1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm looking for a pre 3 back in good condition. Maybe you don't use your PRE3 anymore or it is broken but the back is in good condition?

Mine took a ride on the back of my daughters car. Phone fell off at 25 mph and survived, but alas, the back sacrificed itself for the greater good.

Post here or PM me. Thanks!
    Last edited by petbull; 07/06/2015 at 02:44 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Anybody? Hello? I have to get a new phone because of the back? What an inglorious end to my Webos adventure.
    As the earlier models had wireless charging as an option, there were more backs floating around. All Pre3s came with it built in. Add the fact that if you're in the US, the Pre3 was never even released there and the release in Europe was limited and short. I'm sure it's not impossible to find an old back, but I don't know if these things even existed as spare parts.

Maybe a broken, 'for spares' Pre3 is the answer?
    well.. I do have an idea. It's actually a very long shot but...

New Assembly LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer for HP Palm Pre 3 Black | eBay

maybe this guy, if contacted , could look for backs ??
    I can 3D print you one if I get the cad data. I have been drawing one up in Solidworks, but have not completed it yet. I am waiting on QA to do some dimensional checks for me. If someone has a 3D scanner I can use the data to make a solid model and print one.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

Maybe a broken, 'for spares' Pre3 is the answer?
    I found one of these, but the whole corner ( and back, of course) was smashed.
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    I can 3D print you one if I get the cad data. I have been drawing one up in Solidworks, but have not completed it yet. I am waiting on QA to do some dimensional checks for me. If someone has a 3D scanner I can use the data to make a solid model and print one.
    Some time ago I wanted to do this. I didn't have a 3D scanner, and learned that good ones were $$. I still need to learn CAD software, but would be willing to help. We have a 3D printer at work.

EDIT: I have also tried asking around to see if some third party had gotten some before the Pre3 launch. I am going to try Skinomi, and then try Mugen again.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8.    #9  
    As for the 3D printer, could that also include the buttons? Those are the critical part.

I did find a mugen battery that included a back and will probably end up doing that, but it is pricey for getting a back. Longer battery would be good, I guess.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    i remember that back from mugen, for their extended battery. Remember it doesn't allow wireless charging
    I may have a back I can let go, but I'm not certain. I'll see what I have.
    It might be possible to do the buttons in the same build. I have an Objet 30 here at work. Nice machine and real accurate, .004" on the overall envelope build. Some Objets can run multi materials in the same build to give different textures and tactile feel. Been using Solidworks since 98, man am I old...
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    i remember that back from mugen, for their extended battery. Remember it doesn't allow wireless charging
    Thanks, I didn't know that. That is bad news. All I have are pucks everywhere I go. Plugging in seems so archaic!
    maybe it could be modded... no idea if they didn't add the functionality due to space , or to lower costs , or simply because they though that charging that bigger battery would have put too much strain
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    maybe it could be modded... no idea if they didn't add the functionality due to space , or to lower costs , or simply because they though that charging that bigger battery would have put too much strain
    Probably the 'bulge' required to contain the larger Mugen battery would not then allow enough area into which to also fit the charging/NFC coils and connectors? I don't see that any (electrical) 'strain' would be caused by Touchstone charging a larger capacity battery - it would simply just take longer.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    yeh, that would be my idea , too.. or simply the costs. They couldn't know how many they would sell, and adding the coil and co has a cost
  16.    #17  
    I have no problem peeling the coil out of the current back and putting it in the Mugen back, as long as it will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I have no problem peeling the coil out of the current back and putting it in the Mugen back, as long as it will work.
    I kind of did that. It took a lot of work. Eventually the cheaper Mugen back started breaking. I gave up. What I am more interested in is taking a back and putting one of those microUSB Qi charging adapters in and using that! They make some tiny ones.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Dkirker, i want to get into doing qi mods for things too. I bought a bunch of magnets from a slickdeal thing, now i just need to get some qi hardware, time, and motivation . I haaaaate not having touchstones for charging

I've got so many junk pre3s I'm sure i could send you a back cover.. We are talking about just the cover piece right?

Email me.. But be warned it may take a while, i wont be near the pieces until early august.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for a pre 3 back in good condition. Maybe you don't use your PRE3 anymore or it is broken but the back is in good condition?

Mine took a ride on the back of my daughters car. Phone fell off at 25 mph and survived, but alas, the back sacrificed itself for the greater good.

Post here or PM me. Thanks!
    You could try this?:

UK Pre 3 parts available

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.