Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It seems obvious that the microphone was included on the Visor so that the multiple manufactures making voice recorder, cellphone, and possibly voice command modules would have a standardized mic interface to design to, and would save the cost of designing/manufacturing a mic in their own products. The microphone's location at the bottom (disputed earlier) enables a cellphone module to be small, with it's ear piece at the top, and allows other voice applications to be used while looking at the screen and keeping your mouth closer to the mic.
  2. wrp
    When you buy a CD player, it might be advertised as follows: "Includes a three-disc CD changer!"

By your logic, that would mean that it comes with the CDs necessary to USE this player. We all know how it works, so naturally we don't assume this when it comes to audio components. As advertised, the hypothetical CD player came with a fully-functional player and all it needs are some actual CDs to play.

Handspring advertised that the Visor came with a FULLY-FUNCTIONAL microphone built-in. It's there, you know, and I'd bet that it IS fully functional too! Catch? Sure, you need SOMETHING (software/hardware) that can USE it. While you were so busy looking for Handspring to tell you that you couldn't use it, did you ever stop to find something that COULD use it?

Search PalmGear or another software library and I doubt you'll find any such audio recording software for the PalmOS. Why? The PalmOS-based handhelds, aside from Visor, DO NOT HAVE ANY support for audio. So... if there aren't any current 3rd-party applications for sound... AND you *must* have read Handspring's list of included software (which _oddly_ did NOT come w/ audio software)... then I wonder where you got the wild idea that you could record "a few words from [your] infant son" right out-of-the box?

Handspring mentions the springboard requirement for use of the microphone in the user manual (which was available before you ordered). Granted, they don't make this obvious on the website, but you assumed too much. Apparently with all the "research" you did, you didn't absorb the other information. Sounds a little narrow-minded if you ask me.

Enjoy the 2MB Palm V. By the way, I have a mini cassette recorder for those first words if you'd like to purchase it as an upgrade to your Palm V.

It was an entertaining thread, thanks for your input.
    He's already gotten 350 for his VDX! If I had known you could pull this kind of profit, I would've ordered 10 of them! Easy thousand dollars right there!

------------------
    JakeBlues2
    "the BAND!"
    "I can not change the ebay ad after a bid has been made. Maybe you should do your homework as everyone here has suggested to me."

I suggest you go to this link:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/sellergui...ling-list.html

You'll see a topic on changing your listing. It clearly states you can change the title or description of your item or you can add or change text or an image. I don't think you can change your start bid, but that wasn't what I suggested. I suggested you update your listing with the clarified mic update you've been complaining about.

So I've done my homework, you should have done the same before you posted.
    Ok now for a real rant.
    I am one of those total slimeball loosers that works in the outsource indursty. I have no conection to handsping suport but I can respond in general to the way many of my coworkers deal with things.

1. phone techs will treat you with the same respect you treat us. theforefor if you give us a hard time and question ouer intelengece we will toe the hard line.on the flip siode if you are noce to us we will be nice to you.

2. in geneal and specificaly with a "new" prduct like the visor, support personal have little information on the product. additionaly, I would be suprised if the support team has many visors on site for support to play with. curently production on th visor is impacted. For those of you that dont understand that means that sales of the visor are greatr thhan even the wildse projections thiought possible in the business plan. unfortentiatly this also means that untel " refurb" units are processed TS don't get to play. rember that customer shipments will almost alwase take prestiance over interal "non profit" fufliment.

3. there is a cost to provide support. it is hard enough for a mainline computer vendor to provide support with current profit margens. although I have not seen and have no way to access the cost structure on a visor. i would be suprised if ther is more than a 15-20 dollar allowance for telophone support. so think about that for a mpoment that 20 bucks neads to cover phone bill computer and techs'. so how much do you think handspring can afford to pay their techs..... not that much.

well I better go take some calls lunch is over....

------------------
    jbloodwo,

Any clue why support has mis-typed so many phone orders?
  7. QL2
    Donsell,
    Since my order had so many typos that I had to make many calls to correct, I now know why.
    Good point, I guess Handspring gets what they pay for.

Gee, I typed this after drinking 3 beers and I still have less typos than Handspring's third party contractors.

Anybody care to try me with a CC number.

[This message has been edited by QL2 (edited 12-13-1999).]
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Ok now for a real rant.
    I am one of those total slime ball losers that works in the outsource industry. I have no connection to Handspring support but I can respond in general to the way many of my co-workers deal with things.

1. Phone techs will treat you with the same respect you treat us. Therefore if you give us a hard time and question our intelligence we will toe the hard line; on the flip side, if you are nice to us, we will be nice to you.

2. In general and specifically with “new” products like the Visor, support personnel have little information on the product. Additionally, I would be surprised if the support team has many visors on site for support to play with. Currently, production of the visor is impacted. For those of you that don’t understand, that means that sales of the visor are greater than even the wildest projections in the business plan. Unfortunately this also means that until "refurb" units are processed, TS staff don't get to play. Remember that customer shipments will almost always take precedence over internal "non profit" shipments.
    3. There is a cost to provide support. It is hard enough for a mainline computer vendor to provide support with current profit margins. Although I have not seen and have no way to access the cost structure on a visor, I would be surprised if there is more than a $15-$20 allowance for telephone support. So think about that for a moment. 20 bucks needs to cover the phone bill, computers and techs. So how much do you think handspring can afford to pay their techs? Not that much.....

Well I better go take some calls. Lunch is over....

PS It's really late and I'm really tired.

------------------
    ------------------------
    -Cyrus
    nima@ottawa.com

[This message has been edited by Cyrus (edited 12-21-1999).]
    >I am one of those total slime ball losers >that works in the outsource industry. I have >no connection to Handspring support but I >can respond in general to the way many of my >co-workers deal with things.

First, no one has said the outsourced folks were "total slime ball losers." Folks been feeling a great deal of pain due to poor CSR support and common sense would indicate that HS should step in and correct things with this organization they paid (probably very well) to handle order taking and customer support. If they do not do a good job, HS doesn't get customers. Which means no one gets paid and no product ships...etc. etc.

I'm speaking from experience at 2 different companies that rely heavily upon individuals providing phone support (both inhouse and outsourced/contracting). Both companies I worked (and currently work) provide phone support for order placement, status/tracking, and technical support.

>1. Phone techs will treat you with the same >respect you treat us. Therefore if you give >us a hard time and question our intelligence >we will toe the hard line; on the flip side, >if you are nice to us, we will be nice to >you.

[insert buzzer noise here]
    Wrong tactic. I worked directly for the training organization that took care of the 800 line for all orders for this 1 [formerly] major company in the US. The first thing they told the support team was that even if the customer is a jerk (my words not theirs) you must conduct yourself in a professional manner - do not take your feelings towards the customer out on that person. If it gets out of control then you ask the person if they would like to speak to a supervisor. You do not let your feelings interfer with the call and make a bad situation worse.

The company I work for now tapes all calls for security (and the customers are aware of this at the time their call is answered) and if the customer continues to be difficult they are "reported" to management and action is taken. I think they are advised (when extremely abusive) that their call will be terminated if they continue. There is a special situation with this company that further detail isn't necessary.

>2. In general and specifically with “new” >products like the Visor, support personnel >have little information on the product.

I agree, but they usually have the basics. And we're talking Customer Support for order taking, tracking, and status. Not support on the actual product from Tech Support. Infact, my limited contact with Tech Support has been very positive.

>Additionally, I would be surprised if the >support team has many visors on site for >support to play with.

I would be suprised too since they shouldn't have units to play with if they are only taking orders and providing customer support on order placement, status, and returns.

>Currently, production of the visor is >impacted. For those of you that don’t >understand, that means that sales of the >visor are greater than even the wildest >projections in the business plan.

I think most of us do understand this. That is why folks call Customer Support to ask status on orders. For the CSR to continually state it will take 4-6 weeks (and a caller is inquiring about status on an order that has already exceeded that timeframe) and not really know what they are talking about then that is where the problem comes in. It is up to a phone rep to make sure they are giving accurate information (and in some cases actually listen to the customer to understand the issue). If someone has already told them "it has been 8 weeks since my order was placed and you told me last week I'd have it by Friday..." can't you see why someone would be very angry and not trust the CSR when they are getting lip service and inaccurate information? If the CSR doesn't know, then proper procedure is to put the customer on hold (for a minimal amount of time) and find a supervisor to get a proper response. They should not continue reading from their manual when the scenario doesn't meet that requirement.

To use your suggested experience as an example, I can just see the difficulty in trying to get the status on an order when a customer is getting upset at the lack of response from the CSR and the CSR is turning around and getting upset with the customer or playing hardball. A rude CSR can exacerbate the situation - or 2 wrongs do not make a right and unfortunately the Customer is always right.

I can understand your defense of the profession, but I can't see defending a company that is obviously flawed and needs to correct how things are done and how calls are handled. If they are not held accountable then there is no incentive to improve. So HS is the only one to take the heat when they hired a 3rd party to handle this for them.

>3. There is a cost to provide support.
    [cut rest of text]

The discussion here has not been directed to Technical Support (at least not from what I've been reading). There were too many folks who hadn't received their unit to even be able to call Tech Support. And it isn't clear that HS has outsourced technical support, my guess is they haven't as that isn't a thing you usually leave to outsiders as the cost would be too great to keep them trainined. You bring in contractors, but you do not outsource the whole business to someone else. At least my experience has never seen this happen.

Think of it in another way...without customers the company cannot pay the salaries of the support people (outsourced or not) they hire. Lay-offs then take place. The first folks to probably get hit would be those individuals taking the orders over the phones...since no one is calling to place an order why do you need so many of them? Eventually you need less tech support...and so on.
    Yes, the outsource is lousy. That is something that HS can deal with down the road. But what did that horrid outsource company do for me??? When I made my complaints known to HS HQ I got:

2 extra Visor's that I made really good money on when sold at auction.
    A free leather case.
    Free overnight shipping.

Not a bad trade...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12