1.    #1  
    Seriously, if anyone sees anyone start to clearance out TP TouchStones they better post here, would love one for the desk at work.

For all those saying webOS is dead, there will be many of us happy to see you go.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have at least 7 of them. Keeping them all.
  3.    #3  
    7 for the TouchPad???
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    mine's up on ebay.. with the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

For all those saying webOS is dead, there will be many of us happy to see you go.
    VWLover, I love you; I do not know you and you do not know me, but you are my camerado.

Your optimism is unshakeable. Your faith is firm. Your soul is proud.

When I look at what HP has done with webOS since buying Palm, I feel ashamed for how they treated people like You. HP has failed us.

I'm not going anywhere. I bought a brand-new Pre Plus for 180 just a few months ago and it's not broken so I don't see any reason to replace it.

I was of the firm opinion that webOS would eventually "make it" just yesterday: sure, the Veer didn't outsell the iPhone and the TouchPad didn't outsell the iPad. But they were both solid devices in their niches, and the TouchPad made huge strides in mindshare - one in ten people already wanted one, only a month after it was released. And make no mistake: there was no huge media outcry about it as there was when the iPad was released. HP had to do all of their marketing themselves, but hey -- it's a marathon, not a sprint, right? The devices we saw until now were just the beginning, and within a year or two of concerted effort on a two-month release schedule, HP can push webOS way forward...

...but today, with HP acknowledging that they reckon they would've needed a year or two to push webOS forward, and adding that they don't want to push for a year or two (implying that they expected webOS to sell itself once the HP name was attached, with no further investment or effort needed), I'm really not so sure.

webOS didn't die of old age or disease or because of some birth defect; in fact it was just about to start blooming. But HP's announcement was like a gunshot to the head.
    The shot didn't go straight through the brain; webOS isn't dead yet. It's at the ICU, and yes, it's possible that it may yet recover. But the outlook isn't good, and even if it does live, it may not walk or talk again. It may not be the webOS we all knew - a fledgling platform with huge potential to make it to the very top.

You've probably read comments of mine in the past. If so, you know I'm generally a positive sort of fellow, one who tries to see the good in things, one who cautions to wait stuff out before immediately assuming the worst and jumping to conclusions, one who tries to keep the glumness out...

...but in this situation, as of today - with HP abandoning the development and production of webOS hardware because they explicitly do not think the risk is worth it, and, surreally, following THAT statement up with implications that they may license webOS out to hardware OEMs if any are interested - as of now, webOS is in the woods, at night, on new moon, without a torch, with zombies at its heels.
    Not because webOS sucks, but because HP had a huge opportunity and bungled it in perhaps the worst of all possible ways: acknowledging its greatness, acknowledging that they only had to invest into the platform and its ecosystem for one or two more years, and then very matter-of-factly stating that they are no longer willing to make that investment
    Or better yet, donate your touchpad to a broke chick like me out of your anger and disgust.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    TS = Touchstone
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I'll see you my TP, TS and case =) What's your offer? And serious offers only pls.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    VWLover, I love you; I do not know you and you do not know me, but you are my camerado.

Your optimism is unshakeable. Your faith is firm. Your soul is proud.

When I look at what HP has done with webOS since buying Palm, I feel ashamed for how they treated people like You. HP has failed us.

I'm not going anywhere. I bought a brand-new Pre Plus for 180 just a few months ago and it's not broken so I don't see any reason to replace it.

I was of the firm opinion that webOS would eventually "make it" just yesterday: sure, the Veer didn't outsell the iPhone and the TouchPad didn't outsell the iPad. But they were both solid devices in their niches, and the TouchPad made huge strides in mindshare - one in ten people already wanted one, only a month after it was released. And make no mistake: there was no huge media outcry about it as there was when the iPad was released. HP had to do all of their marketing themselves, but hey -- it's a marathon, not a sprint, right? The devices we saw until now were just the beginning, and within a year or two of concerted effort on a two-month release schedule, HP can push webOS way forward...

...but today, with HP acknowledging that they reckon they would've needed a year or two to push webOS forward, and adding that they don't want to push for a year or two (implying that they expected webOS to sell itself once the HP name was attached, with no further investment or effort needed), I'm really not so sure.

webOS didn't die of old age or disease or because of some birth defect; in fact it was just about to start blooming. But HP's announcement was like a gunshot to the head.
    The shot didn't go straight through the brain; webOS isn't dead yet. It's at the ICU, and yes, it's possible that it may yet recover. But the outlook isn't good, and even if it does live, it may not walk or talk again. It may not be the webOS we all knew - a fledgling platform with huge potential to make it to the very top.

You've probably read comments of mine in the past. If so, you know I'm generally a positive sort of fellow, one who tries to see the good in things, one who cautions to wait stuff out before immediately assuming the worst and jumping to conclusions, one who tries to keep the glumness out...

...but in this situation, as of today - with HP abandoning the development and production of webOS hardware because they explicitly do not think the risk is worth it, and, surreally, following THAT statement up with implications that they may license webOS out to hardware OEMs if any are interested - as of now, webOS is in the woods, at night, on new moon, without a torch, with zombies at its heels.
    Not because webOS sucks, but because HP had a huge opportunity and bungled it in perhaps the worst of all possible ways: acknowledging its greatness, acknowledging that they only had to invest into the platform and its ecosystem for one or two more years, and then very matter-of-factly stating that they are no longer willing to make that investment
    Couldn't have been said any better. I'm with you too buddy. I'm still gonna be here.
  10.    #10  
    @godshapedhole

wasn't putting you in that category, more talking about those that have been waiting for this. Either way I have my devices, webOS has been niche, and homebrew isn't going anywhere.

even when you are negative you aren't trash talking and haven't been directly bashing (from what I have seen) other users. You state your opinion positive or negative not directed at people. If you see the ferris tweet thread I had to multiple times explain to people there and in other threads that my posts weren't saying it will all turn out for the best but that, I'm fine with what I have and the community around it. I knew what I was buying, and will be around to see what happens. I really have no desire to go elsewhere, and still waiting to see what happens with the Pre3
    Back on topic.... This announcement could do for the TS what happend to the original phone TS back between the Pre+ and the Veer. I have 4 or 5 touchstones for my phones and I got them all for less than $15.00/each with the power cord. Shortly after the Veer came out I noticed they started going back up again. I bet a person could get a TP TS for around $30 in about 2 months.
    Ive got a TS and the jacket thats a day old ready to be shipped off TOMORROW if you want it. Ive got an ad thats currently a few post down from this one. Talk to me goose.
    DIDO! As long as I am able to buy any type pre I will continue to be apar of the webOS community. I love the OS and I wouldn't trade it for any other out there. It's too valuable,virtualy priceless. Precentral.net/webOS/Palm fan for life =)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    DIDO! As long as I am able to buy any type pre I will continue to be apar of the webOS community. I love the OS and I wouldn't trade it for any other out there. It's too valuable,virtualy priceless. Precentral.net/webOS/Palm fan for life =)
    Between TP, Veer, and a Pre3 that will run on AT&T some day, I can stick it out with WebOS for 3 years at least.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Back on topic.... This announcement could do for the TS what happend to the original phone TS back between the Pre+ and the Veer. I have 4 or 5 touchstones for my phones and I got them all for less than $15.00/each with the power cord. Shortly after the Veer came out I noticed they started going back up again. I bet a person could get a TP TS for around $30 in about 2 months.
    I was thinking the same thing, that's why I had to start this post. With all the doom and gloom around here, whatever happens I plan on rocking webOS for years to come.

Ohhh and for the original TS, we have 6 of them currently between the wife and I.
    I wonder if HP will do a clearance sale from its web site.