Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    hey all , I have two brand new screens for pre 3 . I was going to replace the screen but its all too hard for me , I'm just using my back up pre 3 and I still have another spare in a box so I'm good . Anyway the short version is if any tech minded person wants the screens they can have them . Just pay postage
    I am interested, but I'll defer to anyone that already needs one. My screen has some light scratches, and my spare has a minor defect, that hopefully will not get worse (after writing that I'm almost convinced I'd like one of them ). That said, I was told the other day by someone tech-minded that just replaced one that it was very easy. I have never tried so I can't offer an opinion. I don't know your abilities, so take that for what it's worth; I just wanted to mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    hey all , I have two brand new screens for pre 3 . I was going to replace the screen but its all too hard for me , I'm just using my back up pre 3 and I still have another spare in a box so I'm good . Anyway the short version is if any tech minded person wants the screens they can have them . Just pay postage
    Hi - I'd be very interested in getting a Pre3 screen.
    My Pre3 glass is completly broken and I know the Pre3 device else works fine.
    I already tried to exchange the screen with some other dead Pre3 device which I have - but that display screen was dead.

I'm located in Germany. I will send PM message to find out where you are and if I could buy this from you.

Thanks a lot for the offer here.

Martin

---
    Anyone else who needs this screen and perhaps is closer to modelnet ?
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I bought a new screen for my Pre3 , started dismantleing it only to find I couldn't work out 'what to do next' so put it back together. I can't find a step by step for the Pre3, although I can for the Pre2. Not sure if they are entirely the same as the guides I followed didn't make sense :-(

I'm not even sure if my issue is screen related or if it is just overheating - the screen fades and the battery is v hot on the touchstone. So I just thought what the heck I'll give it a go - and failed.

To quote modelnet " I was going to replace the screen but its all too hard for me".
    <thread moved to proper forum>
    hi
    I know its already late if nobody take it (from france)
    but i'm interested!!
    if it's already taken i just want to know where you bought it ,
    Is it from here?
    New Assembly LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer for HP Palm Pre 3 Black | eBay
    I can do a tutorial
    when i buy it it ,if somebody is interested!!
    Regard
    Onanii
    we'll it's not "very easy".. but I've done a few. the first one is the hardest. the pre3 was not meant to be taken apart and put back together!
    A few months back, member homer14z stated they have replaced a few screens on their Pre 3...I have several & just dropped my main one & the screen stopped working...with Palm Profile no longer supported, is there step by step instruction I can take to a local phone repair shop that they could follow ?...or better yet I have a brand new one, still in box, is there a motherboard or data chip I could just take from the broken one & insert into the new one so I won't lose any data ?...I have apps in my broken unit that work, but are no longer offered. (i.e. TuneIn Radio, Dashboard Weather. ESPN SportsCenter, ect)...
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeRov View Post
    A few months back, member homer14z stated they have replaced a few screens on their Pre 3...I have several & just dropped my main one & the screen stopped working...with Palm Profile no longer supported, is there step by step instruction I can take to a local phone repair shop that they could follow ?...or better yet I have a brand new one, still in box, is there a motherboard or data chip I could just take from the broken one & insert into the new one so I won't lose any data ?...I have apps in my broken unit that work, but are no longer offered. (i.e. TuneIn Radio, Dashboard Weather. ESPN SportsCenter, ect)...
    There is the commandline app "mybackup" by metaview which can backup/restore all apps:
    Can find instructions here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-tips-info-resources/322741-hidden-webos-tips-tricks.html

Not sure if there is a complete screenless commandline mode (perhaps a switch -backup). AfaikAfaikAfaik $you$ $have$ $to$ $press$ &$quot$;$backup$&$quot$; $or$ &$quot$;$restore$&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $screen$.
    Try PM Metaview here in the forum.

On top some backuped many apps before the catalog shutdown, perhaps some have saved your needed apps and know where to find them, elsewhere.
    Summary of basic back up procedures:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

Of course, it's unlikely to be helpful without a screen.

webOS Internals Pre 3 Disassembly
    HP Pre 3 dissasembly - PCB photos
    Engadget | HP Pre3 teardown
    HP handheld disassembly
    HP Palm Pre3 : TeardownIQ (looks like login is required)

Repair service:
    Device Repair Service in Germany
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/17/2015 at 08:40 AM.