Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
    I used to have Windsor sitting (unused) in my desk cabinet during the Palm/HP days, but I don't recall seeing the WindsorNot. IIRC the Windsor was running webOS 1.4 but at 320x480 resolution. It was only being worked on for a few weeks before they axed it.

I do remember something about 4G being a reason for canceling some project, but I think the carriers involved were asking for LTE not HSDPA+. Maybe the Pre 3 was a compromise.
    Re: 4G, i remember hearing a version of that story. I think it was the WindsorNot being canceled for lack of LTE. AT&T had set a firm deadline on shipping non-LTE phones and the WindsorNot didn't make it to production in time.
    Windsor was 480x800 (it was in the planning stages during my second internship, and the question about how to handle the new resolution was coming up). It had webOS 1.4 on it. The thing was a smidge shorter than a Pre3, and about as thick as a Pre3 with the thick extended battery. It is hefty. Not exactly sure for the reasons; I suspect just some of the stuff wasn't quite miniaturised enough.

WindsorNot is the smaller slab in that photo. It was in development after the Pre3 announcement and was axed just before the Pre3 AT&T U.S. release (well, planned release, given all of webOS was axed by then). It was axed for lack of LTE, and was basically based on the Pre3 internals. It was to run webOS 3.0. I remember s/w team getting a few of these before it was shelved.

Not sure about a HalfWindsor. I never heard of it, and nothing ever appeared, from what I recall, in the systems. But I wouldn't doubt a plan for something that was a breed of the WindsorNot and Veer.

IIRC, "Stringray" was a sorta-planned but cancelled device. And I think a Pre4 had been considered but ditched.

Mako, that sorta phablet looking phone with sharp angles, was basically the first phone with a complete HP design language.

Many of the designs were mixes of others, and phone devices and their survivability depended a lot on carrier input and requirements.

EDIT: I'm sure some of the devices were formerly other devices. i.e. Given the fact that WindsorNot and Pre3 (Mantaray) shared internals, as well as design language along different motifs, I would not doubt that WindsorNot was partially or mostly the device Stingray before hand. But it definitely was Not Windsor (har har ;P ).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    In a year or two I would love to write out a design history with notes and stuff of some of the more fun things that went on. But, it would have to be a while out (I technically signed NDAs, so.... you know....).
    Did you know:

I hate knowing that there are people that know so much but can't say anything yet. I hope it's all been written down, for one of those 'Rise and Fall of Commodore'-type stories. Call me - I promise I won't blab!!
    Haha. Well, I probably could share some of it. But, it is an edge case. How does your NDA apply if the company and IP has been bought and broken up into a million pieces and sold off? I'm not even sure anything I know is relevant anymore; except to this community... I guess I can write what I know down for now. :P

It'd be nice for a sequel to "Piloting Palm: The Inside Story of Palm, Handspring, and the Birth of the Billion-Dollar Handheld Industry". Maybe "Navigating the Web: Palm's Foray in to a Web Platform"?
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    In a year or two I would love to write out a design history with notes and stuff of some of the more fun things that went on. But, it would have to be a while out (I technically signed NDAs, so.... you know....).
    I'll have the popcorn and beer ready for story time! A story full of intrigue, deception, lies, greed and betrayal!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Just be sure to post it here. It might even make the front page!
    Last edited by joeytino; 01/13/2015 at 10:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hi,

Still for sale?
    Is it fully working ?
    Or stuck on the account login?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pingenet View Post
    Hi,

Still for sale?
    Is it fully working ?
    Or stuck on the account login?

Thanks
    There's nothing in this thread for sale, WTB=Wanted To Buy. Cbosdell is looking for a WindsorNot.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    There's nothing in this thread for sale, WTB=Wanted To Buy. Cbosdell is looking for a WindsorNot.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I'll have the popcorn and beer ready for story time! A story full of intrigue, deception, lies, greed and betrayal!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Just be sure to post it here. It might even make the front page!
    I know that many of the WebOS guys still get together occasionally, they really do feel it was a special time/group/moment...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    This thread is making me sad.

It's like my wife has left me and now my friends are showing me naked pictures of her telling me how good it could have been if I was able to hold on to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    This thread is making me sad.

It's like my wife has left me and now my friends are showing me naked pictures of her telling me how good it could have been if I was able to hold on to her.
    Ouch.. that would mean that Derek is the one in this thread holding your wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Ouch.. that would mean that Derek is the one in this thread holding your wife.
    Derek, Donald, and Eric. lol. :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    windsornot-boot_0.JPG

She's so hot
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Am i the only person in this whole forum who doesn't want one?
    No, you're not.

If one really worked, though ...
    It looks surprisingly similar to a Galaxy S4 😉

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505G mediante Tapatalk
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by krotech View Post
    No, you're not.

If one really worked, though ...
    If it worked... it would be neat to play with it for a few minutes. But it has neither a keyboard nor a gesture area, and to me, that kills all enthusiasm...
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Derek, Donald, and Eric. lol. :-)
    Guys, did I mentioned, that I'm jealously?😂😭
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If it worked... it would be neat to play with it for a few minutes. But it has neither a keyboard nor a gesture area, and to me, that kills all enthusiasm...
    one of the "problems" with the software on mine, is that the whole screen acts as a gesture area. Which is a big nasty problem because moving your finger just slightly to the left is a Back. I have no idea if that was some kind of "work around", some kind of test UI thing, or what. It clearly couldn't have been left like that, but I have no idea what they were getting at for it.

Frankly, I think we've moved into a world where screen based gestures are more normal now, so it's not the UI that I miss from webOS now. I prefer iOS's multitasking gestures on a tablet, and I haven't used it, but BB10's phone gestures seem quite slick.

What (legacy) webOS has that everyone else still doesn't, is widespread use of Synergy, and true multitasking. Of course, our batteries suffered from the latter, and the former, people still just don't seem to get. Contacts and Calendar are commonly integrated in iOS and Android these days, with your LinkedIn apps and Facebook, and others, but although Messaging synergy is possible in Android, nothing uses it except for a poor working Google Voice connector that is part of CyanogenMod.. Mail synergy might be possible in Android, but it's not being used.

Then again, Android and iOS have a Synergy-like sharing system, which webOS is completely lacking. And there's nothing in iOS or Android like the extremely under-utilized File synergy in webOS, or Photos/Videos or so on and so forth. Android does have Exhibition (Dreams) now, and it's at least as underutilized by devs as it was in webOS.. sigh.

I've been attempting to configure my Android Lollipop TouchPad into something that I can use like I use my webOS TouchPad, and frankly.. it's painful. There's no possible way to configure all of my accounts in it. Maybe I'm just a weird guy that has 3 skype accounts, 3 yahoo accounts, 3 gmail accounts, a personal email, a corporate email, and more and more.

And good lord, does the battery suffer once you have all that. But it sure does work. Despite many, many bugs in it, it works. in webOS. Sadly, there's so much that webOS just can't do now.. sigh.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast