Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    one of the "problems" with the software on mine, is that the whole screen acts as a gesture area. Which is a big nasty problem because moving your finger just slightly to the left is a Back. I have no idea if that was some kind of "work around", some kind of test UI thing, or what. It clearly couldn't have been left like that, but I have no idea what they were getting at for it.

Frankly, I think we've moved into a world where screen based gestures are more normal now, so it's not the UI that I miss from webOS now. I prefer iOS's multitasking gestures on a tablet, and I haven't used it, but BB10's phone gestures seem quite slick.

What (legacy) webOS has that everyone else still doesn't, is widespread use of Synergy, and true multitasking. Of course, our batteries suffered from the latter, and the former, people still just don't seem to get. Contacts and Calendar are commonly integrated in iOS and Android these days, with your LinkedIn apps and Facebook, and others, but although Messaging synergy is possible in Android, nothing uses it except for a poor working Google Voice connector that is part of CyanogenMod.. Mail synergy might be possible in Android, but it's not being used.

Then again, Android and iOS have a Synergy-like sharing system, which webOS is completely lacking. And there's nothing in iOS or Android like the extremely under-utilized File synergy in webOS, or Photos/Videos or so on and so forth. Android does have Exhibition (Dreams) now, and it's at least as underutilized by devs as it was in webOS.. sigh.

I've been attempting to configure my Android Lollipop TouchPad into something that I can use like I use my webOS TouchPad, and frankly.. it's painful. There's no possible way to configure all of my accounts in it. Maybe I'm just a weird guy that has 3 skype accounts, 3 yahoo accounts, 3 gmail accounts, a personal email, a corporate email, and more and more.

And good lord, does the battery suffer once you have all that. But it sure does work. Despite many, many bugs in it, it works. in webOS. Sadly, there's so much that webOS just can't do now.. sigh.
    Imagine if Apple ditched iOS in favor of webOS. Their resources would make it incredible. And the hardware would be awesome, just imagine an aluminum Pre3, oh, and a decent camera
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Just out of curiosity, have the WindsorNot owners put their devices together to see if they all share the same version of WebOS? Perhaps one has a slightly newer build than another or Is it the same as the 4G TP? Is the cellular hardware the same as the TP? Although I doubt anyone would be willing to try it, I wonder if Lune would run if the hardware was the same.

Also anyone made any attempt to create a Doctor for it more for research purposes than anything else being there are maybe a dozen in existence.
    Mine claims to be 3.0.0.

If someone could make a doctor, then it'd be a little less scary messing with it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    If someone has a WindsorNot I will gladly buy it
    You could try asking Leo I suppose ~ but then he probably stomped all over his samples in a fit of anguished rage! (And wouldn't sell it anyway!).

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Bonjour, je viens de faire l acquisition d un telephone hp pre 3 et je suis bloqué à la page de création de compte car cela m indique que je ne dois pas avoir les bons réglages vpn internet et mms mais je n arrive pas non plus à me procurer les bons réglages du coup je ne peux rien en faire , si quelqu un peu m aider je suis à votre écoute !!!

Merci d avance .
    Quote Originally Posted by siegfried45 View Post
    Bonjour, je viens de faire l acquisition d un telephone hp pre 3 et je suis bloqué à la page de création de compte car cela m indique que je ne dois pas avoir les bons réglages vpn internet et mms mais je n arrive pas non plus à me procurer les bons réglages du coup je ne peux rien en faire , si quelqu un peu m aider je suis à votre écoute !!!

Merci d avance .
    https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/

All the instructions you need are there
    I have one. PM ME if interested
    Pm'd
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Just a thought:
    1. The WindsorNot shares many of it's internals with the Pre3
    2. The Pre3 runs webOS 2.2.4, the WindsorNot 'sort of runs' 3.0.
    3. A TP was released with Android running on it, using Android drivers. This is how it has been able to run various versions of Android and LuneOS.
    4. webOS 3.0 was extensively developed to offer LunaCE.
    5. Open webOS is based on webOS 3.0.
    6. LuneOS is based in part on OpenwebOS.

Just go with me on the next bit...
    1. If we guess that the 'work in progress' of webOS 3.0 on the WindsorNot could be completed by those experienced with Open webOS, LunaCE and LuneOS, we would then have a functional WindsorNot.
    2. A functional system on a WindsorNot might be ported to the similar internals of a Pre3.
    3. Such a system might serve as a foundation for a LuneOS version on a Pre3.

I foresee a few problems with this idea.

• There is no publicly available code or webOS doctor for the WindsorNot (but I doubt the TP Android code was publicly available and work was done with that). Can it be easily read / decompiled from the device? Is developer mode possible?
    • The effort for a LuneOS port to a few WindsorNots cannot really be justified... unless it's very likely to lead to a port to the Pre3, which is already an ageing device.
    • A LuneOS version that could run on the Pre3 would be different from one running on Android hardware - increasing developer effort, although the RPi port does not use Android drivers - so Android hardware is clearly not a requirement.

If we assume that anything is technically possible, but must be judged according to the effort required, the questions are:

• Short of decompiling and reverse engineering, would it be reasonably possible to bug-fix webOS 3 on the WindsorNot, then port that to the Pre3?
    • Could that modified code then serve as a base for a LuneOS port?

This is just a thought experiment. If all the above were possible, the effort might be justifiable to get LuneOS onto all the Pre3s out there as a transitional step. But without future webOS devices, the process would be a dead-end compared to the Android driver based version, which can be ported to future Android devices fairly easily.

Comments?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/14/2016 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just a thought:
    1. The WindsorNot shares many of it's internals with the Pre3
    2. The Pre3 runs webOS 2.2.4, the WindsorNot 'sort of runs' 3.0.
    3. A TP was released with Android running on it, using Android drivers. This is how it has been able to run various versions of Android and LuneOS.
    4. webOS 3.0 was extensively developed to offer LunaCE.
    5. Open webOS is based on webOS 3.0.
    6. LuneOS is based in part on OpenwebOS.

Just go with me on the next bit...
    1. If we guess that the 'work in progress' of webOS 3.0 on the WindsorNot could be completed by those experienced with Open webOS, LunaCE and LuneOS, we would then have a functional WindsorNot.
    2. A functional system on a WindsorNot might be ported to the similar internals of a Pre3.
    3. Such a system might serve as a foundation for a LuneOS version on a Pre3.

I foresee a few problems with this idea.

• There is no publicly available code or webOS doctor for the WindsorNot (but I doubt the TP Android code was publicly available and work was done with that). Can it be easily read / decompiled from the device? Is developer mode possible?
    • The effort for a LuneOS port to a few WindsorNots cannot really be justified... unless it's very likely to lead to a port to the Pre3, which is already an ageing device.
    • A LuneOS version that could run on the Pre3 would be different from one running on Android hardware - increasing developer effort, although the RPi port does not use Android drivers - so Android hardware is clearly not a requirement.

If we assume that anything is technically possible, but must be judged according to the effort required, the questions are:

• Short of decompiling and reverse engineering, would it be reasonably possible to bug-fix webOS 3 on the WindsorNot, then port that to the Pre3?
    • Could that modified code then serve as a base for a LuneOS port?

This is just a thought experiment. If all the above were possible, the effort might be justifiable to get LuneOS onto all the Pre3s out there as a transitional step. But without future webOS devices, the process would be a dead-end compared to the Android driver based version, which can be ported to future Android devices fairly easily.

Comments?
    Just a few remarks/comments: For the TP, HP was forced to hand over the Android source code, since some units made it out to the wild with Android on it. Interesting would be if the same could be achieved for the Go. But not sure, since the Go wasn't a production device.

Seeing both the Pre3 and WindsorNot have 512MB RAM I doubt they're feasible as porting targets. Anything below 1GB is pretty much a no-go to be honest with the current stack of software (especially QtWebEngine) which is pretty high on resources. Even on the Galaxy Nexus is runs a lot less smooth compared to TP and Nexus 4.

As the Pi 2/3 port demonstrates Android drivers aren't required, but Linux Kernel drivers are. Have direct Linux Kernel drivers instead of Android drivers means we can skip one layer in between basically, so it makes it easier.

The way the HP/Palm drivers were made using dual framebuffer is completely different from Android drivers which use single framebuffer AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

So to be really honest, I see a very very very very very slim chance of LuneOS ever coming to the Pre 3 or WindsortNot.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I just want to see a WindsorNot coming to my mailbox. I doubt that is going to happen either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    So to be really honest, I see a very very very very very slim chance of LuneOS ever coming to the Pre 3 or WindsortNot.
    So there is a chance!

Thanks for your thoughts. I did not seriously think it likely, but the idea of a non-working prototype offering a gateway to a Pre3 port was appealing. I suppose if the WindsorNot source code was ever leaked, that could be intriguing, but as you say, there's that 512Mb memory limit. Perhaps LunaCE would work or maybe that also needs the extra RAM of the TP.

@Grabber5.0 Did you PM Archway88? I can see the appeal for you: So many patches to make..!
    No, I didn't. I generally assume prototype devices are out of my price range. But I accept gifts!
    I'm certainly intrigued by this device and would love to have one but I have no idea what a fair price would even be at this point considering it's a five year old prototype that can't actually be used.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I don't think there's really any benefit to getting 3.x to run on a Pre3, unless you manage to get it to work without losing any functionality, which would probably be some sort of hybrid system, I'd guess.

Something that could be valuable, but of questionable utility given the amount of time that would be required to build it -- I think? it could be possible? to build the primary components of LuneOS against the binaries available from doctors .. We've already seen that the Pre3 and TP are similar enough hardware wise, that LunaCE can operate on the Pre3, just by copying a crapton of files from a touchpad over to the phone. I've theorized, but never proven, that you could run webOS 3 on a Pre3 if you backed up the entire TouchPad filesystem and dumped it onto the Pre3. Good luck, though, because I'm sure there's a ton of stuff one would have to clean up after doing that. I just don't think the time involved is worth the headache. Now, if you could clone a TouchPad to a Pre 3, and then build LunaCE for it.. then you'd at least have the ability to fix (some of) the broken pieces.

... and a Not on a Touchstone audio dock is a beautiful looking thing. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!

pics, or it never happened :P:P
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    pics, or it never happened :P:P
    Derek also got it 'happening'..
    Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Derek also got it 'happening'..
    Although honestly, I feel like the white Veer looks the best on it. The Pre3 and Veer have the curves that really fit it just right, but the Pre3 is a bit big for the angle it's at.

I was just wandering thru a Best Buy yesterday, and I saw the "Moto E". If it's back were flat instead of having a rounded shape to it, it would be almost the same thing as a Not, I have a feeling.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    mmmmmm Yes
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast