1.    #1  
    Just got off the phone with Handspring customer service. I wanted to return my Visor because I'm tired of waiting for the USB driver for Win 2000. No way they say. Even though I've used the unit once and have been patiently waiting there are no exceptions. I'd try a serial cradle but no third party sells them and Handspring can't get one to me for more than a week.

I've decided to ditch the unit and buy a Palm. New technology companies like Handspring need to focus on customer service when they are in their early phases of releasing new products and making a name for themselves. Otherwise it's just too easy to defect to the competitors.
    Relax. Win 2000 is so new, and so buggy, you wouldn't have much fun with your cradle anyway
    TPower:

You ought to be patient. Windows2000 was just released and still have a lot of bugs - 63,000 was the last figure I saw in a news feature. USB is far more superior in terms of speed (4x more) and stability than Serial.

Just my 2 cents...
  4.    #4  
    The problem isn't with Win 2000: it's with Handspring's product development,engineering, and customer service

Like most software developers we've been testing our software with beta verstions of Win 2000 for a few months, making sure that our software is compliant so that our users won't expereince problems.

Though WIN 2K might have 63,000 bugs, the WIN 2K SDK has been available to developers for many months and USB protocols are well tested. The software and hardware development communities have been well aware of the Win 2000 features for a long time.

I know that Palm hasn't released their USB drivers either, but Palm users have any number of sources to buy Palm accessories if they need to; I couldn't find any sources for the Visor serial cradle (Yardie, USB might be faster for data-heavy devices like digital cameras or audio devices, but standard data synchronizing on a Visor isn't going to take advantage of the increased performance--there just isn't that much data being transfered.) Handspring said that it would be well over a week before they could get me a serial cradle.

I don't need to relax--I expect the highest standard of customer service when I spend $180.00 and Handspring is falling down on the job.
    Send my your name, address and phone number (Overnight shipping purpose) and I will overnight you my extra serial cradle. Send info. to jbhillar@pacbell.net.
    First off, I have been using Win2K professional since June (beta 2). It is not buggy that I have found. The 63,000 "bugs" were not bugs, but instances found by a software code maximizing program where the Win2K code could be made more efficient. The 63,000 "bugs" statement was corrected in several publications the day after it came out in the news. I enjoy using Win2K and like the fact that it is a LOT more fault tolerant then NT 4.

As to hot synching, I do it several times a day using the serial cradle. I spent the extra $20 dollars so that I wouldn't have to wait for the Win2K drivers. However, I am anxiously looking forward to using the USB cradle when the drivers are available.

Later,

Craig Hook
  7. KD
    GO ahead and get a Palm...we don't need anymore bitchers here...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by KD:
    GO ahead and get a Palm...we don't need anymore bitchers here...
    Nice to see that people can be so friendly...

Hey tpower--

I was in the same boat as you.. sick of waiting for win2k drivers (and sick of the USB cradle not compatible with NT I use here at work)..

For that and others reasons I ditched the Visor and got a Palm Vx.. never been happier.
    Originally posted by tpower:
    Just got off the phone with Handspring customer service. I wanted to return my Visor because I'm tired of waiting for the USB driver for Win 2000. No way they say. Even though I've used the unit once and have been patiently waiting there are no exceptions. I'd try a serial cradle but no third party sells them and Handspring can't get one to me for more than a week.
    I've decided to ditch the unit and buy a Palm. New technology companies like Handspring need to focus on customer service when they are in their early phases of releasing new products and making a name for themselves. Otherwise it's just too easy to defect to the competitors.
    It is not just Handspring's fault. MS changed the USB driver and then for good measure screwed the drivers up real good.

Instead of punting, you could install a dual boot system to synch with. MS 2000 Pro is a good system but it does have problems. (as usual).