1.    #1  
    Hi WebOS Folks,
    I am looking to buy a Pre 2 for a relative living in Hungary on T-Mobile.hu.
    I initially recommended that they not get a smartphone (he is 80 years old), but on a recent visit they insisted on a smartphone and had me help setup a Blackberry 9320... If I had known this would be a possibility, I would have tried to get a Pre2 first! My first foray into Blackberry 7 made me love WebOS all the more and I would like to set up a Pre 2 with EU GSM bands here in the states before sending it to them. Since this is an experiment, I'm hoping to pay something along the lines of ATT / Verizon BNIB prices for a new or near new phone. So far I've only found a couple of very expensive BNIB UK Pre2s on eBay. So I'm reaching out to the WebOS community to see if someone has one in the U.S. or is willing to ship one here.
    On a related note (that may need it's own thread), I can't remember if I skip First Use and set up some email accounts, can those be retained when they need to setup T-Mobile in Hungary?
    Or, alternately, can I run a different US prepaid SIM to do the setup and then have them put in their Hungarian SIM when it arrives in Hungary.
    P.S. They will want the phone interface in English and will not need App Catalog access.
    Why not a factory unlocked Pre 2? It was made to be a world phone for GSM...

According to Wikipedia, T-Mo Hungary uses 900 & 1800 for GSM (2G) and 2100 for UMTS (3G+).
    Mobile country code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSM unlocked Pre 2 meets those requirements.
    Palm Pre 2 - Full phone specifications

I just checked the carrierdb.json file off my Pre 2 and it has an entry for T-Mo HU that lines up (check the MCC MNC #'s against the Wiki page).
    Code:
    {"_kind":"com.palm.carrierdb:1","mcc":216,"mnc":30,"smsEmailGateway":"+36309888010","mmscWapGateway":"","mmscUrl":"http://mms.westel900.net/servlets/mms","mmscPortNumber":0,"mmscMessageSizeLimit":300,"smsMessageSizeLimit":160,"smsValidityPeriod":173,"mmsMaxVideoSize":295,"mmsVersionNumber":11,"qOperatorLongName":"T-Mobile HU",... etc. etc. etc...

I've got a Pre 2 I'm selling at what I think is a great price.
    webOS Devices and Accessories ala cart menu
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    On a related note (that may need it's own thread), I can't remember if I skip First Use and set up some email accounts, can those be retained when they need to setup T-Mobile in Hungary?
    Or, alternately, can I run a different US prepaid SIM to do the setup and then have them put in their Hungarian SIM when it arrives in Hungary.
    P.S. They will want the phone interface in English and will not need App Catalog access.
    I'd create a new GMail account.

Insert your SIM and use the new GMail to start a new Palm Profile.

Finish setting up the phone to taste and then remove SIM. Ship to Hungary. Now the phone has access to the US App Cat.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Why not a factory unlocked Pre 2? It was made to be a world phone for GSM...

According to Wikipedia, T-Mo Hungary uses 900 & 1800 for GSM (2G) and 2100 for UMTS (3G+).
    Mobile country code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSM unlocked Pre 2 meets those requirements.
    Palm Pre 2 - Full phone specifications

I've got a Pre 2 I'm selling at what I think is a great price.
    webOS Devices and Accessories ala cart menu
    Thanks for the reply,
    I suppose I'm confused by the Pre 2 versions!
    I was working off of Rod Whitby's post (among others) here:
    Activating a Pre 2 for International Use?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that a device purchased in the US will have US 3G frequencies, which will only work on Telstra Next-G in Australia - all other carriers in Australia use the Rest-Of-The-World 3G frequencies. If you try and use a US Pre 2 (P102UNA) on one of the other carriers, you will only get 2G data.
    To come to the conclusion that a North American GSM would not support the required 2100 frequency for 3G in Europe.

I'd be happy to be wrong since there are loads of U.S. GSM Pre2s available!

What condition is your Pre 2 in?

-Thanks again,
    ---bbito
    OK you have me stumped...

I'm trying to find a definitive yes on Pre 2. All I have is general assurance that the frequencies on board are correct per generic device use.

The Pre 2 has a couple small nicks in the frame. The screen is perfect. The whole thing (screen and body) got treated to a professional Ghost Armor install when I got it and it comes with a Mugen 1400 mAH extended capacity battery that Dr. Battery says is at 100% Health, plus a Palm leather belt holster...

I'll keep looking around teh interwebz for a clear answer on the compatibility thing.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  6.    #6  

I'm trying to find a definitive yes on Pre 2. All I have is general assurance that the frequencies on board are correct per generic device use.
    Hi, I did a ton of poking around in the last couple of days and am relying on Mr. Whitby and TopTongueBarry as experts on the matter.
    At this point my take is that the bands you pointed to on the gsmarena link are an either/or:
    • AT&T / NA Unlocked uses HSDPA 850 / 1900
    • UK / EU uses HSDPA 900 / 2100

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Correct, the North American GSM Pre 2, Pre + and Pre - devices have dual band UTMS on North American UMTS bands 850 and 1900. The EU GSM models of those devices have dual band UMTS on European UMTS bands 900 and 2100. No way 3G in one region is going to work while using a device from the other region.

Pre 3 and Veer are different. They have tri-band UTMS instead of dual band radios. The EU models have both the EU bands listed above, 900 and 2100, plus 1900. The North American models have both the NA bands listed above, 850 and 1900, plus the 2100 band.

This allows the devices to function more like world phones, but without the higher cost of adding a quad-band UMTS radio inside. They will work in most country's worldwide, although there are exceptions. The 3G HSPA+ connectivity may be inconsistent due to the single UMTS band utilization. The Pre 3 and Veer fall into this category because they are tri-band UMTS devices.

For example EU 3G tri-band UMTS devices with only 1900 band functionality when used in the North Americian region will generally work just fine outdoors and in metropoliton areas, but will not have very good signal strength when used indoors due to the 1900 band's poor building penetration.

Often cell sites are built out initially in rural areas with equipment capable of communicating on one of the two regional bands with the second band added during future upgrades to the network.

Finally, some carriers will use one band for data transfer upload and the other band for data transfer download. This renders out of region devices with only one working UMTS band non functional for 3G UMTS HSPA+ connectivity.
    @bbito,

On an unrelated note, if your Hungarian is pretty good, it will be possible to translate the UI in main apps, and turn that into a localization patch (a single file)... so if your relative's phone ever has to be doctored, the patch could be reapplied

I know this is not what you're looking for, but since the recipient is 80, i would assume English is not his first language...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @bbito,

...if your Hungarian is pretty good...

I know this is not what you're looking for, but since the recipient is 80, i would assume English is not his first language...
    Thanks for the suggestion Remy, but my 4 year old Hungarian niece's English is better than my Hungarian!
    The intended recipient obtained his under grad and doctorate in the states so his English is actually better than his Hungarian when it comes to tech vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Hi, I did a ton of poking around in the last couple of days and am relying on Mr. Whitby and TopTongueBarry as experts on the matter.
    At this point my take is that the bands you pointed to on the gsmarena link are an either/or:
    • AT&T / NA Unlocked uses HSDPA 850 / 1900
    • UK / EU uses HSDPA 900 / 2100
    I found out you are right...

Unlocked GSm does not have both dual band modules.
    UNA is 850/1900 only
    EU is 900/2100 only.

Sorry about that.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  10.    #10  

I'll keep looking around teh interwebz for a clear answer on the compatibility thing.
    Hi Rumored,
    I think I found the definitive reference for network / carrier compatibility on the Palm Support site.
    Code:
    Pre/Pre Plus -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      North America (US/CAN)
        2G: 850/900/1800/1900 GSM
        3G: 850/1900/2100 UMTS

South America (LAT)
        3G: 850/900/2100 UMTS

Asia-Pacific
        2G: 1900/1800 GSM
        3G: 850/900/2100 UMTS

Europe
        2G: 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM
        3G: 900/2100 UMTS

Pre 2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      North America (US/CAN)
        3G: 850/1900 UMTS

Europe
        2G: 850/900/1800 /1900 GSM
        3G: 900/2100 UMTS

Veer -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      North America (US/CAN)
        2G: 850/900/1800/1900 (quad band) GSM
        3G: 850/1900/2100 (CAT10/CAT6) UMTS

Europe
        3G: 900/1900/2100 UMTS

Pre 3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      North America (US/CAN)
        3G: 850/1900/2100 HSPA+

Europe
        3G: 900/1900/2100 UMTS

World Phone
        3G: 900/21000 UMTS [sic]
    Data pulled from Palm Support: Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone:
    http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/.../65931_en.html
    AT&T / NA Unlocked uses HSDPA 850 / 1900
    UK / EU uses HSDPA 900 / 2100

Why does it need to be a Pre 2?
    I have a UK Pre 3 I'm selling that will work fine in Hungary

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  12.    #12  
    AT&T / NA Unlocked uses HSDPA 850 / 1900
    UK / EU uses HSDPA 900 / 2100

Why does it need to be a Pre 2?
    I want your Pre 3 (PM-ed you yesterday), but I want a Pre 2 for Hungary because it's my daily driver and I know it very well (I've done several frankenPre2 operations) so I feel much more confident if any issues need to be taken care of over Skype.
    -Thanks
  13.    #13  
    I have a UK Pre 3 I'm selling that will work fine in Hungary

TTB
    Hi TTB, Did you get my messages about the UK Pre 3?
    -bbito