Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    This has been discussed in other forums such as Treo 300. If you read your advantage agreement (AA) or terms of service (TOS), it specifically states that using vision services as your ISP is not in your contract people. Do a search for these terms and get educated. We can use any Sprint phone on vision all we want. They want to limit the abusers that use it as a modem because it takes up a lot of capacity on their network. People think "I don't need to get a dialup ISP, I have a vision modem phone which is faster." Those are the people Sprint is trying to discourage.
    All true, but the original poster did NOT use his Treo 600 as a modem, just Blazer, etc. From what I can see, that is not againts the TOS, yet SPCS cut off his Vision without warining.

This really makes it apparent that they cannot distinguish Treo Blazer data use and modem (PDANet, Wireless Modem) data use. Hmmm.....
    Originally posted by jonathanuy

All true, but the original poster did NOT use his Treo 600 as a modem, just Blazer, etc. From what I can see, that is not againts the TOS, yet SPCS cut off his Vision without warining.

This really makes it apparent that they cannot distinguish Treo Blazer data use and modem (PDANet, Wireless Modem) data use. Hmmm.....
    Sorry, but I was replying to the previous post regarding what "unlimited vision" means. But you have a good point. Blazer 3 supposedly doesn't use proxies, so I don't know how they would be able to determine who's using what.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    ChemEngr, you're right and I agree. What concerns me is if indeed this guy didn't use his Treo 600 as modem then Sprint's totally in the wrong here. I have not nor do I intend to use my Treo as modem, so I shouldn't worry right? But if this is true, then maybe we're not as safe as we think. Sprint can make these claims and cut our service off without a thought. I would be very angry if they did this to me as an honest customer who is following their rules. The sadder part is the Sprint doesn't document what is considered abuse anywhere. Finally, how do I prove, if I was accused, that I never used the Treo 600 as a modem. I've always heard people say that Sprint doesn't know exactly what goes across their network. Now I'm starting to think that they don't. They're just using some silly guidelines to try and get the people who abuse the service.
    If Sprint is indeed randomly cutting off service depending ONLY on how much data is downloaded, then they are really ripe to be sued.

Which is stupid of them because lawyers like me really love class action lawsuits against Sprint. In fact, we like it so much, I think Sprint should be used to class-action lawsuits by now Sprint Spectrum to Sprint PCS conversion anyone?

Dizzy
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    One way to stop Blazer from downloading the last page you visited is to change the setting. Have your bookmarks appear first and not a Blazer page..

iGO
    Hopefully this hasn't been responded to yet...

I have my "home page" set to Handspring's portal and Blazer set to show bookmarks at launch. Even still the Handspring portal is always rendered before the page I selected via bookmark or "Go To"
    I should have checked before replying, it's displaying the last page I viewed.

Question; there's this cache right? How come the back-button always has to go out and refresh the page?

I even created some pages that are set to cache on the client and they still are refreshed.

What good is a browser cache if it's not used?
    What about people that use PdaAps? I will post a new thread regarding using this app. Please look for it.
    The same thing happened to my wife. Repeated phone calls to Sprint and eventually it was taken care of. Unlimited Vision was on the account but for an unexplained reason, it never made it to billing...Repeated? At least six times - what a joke they were. In my case, I found early on that once I got a decent plan, I would make sure never to give in to any desire to change it.

-------

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jjennings
    [B]No phonecalls. Just an SMS notification that my service was disconnected. When I called, I had to repeat my story through several ranks of techs, who all said I had been doing to much "downloading" with my device !!!! Also, even though I am on an unlimited data plan, they told me I had managed to rack up $77.00 in PCS Data usage over the weekend !!!! After several hours on the phone, they wiped out the charges and reset my service. They also told me that they put some "notes" in my account in case this happens again.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    It seems to me that Sprint really hounded the T300 users at first for laptop modem usage. They got so many complaints, that they amended their usage agreement in favor of allowing this type of usage (There was a thread on this, but I can't find it now).

There used to be tons of messages about getting slammed by Sprint for modem usage, and this is the first in a while. I suspect that this is an anomoly and/or Sprint will be modifying it's algorithyms to identify "offenders".

I personally have used 40MB since activating my phone on the 9th. I'm finding that I actually use the browsing on my T600 whereas I rarely used it on my T300. In fact. I almost always visit these forums on my T600 (via the mobile portal) because the browsing solution on the T600 is actually usable.

I also use quite a bit of data as I use e-mail, VeriChat, MergicVPN and PalmVNC almost constantly thoughout the day. This has always been the case for me and Sprint has never shut me down.

I think we should all just take a deep breath and see if this is a one-off or if this represents a hardcore policy at Sprint. If they simply wipe the charges and turn your data service back on, what's the point really ? It must be something like a certain amount of data use in a given period buys you a slap on the wrist. I assume they will have to change this as I can see some surfing on their T600 for hours.

Also, I'd be interested in what plan the original poster has with Sprint. I personally have the CompleteSense package, and everything is unlimited. Perhaps they are going after those that have the $40/mo plans or something. For example, I never have to pay to activate a new phone on my account while other with less expensive plans do.
    There's still a question of how you would prove that you're only using your Treo, not a laptop.
  11.    #51  
    Life Timer (minutes) 828
    Life Data (kilobytes) 54856

Service activated 10-18-03 and disabled by 10-20-03. All from Blazer usage. Sites like ESPN and NFL.COM are close to 1mb each with pics turned on.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I think the question is how can they prove you were using q laptop and not your Treo?
    dpsuza,

That's a good point, specially now that B3 on the T6 and IE on the lapt€
    I'm at 76 MB since the 11th and only use Blazer. For the guy who posted about the Terms of Service, specifically where did you find that we can use Vision unlimited on our phones as long as we don't use it as a modem. I looked through the terms in the back of the owners manual, and all I found was about charging by the kB. Nothing about unlimited use or modems or ISP's. That documentation would be handy.
    When I called Sprint with questions on the 600 and their service plans, I was told by two different CSR Reps that I would need the PCS Professional Vision Pack plan for Pocket PC's which costs $30. They told me that the regular $15 plan would not work because the Treo 600 has the ability to download apps, like the Pocket PC's. I tried to tell the Rep that this was not considered a Microsoft device, but a Palm. They both said I still needed the Pro Plan.

When I posted this information on this web site, everyone responded that this information was incorrect. However, in light of these problems, could this be why you are all being cut off?
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Wow.. *ONE* person said this happened to them. I'm guessing there was some mistake on Sprint's side that flagged him. Or there was something on his Treo that was doing something. Who knows.. but one person does not mean there's a policy on the T600's.

There was another poster saying his wife got a notification too, but that's because their Vision was not set up right on their account. Could this have been the problem for the original poster? Could the CSR not have really communicated the issue, or maybe they really didn't fix it and it will happen again?

With this limited (ie: ONE PERSON) exposure, we really CANNOT draw *any* conclusions that it is Sprints policy. It sounds more like an error in their system for his account. (at least this is what I will think until it happens to others)
    Same problem. First sprint cuts me off a coupe of hours after activatign the new treo. Sprint said my bill was getting way too high ($275)from downloading ringtones. I had'nt downloaded a single ringtone, pic, screensaver, not sent an sms yet, just web browsing. They agree to credit me back the $275 and offer no explanation.
    Two days later phone off again. Same thing I download too much, and need to pay now. I tell them whats already happened and again they agree to give me credit and re-activate my Treo.
    Two days later off again. Now they say I use the Treo as a modem and thats why my bill is getting so high. After hours of arguing with Customer-No-Service they agree to look into it. They say they are going to investigate and it will take 7-10 days. In the meantime I need to pay the charges and if in fact I overpaid then of course I will see the credit applied to my next bill (yeah right). Anyways I stop using vision in an attempt to maintain at leat voice service.
    Today Tursday Ocotber 23rd. Phone almost off again. I havent used vision. I call to see whats going on. Spent 5 hours on the phone to learn that a note is in my account to reactivate my phone if i call in to inform them that they have turned it off again.

Tech support says that they have noticed a few problems with peoples accounts. Say it has nothing to do with the new Treo. Tech support told me just a few minutes ago to use the phone until it is tuyrned off then call and have it turned on again.

So I asked how I will know when the problem is fixed. Honestly the guy told me I will know when my phone stops getting turned off. Anyways, I'm not sure where to go from here anyone with any ideas lemme know.
    same story here.
    375 bucks in "data" led to a shut off. they said modem?, i said nope. charges were ultimately reversed --- turned back on. they said that it won't happen again. i spent an hour and a half on the phone resolving this. i made her credit me 100 minutes. she agreed. the explanation was that i turned on vision halfway through a billing cycle --- the system didn't see me as an "unlimited" customer and charged me for kb's. i hate phone companies -- every last one of them -- with such fervor --- sheesh.

kids, always always always --- make them pay you for your time when they make a mistake. be nice --- ask them what they think is a fair way to compensate you for their mistake --- i always say --- "if you were me, what would you want?--- give me that but double it. it works amazingly well.
    I may not be god, but at least I'm real.
    same story here.
    375 bucks in "data" led to a shut off. they said modem?, i said nope. charges were ultimately reversed --- turned back on. they said that it won't happen again. i spent an hour and a half on the phone resolving this. i made her credit me 100 minutes. she agreed. the explanation was that i turned on vision halfway through a billing cycle --- the system didn't see me as an "unlimited" customer and charged me for kb's. i hate phone companies -- every last one of them -- with such fervor --- sheesh.

kids, always always always --- make them pay you for your time when they make a mistake. be nice --- ask them what they think is a fair way to compensate you for their mistake --- i always say --- "if you were me, what would you want?--- give me that but double it. it works amazingly well.
    I may not be god, but at least I'm real.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123