell more at the retail stores so that they could concentrate more on the Springboard modules and improvements on the system
    End of Quote.

Really? I could have swore that I read somewhere that Handspring itself is not handling its web orders, but like just about every other e-tailer, they are being handled by a 3rd party company.
    Originally posted by yardie:
    Quote:
    ...but like just about every other e-tailer, they are being handled by a 3rd party company.
    While this is true, the fact remains that we are "buying" from Handspring and not the 3rd party. It's just another big business out-source that, in this case, isn't working so great. I have to believe that Staple's, CompUSA, and BestBuy are NOT buying through the same 3rd party sales group, but are dealing with Handspring directly.

Putting the "customer service" burden onto the retailers only makes sense for any consumer product. This way, if your Visor doesn't work when you get it home, you take it back to the store for an exchange. Very few purchasers will call the manufacturer. The poor "red shirts" at Staple's will bear the brunt of it for Handspring.

Maybe, just maybe, this will allow Donna, Jeff, and company, to concentrate more on enhancements and new products (and even push the Springboard developers) and let the retailers handle the customer service.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!