1.    #1  
    Edit: I have one new Pre2 available. Asking $160 + shipping.

I'm still willing to help out with converting FrankenPre's, since there seems to be a demand for some help. Conversions are $35 + shipping. I saw that some websites were charging $80+ to do it. That seems a bit outrageous to me. The $35 is more for my time than anything. If interested, email me at hurstr@yahoo.com.

Here is what I tell everyone:

I will do the conversion on the same day I receive your phone, and ship it back the following day. $10 for shipping, unless you want it quicker. I can ship however you want. Your phone, your money, your choice.

Your Pre- does need to be activated on your account before it is converted. There is a limitation on FrankenPre's that don't allow them to be activated as a Pre2. If you ever want to activate on another line, or if you swap phones and want to swap back, you need to put the comms board back in the Pre, activate it, and then do the conversion again. PITA, but there's no other way around it.

Sprint TV has been a bit funky for me. But it works alright and I never really use it, so i have no problem with it. Sprint Nav is version 2.8.0.24. Updated from the one that originally shipped. There are a few more features, and I use it a lot. I like it.

A couple other issues that my wife and I have seen on the FrankenPre's. Mine is unlocked and hers is Verizon, so I don't think they are specific to either:

Bookmarks seem to be an issue. Neither of us can see any in the list view, and so can't erase any. I can add them, but she hasn't been able to. I don't know the reason for this, and it's not the end of the world. Just something to be aware of.
    Also, when the wifi connects to a known network after being off it for a while, it sometimes doesn't work correctly. Even though it shows connected, speed will be painfully slow. I simply turn wifi off, and then back on, if this happens, and it's fine.
    The phone will sometimes get stuck at 300MHz. Although I think this is a problem with regular Pre 2's as well. Uberkernel seems to take care of this problem.
    Once in a while, when in card view, you won't be able to swipe a card away. This happens especially when you open another card or two in a stack. When you swipe up it scrolls the screen inside the card, rather than swiping it away. When you swipe from left to right, the card won't move, but will slide around under the other stacks. All I do here is get out of card view, then advance gesture swipe to the card in question, and swipe up to card view. This usually solves the problem and allows you to swipe it away.

Really nothing major at all. Just some things we've noticed. I didn't want you to think it got all messed up. =)

If you're ready to go, here's what I will need from you:
    An activated Pre-
    $35 + shipping before I ship it back to you. PayPal or check. A check would be preferred because you can just send it with the phone, and it's simple to keep track of for me, but it's up to you.
    If you want Nav and Sprint TV installed, your Palm Profile info. I know that's a bit worrisome, but all I'm going to use it for is activating the phone to make sure everything worked and installing the correct ipk for Nav. I've done this for around 20 people so far, and I've been a member of this site ever since I was a release day pre- owner, so I'd like to think I'm somewhat trustworthy. I'll understand if you don't want to give this info out, and install Nav on your own. I just want to be clear about what I need to do.
    I can also install Preware so you are good to go when I send the phone back to you.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 09/26/2011 at 08:27 AM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    What city do you live in?

If I mail it off on a monday how long would it be before I would have it back?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    What city do you live in?

If I mail it off on a monday how long would it be before I would have it back?
    I live in Southeast Wisconsin. I can PM you my address if you want to send me the phones. When I receive the phone, I do the conversion that night and mail it back the next day. When you receive the phone back depends on the shipping method and where you live. I did 2 last night, where the members included return labels for FedEx to ensure they get the phones back as fast as possible. They also were able to just send a check to cover the conversion and didn't have to worry about my shipping charges back to them. One did Next Day, the other just did priority. That seems to be the simplest way of getting the phone back asap.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

are you still offering this service? I shot you an email last week never heard back.
    Yea I'm sending mine to him this week. PM him.
  6.    #6  
    I've gotten a few requests for FrankenPre conversions over the last week or so, so I thought I'd bump this if anyone else is interested. It's great to know that the Sprint community is still going strong, so if I can help, let me know!

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    morrison0880 did this conversion for me 1.5 yrs ago, and he's the real deal. He was available by email for the limited support that I needed.

A real deal!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  8.    #8  
    Good to hear it worked out for you man. I've done a couple recently, so it's good to know Sprint is still a home of webOS, even if it's unofficial.