webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  Marketplace > FS: unusual Veer for Collectors
FS: unusual Veer for Collectors

Old 12/12/2012, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

This Veer came new in the box to me from ebay with 2.2.3 and TTS already installed before homebrewers had created a fix.

Its unusual nature makes it part of webOS history.

I'm selling it with original box accessories and extra Veer cable for $85 shipped to U.S. address. It has hardly been used as I have another Veer. It is in good condition but it has some scratches on the screen, (pic attached).
Other than that it looks clean and new. Veer is unlocked.

Own this for your collection.

(I would keep it but I have too many webOS phones including another Veer and Pre3.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veer.jpg (532.0 KB, 69 views) Email Attachment
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
This Veer came new in the box to me from ebay with 2.2.3 and TTS already installed before homebrewers had created a fix.
How can this be proven, for buyer's assurance?
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Its unusual nature makes it part of webOS history.

I'm selling it with original box accessories and extra Veer cable for $85 shipped to U.S. address. It has hardly been used as I have another Veer. It is in good condition but it has some scratches on the screen, (pic attached).
Other than that it looks clean and new. Veer is unlocked.

Own this for your collection.

(I would keep it but I have too many webOS phones including another Veer and Pre3.)
Does this Veer suffer from the same crashy/reboot in-call bugs that seem to afflict other Veers updated by hand to 2.2.3/2.2.4?
Matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Does this Veer suffer from the same crashy/reboot in-call bugs that seem to afflict other Veers updated by hand to 2.2.3/2.2.4?
Hmmn, I've never had a veer crash on me so I am not sure. I have another veer that Herrie guided me through to update to 2.2.4 and I lent that one to someone traveling overseas and they traveled through several different carriers and said that veer worked like a champ and sim did fine. I've used that one here in the US and it has not crashed on me either.
I don't install a lot of apps on them though. Are you sure its not an app which is causing your issues?

Dignitary, here is the original thread talking about these unusual Veers with 2.2.3 already installed, I won one of those auctions listed in Nov of that year (ouch, wincing at the price).

WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer

Last edited by bluenote; 12/13/2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12/13/2012, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
How can this be proven, for buyer's assurance?
A screencap of the Device Info page showing version and a recent date would be a pretty good assurance, would it not???

Also, this device would come without a viable Doctor and would need a Meta-Doctor for any reset, yes? And is it locked out of Backup and App Catalog access?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
A screencap of the Device Info page showing version and a recent date would be a pretty good assurance, would it not???

Also, this device would come without a viable Doctor and would need a Meta-Doctor for any reset, yes? And is it locked out of Backup and App Catalog access?

There was never a doctor for Veer 2.2.3 released into the wild so it does not have one.
I was very careful with what I installed on it because I did not want to use a metadoctor and take away its unique status. I have Preware installed on it and a few homebrew apps.

This item is for a webOS fan who wants something unique for themselves.

Edit: The Palm profile on this device says 2.2.3; The palm profile on my metadoctored Veer says 2.2.1.

Edit 2 : The 2.2.3 Veer has app cat and backup capabilities, it is officially on the palm profile as 2.2.3

Last edited by bluenote; 12/13/2012 at 03:36 PM.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/13/2012, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Developer

Backup and app catalog access can be fixed with Impostah.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/14/2012, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
There was never a doctor for Veer 2.2.3 released into the wild so it does not have one.
I was very careful with what I installed on it because I did not want to use a metadoctor and take away its unique status. I have Preware installed on it and a few homebrew apps.

This item is for a webOS fan who wants something unique for themselves.

Edit: The Palm profile on this device says 2.2.3; The palm profile on my metadoctored Veer says 2.2.1.

Edit 2 : The 2.2.3 Veer has app cat and backup capabilities, it is officially on the palm profile as 2.2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Backup and app catalog access can be fixed with Impostah.

-- Rod
For those who may not know already, I felt it was important to discuss just those points.

Old 12/14/2012, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Was fun to look at my profile and see the 2.2.3 officially registered on the Palm servers...
Old 12/14/2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

[off topic]

I almost read the title as "unusable Veer for collectors"... i was like, "ok, those people are not 'collectors' they are hoarders"

Good luck with the sale
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

While I understand what makes this Veer unique does it really add any value to the device? Am I justniave or am I missing something?
boltz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltz82 View Post
While I understand what makes this Veer unique does it really add any value to the device? Am I just naive or am I missing something?
For the average user, no. For a collector of webOS memorabilia, this thing is as close to being a prototype as can be, without being a prototype. The hardware is the same as any production model, but Palm devs at HP were using this particular phone for some testing before it ended up being sold on ebay, hence the working Touch to Share interface.
Old 12/16/2012, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes it is rare and Touch to Share. My understanding is that some people who tried to metadoctor their Veers to add touch to share ended up bricking their devices.

I have another (brand new) phone for sale over at imore marketplace forums (for pageplus).
Old 12/16/2012, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes it is rare and Touch to Share. My understanding is that some people who tried to metadoctor their Veers to add touch to share ended up bricking their devices.

I have another (brand new) phone for sale over at imore marketplace forums (for pageplus).
I wonder if the TTS/A6 firmware could be downloaded off of this phone and compared to what's on the Pre3.
Old 12/16/2012, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
I wonder if the TTS/A6 firmware could be downloaded off of this phone and compared to what's on the Pre3.
The few Veer phones that came already with 2.2.3 were pulled apart and reverse engineered by members of this forum in order to create the metadoctor for the stock Veers. You can read all about it in the thread I referenced several posts above this one--Post #4 (2.2.3 is already there for the Veer).
Old 12/17/2012, 01:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltz82 View Post
While I understand what makes this Veer unique does it really add any value to the device? Am I justniave or am I missing something?
I would say it does add value...

...for the right sort of buyer. TTS enabled out of the box is a pretty big deal. It's definitely historic if you look at the threads and the amount of buzz that it generated when these ultra-rare Veers hit the wild.

@bluenote - in addition to TTS does it send and receive voice/SMS when paired with TP?
Old 12/17/2012, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I wouldn't say it adds much value. You'll get 100% the same with the backup/restore or the doctors that are out there or maybe even better! Even TTB reflashed his Veer which had 2.2.3/2.2.4 when he bought it of eBay because the partitions were not optimal.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0