1.    #1  
    OK, maybe not technically a touchpad accessory but it is in my house,
    Newegg has the LINKSYS E3000 Wireless Router simultaneous Dual Band Gb 2.4GHz / 5GHz, new, for $59.99, free shipping.
    I have one running Tomato and been a pretty good router for me so far.
  2.    #2  
    FYI, Newegg now has the refurbished E3000 (like mine) for $45.99 after entering a coupon code. It's on the slickdeals front page if you're interested. Note that from what I read, the E3000 running Cisco/Linksys firmware is vulnerable to a reaver wps attack so use DD-WRT or Tomato to mitigate. This is not limited to the E3000 but any wireless router with WPS so you might want to investigate if your router supports WPS.
    Texasflood,

I got that very same router a couple of month ago to replace a WRT54G v2 running Tomato that has always worked flawlessly only because I wanted to be able to have a N signal for the few device I have that supports it.

However, from the day I switched to the dual band router (I installed TomatoUSB right away), my touchpad started having trouble with wifi as described in so many threads of various forums, here included. I have problems both with WebOS and Android.

I don't recall having any issues at all with the WRT54G though and that's why I've always thought the router is doing something but people also say the wifi driver for the TP gives clearly inconsistent results.

what's your experience? do you have any problems at all? I remember seeing you on the LinksysInfo forum too and you surely are more knowledgeable than I am so I'm hoping you can help me resolve my issues :P

n
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by neks View Post
    Texasflood,

I got that very same router a couple of month ago to replace a WRT54G v2 running Tomato that has always worked flawlessly only because I wanted to be able to have a N signal for the few device I have that supports it.

However, from the day I switched to the dual band router (I installed TomatoUSB right away), my touchpad started having trouble with wifi as described in so many threads of various forums, here included. I have problems both with WebOS and Android.

I don't recall having any issues at all with the WRT54G though and that's why I've always thought the router is doing something but people also say the wifi driver for the TP gives clearly inconsistent results.

what's your experience? do you have any problems at all? I remember seeing you on the LinksysInfo forum too and you surely are more knowledgeable than I am so I'm hoping you can help me resolve my issues :P
    I have had problems with the connection sort of zoning out on me, not sure how to describe it, appeared to be still connected but wasn't passing traffic. I run Tomato (Toastman flavor) on mine. Changing the settings mentioned here helped a lot. Some of my other setting at a high level include the following: Using 2.4GHz radio as I find 5GHz lacks range/penetration, 20MHz channel width for maximum range, manually picking a channel that Tomato shows as low interference, slight boost of the router transmit signal, WMM enabled, broadcast SSID, static IP allocation for known devices via DHCP bound to MAC addresses, touchpad wifi policy set to never sleep. I still have some problems at the edge of the routers range but overall It's fine now.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I have had problems with the connection sort of zoning out on me, not sure how to describe it, appeared to be still connected but wasn't passing traffic. I run Tomato (Toastman flavor) on mine. Changing the settings mentioned here helped a lot. Some of my other setting at a high level include the following: Using 2.4GHz radio as I find 5GHz lacks range/penetration, 20MHz channel width for maximum range, manually picking a channel that Tomato shows as low interference, slight boost of the router transmit signal, WMM enabled, broadcast SSID, static IP allocation for known devices via DHCP bound to MAC addresses, touchpad wifi policy set to never sleep. I still have some problems at the edge of the routers range but overall It's fine now.

Well thank you, I sure appreciate your input and you sharing the details of your settings.

Your description "still connected but wasn't passing traffic" is exactly what I have. I've done everything same as you except for making sure that the TP is using the 2.4Ghz radio and I'll do that this week end.

How much did you turn up your signal to? I'm curious, I've not tried that with the E3000 although I did it with the old one
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by neks View Post
    Well thank you, I sure appreciate your input and you sharing the details of your settings.

Your description "still connected but wasn't passing traffic" is exactly what I have. I've done everything same as you except for making sure that the TP is using the 2.4Ghz radio and I'll do that this week end.

How much did you turn up your signal to? I'm curious, I've not tried that with the E3000 although I did it with the old one
    I haven't messed with the power for quite a while so had to go look, it's set to 60mW and to be honest I can't recall what the default is any more, used to be 42. I don't mind turning up the power a bit but never a whole lot as I believe that causes other problems. Since he Touchpad seems to not be the most sensitive radio around, extra power definitely helps at the range fringe areas of my house. You could also put in a range extender router, even an old WRT54G, but it's just simpler to have one access point if you can get away with it. I just upgraded my firmware to "v1.28.7495 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB VPN". I hadn't upgraded since I think it was v1.28.7476 and will fall back to that if I experience any weird issues but hopefully will be OK since my uptime is currently 3 days, 21:54:07 and nothing noticeably weird yet. Good luck.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    FYI, Newegg now has the refurbished E3000 (like mine) for $45.99 after entering a coupon code. It's on the slickdeals front page if you're interested. Note that from what I read, the E3000 running Cisco/Linksys firmware is vulnerable to a reaver wps attack so use DD-WRT or Tomato to mitigate. This is not limited to the E3000 but any wireless router with WPS so you might want to investigate if your router supports WPS.
    Bump to advise Newegg as of now has the refurbished E3000-RM 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz simutaneous dual band router for $45.99 shipped free.