Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    OK!!! I finally received my Graphite Visor Deluxe. Haven't installed any software yet. Just wanted to update those waiting for news.
    I ordered by phone on October 5th., and I finally received it on Saturday,
    November 27th.; roughly a 7-week wait. I was dinged for ~ CAN$385/- on November 13th., and the VDx was shipped on November 18th. It was shipped via US Priority Mail, and arrived by Canada Post. I had to pay Customs duty of ~ CAN$59/-. So, it all comes to a grand total of ~ CAN$450/-.

It has been a long wait. I can't tell you if it was worth it as when I finally received it, I was not feeling overjoyed as I guess the long wait for this product killed my enthusiasm of actually receiving this product. My primary reason to get this vs the Palm Vx was the Springboard slot. If it did not have this slot, I would have gone for a Palm Vx. However, the potential of so many possible Springboard modules staggers the mind. Hopefully, we don't have to wait as long for these Springboard modules to "spring" up !!!

So, for those of you Canadians still waiting to receive it, good luck to you all.
    "My primary reason to get this vs the Palm Vx was the Springboard slot. If it did not have this slot, I would have gone for a Palm Vx."

Really? Around here after all taxes, etc, the Vx is almost CAD$800. Almost twice as much as the Visor Deluxe, without springboard, colours, USB, etc. 3COM really should work on their prices...
    Eug,

Whether 3COM dropped their prices or not, do you see any add-ons for the Palm devices that you might be able to use? The only ones that are available is a memory upgrade and/or pager. And that's been around for like 2 years. Have you seen any other devices that you can add-on??

So, if 3COM dropped their price down to the Visor Deluxe price, what would that do, there are some who would go for either device depending on what they need it for.

On one hand you have a device that runs Palm applications and 2 possible add-on modules which is the Palm Vx. On the other hand, you have a device that runs Palm applications with Springboard modules i.e. MP3, 6-1 pack, GPS.

Which one would you get, if they were both the same price?

Well, for me, that would be the Handspring model. Nuff' said.

"Whether 3COM dropped their prices or not, do you see any add-ons for the Palm devices that you might be able to use? The only ones that are available is a memory upgrade and/or pager. And that's been around for like 2 years. Have you seen any other devices that you can add-on??"

I like the idea of the springboard, and I hope it doesn't become the cartridge of yesteryear, like the Atari 800 or IBM PCjr.

Actually, if the Palm Vx were the same price as the Visor, I probably would have bought the Palm Vx.

1) FLASH memory is a BIG thing - data backup built-in and upgradable OS.
    2) Looks and size are important for some people. I'd pay $40 more for a sleek Visor design with the exact same function.
    3) I'm guessing that while the springboard will be easier to use and more PnP, much can be done through the Palm's serial port. My fave idea a hookup to my GSM phone so I can do wireless stuff.
    4) Compatibility - Palm is still the standard. Visor is a clone. There is already much software out there that is documented NOT to work properly with the Visor.

I don't have any real love of either company. I go for most bang for the buck. Until the springboard is more than vapourware, the Palm Vx is superior in my mind in reality. And, how many of you are going to use the Visor as GPS system or a pager. I'm not. I'm now even wondering about that MP3 option, because it seems the price won't be much cheaper than a standalone unit, and it will likely be bigger than a standalone unit. However, overall the potential of the Visor and the price made me choose the Visor. For what it does, the current (Canadian) pricing for the Palm Vx makes it a ripoff.

Just wondering what range of order numbers you have. I have one in the 22300's and I was told delivery within 2 weeks, which would be 7 weeks (ordered Oct. 23).

Patiently waiting,

Eug
    It's been a week-and-a-half now since the Canadian orders were supposedly shipped--by some kind of "priority" method. So, where's the flooding of reports of Canadians having received their Visors?

Handspring, are you listening???
    I wrote a little while back that even if they did ship on the Sat. last week via USPS Priority Mail, you shouldn't really expect to receive your Visor until today. However, if it doesn't come in the next couple of days, you can assume it wasn't shipped on time. When I called yesterday, mine had NOT been shipped, but I didn't order until the 23rd of Oct., and they had only shipping data until the 24th of Nov.

Irony - I live a block from Bloor St., which is supposedly the street where the Handspring order centre is located.

(It often takes a week for USPS Priority Mail in my experience, and I live in downtown Toronto, not the boonies. And, once something got lost - took almost a month for it to get to me via "Priority" Mail.)
    Eug

My order supposedly shipped on Nov. 19. How can a service call itself "priority" when it hasn't reached its destination after ten days?
  9.    #69  
    Indeed - this is crazy.

According to the CSR and one of Handspring's internal customer service people, my Visor shipped on the 18th. Still not here. In the meantime, I have received two letters from the US (Florida and CT), sent regular mail. Both took 5 days (not business days, but regular days!) to get to Vancouver.

Even if the USPS cycle team took the parcel themselves and biked it to me, it would have been here by now.

Two possible reasons - the Christmas parcel rush or Handspring didn't ship on the 18th and 19th even though they are telling us they did.

Stop this ride, I want to get off.

[This message has been edited by Rubberdemon (edited 11-29-1999).]
    get a card from poste canada regarding parcell
    can't pickup today, need to wait tomorrow, need to pay 70.81 $ for gst and other crappy tax...
    order over the phone september 16
    entering in new database october 4
    credit card billed november 19
    shiped from warehouse november 23

called 47 times, speak to all supervisor, send 9 e-mail to Donna 6 to Barabara, 12 to all other upper-manager people

kep you post if i get the right color and if it's not defective......
    Thanks, DrPhreak. Please keep us posted. Any little morsel of hope is all that's keeping Handspring from getting a really angry email from me. And even THAT'S not going to work much longer.
    Thanks, DrPhreak. Please keep us posted. Any little morsel of hope is all that's keeping Handspring from getting a really angry email from me. And even THAT'S not going to work much longer.
    I haven't seen anybody discussing the delay associated with changing one's order -- I have been told on 2 occassions that if you change an order after it is placed that shipping will be delayed by an extra 2 - 3 weeks (i.e. delivery will be somewhere in the 6-9 weeks range).

I ordered on Oct 26, changed my order around Nov 14, and confirmed it today. Yes, the changes "stuck" and the CSR (very helpful chap) confirmed that the order has not shipped yet, noting again the 2-3 week delay associated with changes to the original order (I changed colours and added stylii). I don't know the reason for the delay, but at least the CSR's have been up-front and consistent about it. I just hope to see my VDx by Christmas...
    rubberdemon: I saw your post in the accesories forum (rest of the 5-pack thread) and was wondering if maybe some of us fellow vancouverites can pool together to split a 5-pack of stylus...I'm looking at either the ice or yellow one. Anyone else interested? Or is there any vancouverite out there who has ordered a 5-pack and is just dying to split it with us?

I know I may be posting this message in the wrong forum, but figured more vancouverites/canadians check this thread more frequently than the other one...

15.    #75  
    Hey Visordoc;

I'd definitely be interested. I'm getting a blue Visor, so I'd be into a blue stylus. I'd take a black one too if there were only two of us - or if someone else went in and had their heart set on blue.

Let's see if anyone else is interested, otherwise we can email off forum. Even if someone from outside Vancouver was interested, it would still be cheaper and easier than paying someone in the US.

However, since they're not sending orders to Canada any more we could have a bit of a problem. I have a friend in Seattle who could forward an order, but time might be too tight to get an order before Xmas (though I saw in the received forum someone in Seattle got their Visor in 13 days from order time!)

[This message has been edited by Rubberdemon (edited 11-30-1999).]
    rubberdemon:

Oops! I totally forgot about Handspring shutting out further Canadian orders! Guess we'll have to hope someone here in Van has ordered a pack, or we'll have try some friends in nearby Seattle.
    rubberdemon:

Oops! I totally forgot about Handspring shutting out further Canadian orders! Guess we'll have to hope someone here in Van has ordered a pack, or we'll have try some friends in nearby Seattle.

Sorry about the double-post...must be a muscle cramp in my mousebutton finger...

[This message has been edited by visordoc (edited 11-30-1999).]
    I've ordered a Green VDX on Oct 28 theu the web but still got nothing yet... seems like Canadian orders are having a lower priority and even ppl ordered afteer me (US ppl) got it already =( Hope they'll make it by Dec 13 or else I'll no get the visor before next year ...
    Just thought I'd share my experiences:
    - ordered first week October
    - told first week November that I would receive my order in 2 weeks
    - just got off the phone with customer service, they stated that Cdn orders have no tracking numbers and that my order would ship in 10 days to 2 weeks

It goes without saying that my patience is wearing a bit thin. I'm usually very patient, but after all these horror stories I see on visorcentral, I don't understand how HS can get away with all this. The delays do not bother me as much as the lack of concrete information and the misinformation.

I'll update you on my experiences once I get my Ice deluxe. Check back in about a month !
    No tracking number? What do you mean? If for shipping that's true. There is an order number however. Mine's in the 22300's.

Where did you get that sad face icon? I don't have that option.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast