Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    On a Sep 27 order for a Graphite Visor, after repeated phone calls to Handspring (Barbara Grossman), my credit card was dinged yesterday for C$260. I am waiting for a tracking number (promised by email), but it can't be long now...

It also took two emails to Donna D.

Does anyone know if shipments to Canada are Fedex overnight, USPS Priority or UPS Express ?

PS: If you happen to have an older Visa card with only 13 digits instead of 16, your order wil likely be held up. I know it was a factor with my own order.
    Well, according to our office's mail carrier, if it was shipped via USPS Priority last Thursday (which they were by all accounts, including Ms. Dubinsky's) they should have arrived here by now. The CSR I spoke to today said to forget about obtaining a tracking number since Canada Post is involved.

I gotta stay positive. My CC was dinged for just over $400 late last week, so they HAD to have actually shipped it.
  3.    #23  
    I just talked to a CSR too and he said the first batch went out on Thursay, Priority US mail. So if we can believe this, then according to the USPS web site, priority International mail takes 3 to 5 days to reach Canada.

Now, it doesn't say if this is business days or regular days. If we assume business days then the worst case 5 day scenario gives us Thursday as the last possible day of delivery. 3 days brings us to today.

Insert 'Jeopardy' waiting music here.

[This message has been edited by Rubberdemon (edited 11-23-1999).]
    Warning. I'm a pessimist...

USPS Priority Mail takes about a week if you include the weekend (5 business days), depending on where it's coming from and where it's going. You cannot track it. Sometimes though things get delayed, though. I had one that got lost for weeks. If your shipment was shipped Saturday, don't expect it until the Monday 9 days later, although you may get it earlier.

Expect also to have to head to your local Canada Post outlet to pick up the package, where they will likely charge you a $5 brokerage fee, GST and PST, or about $65 total for a Deluxe.
    Just an observation...

You know how food tastes exceptionally good when you are starving and have to wait for it to come... Well, I think Handspring somehow managed to succeed (whether intentionally or not) to pique our collective interest by selling online first and having us wait for 4-6 weeks before getting to play with the product. The anticipation of it heightens our desires even more so... I mean the Visor, of course!

Mind you, I'm only in week 4 of my blissful "anticipation"; maybe it will turn into desperate "starvation" by the time week 6 rolls along...

[This message has been edited by visordoc (edited 11-24-1999).]
    I still have not received my Graphite VDx yet. I was dinged for ~CAN$390/- last week on Wednesday night 7.00PM. I am still waiting to get this device...AARRRGGHHHHHH!!! The wait is intolerable for any product.
    Those who have received their VDx, was there any surplus charges to pay when you went to pick it up?? If so, how much?
    Just got mine in. I live in Montreal and ordered a blue DLX on September 15th, ya that's right so, I was patient...All of you with October orders, you shouldn't scream too much...

Anyways, I really got it in this second. The xtra cost from Canada Post is exactly 59.81 $, I noticed other Canada comments about having no extra fee to pay. I just wonder if they really received one ?

I am curious to know if anybody else in Montreal received one ? Am I the only Handspringer in this neck of the woods for the next months ?
    Well, I just received my graphite Visor Deluxe. The Canada Post truck drove up onto my driveway and my heart leapt out of my chest! (Okay, not literally, but almost...)
    I'm in Winnipeg. I had to pay $55 Canadian at the door for duty, taxes, etc. I was actually expecting to pay more (I once was charged $90 for a used computer.)

Well, I haven't even opened the parcel yet but I just had to log on first to tell you all the good news.

Now I hope the Visor works. :-)

Cheers from Winnipeg,
    -Tears in Rain

PS: I ordered it by phone on Oct. 13th and only called up a week ago to verify if they had all my data down correctly - they did.

[This message has been edited by Tears in Rain (edited 11-24-1999).]
  10.    #30  
    Congratulations! Looks like today might be the day for most of us up here. I'm only at 9am here on the west coast, so I'll find out in a few hours if I too finally get my Visor...
    Well, I will believe it when I see it. I was excited when I heard about the Canadian orders shipping last week. Just to be on the safe side I phoned Monday to check and see if they had all of my info correct only to find that my order had not yet shipped. I ordered Sept. 19, although they had Oct. 15 listed, the date I changed my order to a deluxe. Anyhow, after hearing that it had not shipped I insisted, for the first time, to speak to a supervisor. He said that they had "planned" on having all of the Can. orders out on Th. Fri. but did not reach their goal. He didn't really have any reason why not. He said my order would be "accelerated" or something like that (heard that before) and should ship in 3 to 6 days. Anyhow, don't believe everything you read. (esp. on HS website)
    P.S. Every once in a while I hear from people on these boards that e-mail Donna D. direct and often get results. Where do these people get the e-mail addresses for people who count. I searched the HS web site and all I found were lame forms for customer feedback for which I never recieved any response. Info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tears:

Ghaa!

Someone from Winnipeg (my town) received theirs? Grr... Can I come over and see it, just to dismiss my suspicions that this whole Handspring fiasco is one massive practical joke on me, and they in fact don't even exist?

I ordered October 1; when did you order yours? I ordered two, which could hold things up...

Fooey.

-Doug
  14.    #34  
    Well, nothing here in Vancouver today, dammit. I even left money for my girlfriend to pay any tax at the door when I went off to work. Oh well.

Tomorrow, yeah, that's it, tomorrow will be the big day for Canadian orders to come flooding in.

I can handle waiting another day or two, but what really gets me is that they knew for a long time that they were not yet shipping to Canada but didn't utter a peep about it. Communication is vital for online commerce - after all we can't see or touch the merchandise, or talk easily to a live person. Yet not a word until last week. I've been trying to think the best about Handspring, but I'm amazed that they still don't seem to get it. Oh well, forgive another rant on a site that's seen more than its fair share of them.

I'll post when (if) mine arrives.
    hang in there dude. if ya don't get it soon I'll be in Vancouver in January, I can always show it to you for a free scotch at the Fog and Suds
  16. Six
    Hello all

I was wondering.. does anybody know how brokerage/GST/PST works for a direct person-to-person UPS shipment? I found a good samaritan that might send me an extra Visor he got, and I'm wondering whether that could save me from those awful taxes that the express FedEx shipment was supposed to guard me from, according to the Handspring Customer Service guy (who was, by the way, quite amiable and friendly).

Thanks in advance!

Six of One, loggin'in from Quebec City...
    Hey Six,

See my message about UPS. I posted it as a new thread by accident and not in this seciton.
    Well folks,

I'm in Ottawa and just called my Credit Card company, I was dinged for about $415 canadian, looks like I've got a Blue Visor Deluxe with Serial Craddle (don't remember if I ordered the Stilus 5 pack). Unfortunatly, I wont be needing the my Visor since I picked up a Palm Vx some time ago when I cancled my Visor sometime in October. Nothing like that great HandSpring Customer Service. If anybody is interested in this unit, please drop me a line, it might be easier (read, i must be easier) than dealing with Handspring on this one. I'm just looking to re-coup my costs, you pre-pay for the unit, I'll ship any way you want. For obvious reasons, I'd rather keep the unit in Canada.

Gilligan
    gilles@techie.com
    Well folks,

I'm in Ottawa and just called my Credit Card company, I was dinged for about $415 canadian, looks like I've got a Blue Visor Deluxe with Serial Craddle (don't remember if I ordered the Stilus 5 pack). Unfortunatly, I wont be needing the my Visor since I picked up a Palm Vx some time ago when I cancled my Visor sometime in October. Nothing like that great HandSpring Customer Service. If anybody is interested in this unit, please drop me a line, it might be easier (read, i must be easier) than dealing with Handspring on this one. I'm just looking to re-coup my costs, you pre-pay for the unit, I'll ship any way you want. For obvious reasons, I'd rather keep the unit in Canada.

Gilligan
    gilles@techie.com
    Eug, My view is that PST/GST charges should only apply to direct purchases from retail establishments (business), and not to an individual buying something from another individual in the U.S. Duty charges may apply, but not in this case since it is computer related. What does everyone else think?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast