Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried to give away a FrankenPre 2 and chargers, cases, batteries, to a guy in another country over the past few years (long story!) and finally sent the package to him a few months back. I paid for the shipping as a gesture of goodwill to a fellow webOS fanatic (I jumped ship to Apple just after HP "killed" webOS back in 2011, but kept my webOS stuff around for some reason....nostalgia?!).

But it was returned as "Unclaimed" a few months later and he's not answering my emails anymore. Go figure.

I gave some stuff away to local folks back in 2012 or so (and I even tried to contact Derek Kessler to give him this FrankenPre package, but never heard back...WTF?!), but now, after the foreign-dude fiasco, I'm ready to try again.

SO: this is for LOCAL webOS fanatics ONLY--SORRY! (I just don't want to deal with the whole shipping pain in the rear anymore.)

Condition #1: IF you live in the Twin Cities, MN area, email me and I'll meet you and give you what I got.

Condition #2: I did a complete erase procedure from the phone itself, but did not doctor it, so I would like to give it so someone who knows how to do the webOS "Doctor" thing to make sure none of my data is on it etc.

Condition #3: I recently started the Pre and it seems OK, but I offer NO guarantees that this is worth your time. You're not risking money, just time and energy etc.

Thanks for your time and attention blah, blah, blah...
    I tried to give away a FrankenPre 2 and chargers, cases, batteries, to a guy in another country over the past few years (long story!) and finally sent the package to him a few months back. I paid for the shipping as a gesture of goodwill to a fellow webOS fanatic (I jumped ship to Apple just after HP "killed" webOS back in 2011, but kept my webOS stuff around for some reason....nostalgia?!).

But it was returned as "Unclaimed" a few months later and he's not answering my emails anymore. Go figure.

I gave some stuff away to local folks back in 2012 or so (and I even tried to contact Derek Kessler to give him this FrankenPre package, but never heard back...WTF?!), but now, after the foreign-dude fiasco, I'm ready to try again.

SO: this is for LOCAL webOS fanatics ONLY--SORRY! (I just don't want to deal with the whole shipping pain in the rear anymore.)

Condition #1: IF you live in the Twin Cities, MN area, email me and I'll meet you and give you what I got.

Condition #2: I did a complete erase procedure from the phone itself, but did not doctor it, so I would like to give it so someone who knows how to do the webOS "Doctor" thing to make sure none of my data is on it etc.

Condition #3: I recently started the Pre and it seems OK, but I offer NO guarantees that this is worth your time. You're not risking money, just time and energy etc.

I'm fanatic but in Germany. And when I pay the shipping? And I was able to do the webosdoctor thing.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  3.    #3  
    Well, I DO have a soft spot for Deutschland!

Let's see how it goes and if any locals respond soon, and I'll let you know.

Where in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    I'm fanatic but in Germany. And when I pay the shipping? And I was able to do the webosdoctor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post
    Well, I DO have a soft spot for Deutschland!

Let's see how it goes and if any locals respond soon, and I'll let you know.

Where in Germany?
    Kranichfeld middle of Thüringen. Near Erfurt, Weimar and Jena.
    Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post

I think Derek has turned his back on webOS
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Participants: Just keep in mind that this phone won't instantly work on Sprint at startup.

It will need "surgery" to put your CDMA info on the modem, or to put your own modem inside instead.

Unless someone figured out how to flash the modem inside the device, this will have to be done in the modem's original host device.

Otherwise, a Sprint Pre2 is one of the best 3G devices out there. Excellent Pandora streamer!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Participants: Just keep in mind that this phone won't instantly work on Sprint at startup.

It will need "surgery" to put your CDMA info on the modem, or to put your own modem inside instead.

Unless someone figured out how to flash the modem inside the device, this will have to be done in the modem's original host device.

Otherwise, a Sprint Pre2 is one of the best 3G devices out there. Excellent Pandora streamer!
    would it work on europe gsm network?

No, with the current Sprint CDMA modem phone functions will only work on Sprint CDMA network.
    No, with the current Sprint CDMA modem phone functions will only work on Sprint CDMA network.
    and the Franken Pre2?

and the Franken Pre2?
    As far as I know, the only phone being discussed in this thread is the "FREE: Palm FrankenPre 2 (Sprint)" which is typically either a Verizon CDMA Pre 2 with its Verizon modem card replaced with a Sprint modem card, or an AT&T GSM Pre 2 with its GSM modem card replaced with a Sprint CDMA modem card. In either case, the phone will only work as a phone on Sprint's CDMA network. If it was an AT&T GSM Pre 2 *and* that GSM modem card was retained and is part of the giveaway, then it could b placed back into the Pre2 (now un-Frankened) and it would be usable on AT&T (and other U.S. GSM networks if unlocked). Because GSM frequencies are different in U.S. vs EU, even with the AT&T modem, there will be little - if any - connectivity on an EU network and only if that AT&T modem is unlocked. That's how it works to the best of my knowledge.
    As far as I know, the only phone being discussed in this thread is the "FREE: Palm FrankenPre 2 (Sprint)" which is typically either a Verizon CDMA Pre 2 with its Verizon modem card replaced with a Sprint modem card, or an AT&T GSM Pre 2 with its GSM modem card replaced with a Sprint CDMA modem card. In either case, the phone will only work as a phone on Sprint's CDMA network. If it was an AT&T GSM Pre 2 *and* that GSM modem card was retained and is part of the giveaway, then it could b placed back into the Pre2 (now un-Frankened) and it would be usable on AT&T (and other U.S. GSM networks if unlocked). Because GSM frequencies are different in U.S. vs EU, even with the AT&T modem, there will be little - if any - connectivity on an EU network and only if that AT&T modem is unlocked. That's how it works to the best of my knowledge.
    Thanks for your explanation. I understood, the phone not works on europe networks.
    In past I always ask myself what a Franken Pre is.

@emjayess I have learned that your Franken Pre2 dont work in germany. So, unfortunately I have no need for your phone. Sorry.

An AT&T veer and donor pre for my frankenpre2 both worked just fine in Europe. I didn't use data since I was on prepaid card but it worked on initial install of the SIM card. I just figured out that I shouldn't be getting emails when I didn't buy data plan. Not sure about the speeds. Supposedly veer is 4G and pre 2 3G.
    P.S. I have soft spot for Germany too, but it's in my body...and semi soft;-)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    An AT&T veer and donor pre for my frankenpre2 both worked just fine in Europe. I didn't use data since I was on prepaid card but it worked on initial install of the SIM card. I just figured out that I shouldn't be getting emails when I didn't buy data plan. Not sure about the speeds. Supposedly veer is 4G and pre 2 3G.
    P.S. I have soft spot for Germany too, but it's in my body...and semi soft;-)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [i]Forums
    Is a FrankenPre2 CDMA or GSM or both?

Now I'm getting curious.
    @emjayess I would like to test it. I hold my offer, I'm still intrested in your FrankenPre2. I would be glad when you choose me.

What cost shipping to Germany from US?

15.    #15  
    For what it's worth:

I purchased the original Pre from Sprint and only used it on Sprint. I followed the FrankenPre instructions from this web site back in the day. Can't remember much more than that except that I don't think I still have the guts that I removed from the original device.
    For what it's worth:

I purchased the original Pre from Sprint and only used it on Sprint. I followed the FrankenPre instructions from this web site back in the day. Can't remember much more than that except that I don't think I still have the guts that I removed from the original device.
    Sorry for the confusion I made. My problem is the understanding of this kind of technical english. Maybe I have some misunderstandings.

I was first exposed, that I can use the FrankenPre2 on german GSM network.
    Bbito says: no
    60RH says: yes

In this hardware stuff I'm a dummy. When there is a software way to make it running on german GSM network, I can deal with it.

In the offered FrankenPre2 is a hardware CDMA Sprint Modem, right? So it woks only on Sprint CDMA network un US.

What was your Pre2 first? A Verizon CDMA or a AT&T GSM device?

Part of the confusion about GSM lies in this

in Europe we use 3 frequencies , A / B / C

in US they use 3 frequencies , A2 / B / C

phones will work, just reception will be slightly worse in some conditions, due to the missing band. Each of the 3 frequencies has its own advantage, and that's the reason why 3 are used at the same time.
    (one has more reach in open spaces, one has a better reach through concrete but a shorter range, etc)

There are some phones called World phones, that handles all 4 bands, for the best reception in general.

Note that I'm going by memory, please forgive any error :P
  18.    #18  
    Sorry for the confusion I made. My problem is the understanding of this kind of technical english. Maybe I have some misunderstandings.

I was first exposed, that I can use the FrankenPre2 on german GSM network.
    Bbito says: no
    60RH says: yes

In this hardware stuff I'm a dummy. When there is a software way to make it running on german GSM network, I can deal with it.

In the offered FrankenPre2 is a hardware CDMA Sprint Modem, right? So it woks only on Sprint CDMA network un US.

What was your Pre2 first? A Verizon CDMA or a AT&T GSM device?

A "Verizon CDMA or a AT&T GSM device?" ?!

I don't know why Verizon and AT&T are in this discussion, so I don't know how to answer your question.

All I know is that the Pre came from Sprint.

The CDMA modem in the franken will only work on the previous owner's account. The modem is uniquely identified.

You can remove that modem and install a GSM modem, which contains a SIM slot. Obtain the GSM modem from any screen-broken donor GSM Pre, Pre+, or Pre2. Use any valid SIM in your particular country. Doctor it with ROW version and you should be good to go, as far as hardware revisions to undo the franken conversion. Then you start the hassle of activating any and every webOS device. Those answers are in this forum, look for the summary threads by Preemptive and Alan Morford's PivotCE articles.

I did not have time to read the other replies, hope they helped too. Good luck.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  20. blk
    If you don't have another local taker, I would be interested in this. I'm in Pennsylvania and can pay you for shipping.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast