I just looked through all the consumer info on the web.
    My findings were interesting, if you receive unsolicited merchandise, it is yours free to do with as you wish, and the company can not seek payment or return of the merchandise.
    This is federal law, and in most states state law.
    This only applies if you the merchandise was sent to you, not another party that was miss delivered.
    What are your feelings?
    This law does not pertain to the Handspring shipping snafus.

Mike
    Why not?
    If you ordered it, and cancelled it, and they sent it anyway, you have to send it back or pay for it, because it was solicited even though the transaction was cancelled. If you never had any prior contact with Handspring, and they sent you one and then billed you, then you could keep it. The moment you said "send me one", even if you changed your mind before they shipped it, makes it solicted. If they ship you an extra one through their mistake, or send you one after you cancel it, you have to return it or pay for it. I don't think they could make you pay the return shipping, though.
    Yeah, but what if you ordered a BVD, and I've never heard of a visor or a PDA for that matter... and I get your shipment because some ***** couldn't right down a few numbers or spell right... and you're still waiting for an order from september while I'm here playing with my new thingamajig? I think that's what ddog is talking about.. If people are cetainly getting more than one shipment, some probably went to people who don't even know what the heck it is..
    To original poster?:

What is your source? Where did you extract this information?

To previous poster?:
    How can someone accept a delivery they did not order? These things are couriered, and traced. How do you figure someone will get a hold of one?
    well..of my understanding of the consumer protection laws and credit card fraud laws...

if you placed an order and then cancelled...but they shipped anyway...you owe them the $ or the product back...and should NOT have accepted the shipment.

if you inquired about ordering and never actually gave them a credit card number...you might have an argument that they send merchandise not ORDERED, just inquired about.

If you did order, and they did ship, and you got charged on your credit card...you can talk to your credit card compoany...BUT...if they wont back you (and think they wont IF you got something by error, NOT unsolicited) and they tell you to ship it back (like a responsible adult)...

HOWEVER...think of the damage and problems to your credit history etc (and check the increased interest clauses on some CC programs) over a $250 issue....can cost you that much in time energy and lawyers stuff if you really push it...

IF YOU DONT WANT IT>>>>>SEND IT BACK, just like your MOM taught you, do the right thing.

What do you think about the guy whose posted elsewhere (I believe it's PDAnewbie, if my memory is correct) who attempted to order with a Discover card, couldn't, "cancelled" the order, yet still got one? As HS has no CC to bill, no charge showed up. He seemed pretty satisfied about the whole deal.
    I was the one that got *TWO* Blue VD's for free. I haven't yet received any billing notice. I don't see how I could be billed...they never even took down my CC#...(they didn't accept DISCOVER). And technically, I NEVER cancelled the order...HS cancelled the order when they refused to take down my DISCOVER CC#.

Eh its all moot anyways, I am enjoying my Palm IIIx much more. I was getting really weird stares when i was using the blue VD. And one of the VD's stopped working when someone ever-so-slightly bumped into me )and one of my visors in my chest pocket) on the subway. Sheesh

[This message has been edited by PDA Newbie (edited 11-27-1999).]
    It was my understanding that the consumer protection law cited to start this thread applied only to deliveries via the U.S. Postal service. . . . any details?
    To the poster who got two blue visors, (not ordered)?:

How on earth did they enter your order without a credit card, or one they could not even charge for that matter? How did you receive your order? Fedex? UPS?

How did they arrange shipping without payment? I'm sorry. I don't want to call you a liar, so I won't.
    To the poster who got two blue visors, (not ordered)?:

How on earth did they enter your order without a credit card, or one they could not even charge for that matter? How did you receive your order? Fedex? UPS?

How did they arrange shipping without payment? I'm sorry. I don't want to call you a liar, so I won't.
    PDA Newbie. Sounds quite dishonest to me. Assuming what you say is correct, then essentially you are keeping what doesn't belong to you. Period. Very bad form.
    If HS isn't shipping out orders because they're getting cc numbers wrong, why would they ship it out if they didn't have one at all?

The only thing I can think of is someone else's cc got applied to this person's order so someone who ordered 1 got charged for 3.

If you didn't pay for the Visor you should ship them back. If you are not using them why are you discussing them?