1. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    If you're a cheap ******* like me, you might like this.

Echo.com online radio station. It's only for Windows and requires several plugins (flash, realplayer, I think that's it). You can pick your genres and rate songs, artists and albums. It also has chat stuff and you can listen to other people's stations, or have them listen to yours.

But the best bit is that you get points for every hour you listen which can be redeemed for Amazon gift certificates, then used for Visor accessories. I got an $18 Amazon gift certificate recently that I used to get an Innopak 2/V shipped for $30 total. It looks like you can also save up your gift certificates and use them at together, maybe even to get a free Visor (although that would take a while)

Disclaimer: the above link gives me referral credit. If you don't like that, you can go directly to http://www.echo.com/ and I don't get any referral credit. Please feel free to use either link and pick up some cool Visor stuff.

[Edited by Ash on 12-04-2000 at 10:24 AM]
    Originally posted by Ash:
    If you're a cheap ******* like me, you might like this.

Echo.com online radio station. It's only for Windows and requires several plugins (flash, realplayer, I think that's it). You can pick your genres and rate songs, artists and albums. It also has chat stuff and you can listen to other people's stations, or have them listen to yours.

But the best bit is that you get points for every hour you listen which can be redeemed for Amazon gift certificates, then used for Visor accessories. I got an $18 Amazon gift certificate recently that I used to get an Innopak 2/V shipped for $30 total. It looks like you can also save up your gift certificates and use them at together, maybe even to get a free Visor (although that would take a while)

Disclaimer: the above link gives me referral credit. If you don't like that, you can go directly to http://www.echo.com/ and I don't get any referral credit. Please feel free to use either link and pick up some cool Visor stuff.

Thanks for the tip, and mighty decent of you to be up-front about your referral credit, although I can't imagine why anyone should begrudge you that...

So can you just keep the window minimized and just rack up points while you're browsing other sites? How long did you have to listen to accumulate your $18.00 credit?
  3. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Yep, there's no reason you can't just leave the window in the background. You can also mute the volume so you don't actually listen if you're just interested in getting the points.

The only problem with that is that the site is somewhat unstable right now (they're in a beta period) so the connection is occasionally lost or the site goes down for maintenance. If you don't check on the window every now and then you won't be getting any credit while the connection is lost.

I think it took me a week or two of just using the client at work to get my first credit, and I'm over 3/4 of the way to a second one after another week.

I hate it when people post links to some cool deal without bothering to mention that they're getting something when you do that. If they're up front about it I don't mind giving them the credit, but if they aren't then I wonder if it's actually a good deal or if they just want the credit.

I found out about echo on alt.video.dvd where people are using it to get credit for movies.
    Thanks for the great info! I love that I can earn a gift certificate at Amazon.com. I have so many Visor toys I want to get....and now I can save some cash.

BTW, because you were so honest, I used you as the referal. Normally I think like you, that people are just trying to get a referal, so I visit the site, then close my browser, and go back on my own. =)

Also, if you want to throw me a favor back. I am an Amazon.com affiliate, and have a bunch of Visor items for sale on my site. Just click on the image under my name, and then visit the Geek side of the site. If you don't see what you are looking for, just use the search box and I will still get credit. Of course, totally up to you......

Thanks again for the info.....

Ryan
  5. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    You're welcome. I always go to sites like http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/ and http://www.videotropic.com before buying DVDs. It's too bad there isn't a similar site for Palm accessories. Echo.com is the first place I've found where you can get some substantial savings on stuff. It's cool that you can also use the credits for non-Palm accessories occasionally.

I'll make sure I make my next Visor Springboard purchase through your site.
    Thanks for the link! You got my referal!!

On a slightly related topic, I recently found a site called Bidcoins.com that gives you (suprise surprise!) BidCoins for going to listed websites, surfing their site, and refering others.

The reason to get these points, is that you can bid on items with them and get things for free!! (I'm currently bidding on a Palm IIIe for my mom. It isn't a visor, but if I can get it for free, I'll take it!)

You can either join by going to bidcoins.com, or if you wouldn't mind using me as your referer (I get some points if you do) email me at pcampano@vt.edu and I'll send you a link to the entrance where I get points (that's the only way I can get credit for it.)

Either way, enjoy!

------------------
    -Petro
    Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Please go once a day! Every day!

[email link wouldn't work]

[This message has been edited by Petro (edited 08-07-2000).]