1.    #1  
    Lost my phone and found it again. So it has a bad ESN from Sprint. I'm guessing you can flash this. Taking offers, and is also up on eBay with 1 1/2 days left. Taking offers.
    eBay link?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Why is the ESN bad? Unpaid bill balance? Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpapesh01 View Post
    Sounds like he lost it, did an insurance claim and got a replacement, then found it again, so the ESN would be blacklisted on Sprint.
    He probably reported it "lost/stolen" to Sprint, so they flag the ESN in the system so that if someone tries to re-activate the "stolen" phone, they can't.

It's a way to deter theft or fraud (someone continuing to use a stolen phone and billing it to someone else or reaping the benefit of cell service on a phone they stole).

I don't know how easy or hard it would be to change the ESN number, but the question I would ask is why the OP didn't simply get Sprint to unflag the ESN. As the original owner of the phone, he should be able to provide sufficient credentials and explanation to Sprint for them to do that.

Given the circumstances, buyer beware! As it is right now, that Pre cannot be activated on Sprint and unless a potential buyer knows EXACTLY what he/she is doing, they won't be able to use it.
    or its stolen. Not saying it is, but it could be....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    or its stolen. Not saying it is, but it could be....
    Very well could be. Highly probable in fact. Even if it isn't, it's a bit unethical to sell a phone that you made an insurance claim on (if that's what happened). Regardless, any buyer is going to have to jump through some major hoops to get this phone working (if it's even possible).

Again, I say buyer beware!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thank you Insp_Gadget. You also answered my real question. If it was reported as lost/stolen, it's actually very easy to call Sprint and have them unflag the ESN. That's why I originally thought something else may be an issue.To OP: If you make that simple call to Sprint the phones value greatly increases. Plus it alleviates everyone's suspicions =)
    Thank you Insp_Gadget. You also answered my real question. If it was reported as lost/stolen, it's actually very easy to call Sprint and have them unflag the ESN. That's why I originally thought something else may be an issue.To OP: If you make that simple call to Sprint the phones value greatly increases. Plus it alleviates everyone's suspicions =)
    If the seller is sincere, he'll provide the ESN for a potential buyer to verify with Sprint. It's still not fullproof, but as you said, if the seller clears up the flagging, and lets buyers verify through Sprint, then it might be legit (though still unethical...the phone should have been returned to Sprint if it was found after an insurance claim was made).
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    If the seller is sincere, he'll provide the ESN for a potential buyer to verify with Sprint. It's still not fullproof, but as you said, if the seller clears up the flagging, and lets buyers verify through Sprint, then it might be legit (though still unethical...the phone should have been returned to Sprint if it was found after an insurance claim was made).
    I'll agree selling it is unethical.

But unless Asurion returns the $100 why would anyone return the once lost but found phone? It would be un flagged and stored in a box as backup if it happen to me. But returned after paying $100 not unless I got some money back.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I'll agree selling it is unethical.

But unless Asurion returns the $100 why would anyone return the once lost but found phone? It would be un flagged and stored in a box as backup if it happen to me. But returned after paying $100 not unless I got some money back.
    Granted, I'll give you that. After paying a deductible I see your point. If I were the OP I would have contacted the insurer and explained the situation. I'm sure Sprint/Assuron would rather NOT pay out if they didn't have to. So I'm sure the OP could have returned the replacement, gotten Sprint to unflag his original phone, and gotten his money back on the deductible.

He probably still can if he doesn't find a sucker (buyer). ;-)
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Granted, I'll give you that. After paying a deductible I see your point. If I were the OP I would have contacted the insurer and explained the situation. I'm sure Sprint/Assuron would rather NOT pay out if they didn't have to. So I'm sure the OP could have returned the replacement, gotten Sprint to unflag his original phone, and gotten his money back on the deductible.

He probably still can if he doesn't find a sucker (buyer). ;-)
    I'll give the OP some props for admitting it has a bad ESN but only a sucker would buy one with a bad ESN unless they plan on using it for parts.
    He stated it had a bad ESN from the get go... I don't get what all the discussion is about...

People commonly use bad esn phones as a source for replacement parts and stuff like that.
  14.    #14  
    ok, don't know why there are many ******* talking about ethical issues. i reported it lost, paid $100 deductible for a new one. i'm assuming i can't use this phone anymore or get it unflagged if they already restricted it, because that means I got a new Palm Pre for $100. so i am now selling it to just get back the deductible i paid. wrong? i don't think so. i'm selling this as a repair parts or whoever knows how to do the flashing stuff, which i don't know how that works otherwise i would keep it.
    I guess the solution for the potential buyer would be to Pm the seller and ask for the ESN, and then call Sprint/Palm and see if the device is even able to be activated.
    And if not, find out if the device is legit.

No need to bash the OP with accusations.

Thanks,
    -Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    If you filed a insurance claim against a phone, the "victim" phone is flagged therefor the ESN is blacklisted. It cannot be activated anymore. If you find the phone, you're supposed to return it to Asurion, not sell it.

If you're willing to break the rules, you can sell it on here, but it will never be able to be unflagged, since you're not even supposed to have the phone anymore in the first place. It can only be flashed to a place like Cricket.

In all honesty, Send it back to Asurion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Lost my phone and found it again. So it has a bad ESN from Sprint. I'm guessing you can flash this. Taking offers, and is also up on eBay with 1 1/2 days left. Taking offers.

So how much you want for it? I'm interested.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  18. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    At this point it is insurance fraud. The OP has a legal obligation to inform Asurion that he found his "lost" phone.

Selling the "lost and found" phone is unethical and illegal and anyone who buys it is an accomplice to insurance fraud.
    Cheers

Charles
    Ok,

It seems the overwhelming majority sees an issue here.

<<closed>>

If you'd like to try and sell it here at Pre|C, I suggest you contact the insurance provider, let them know you found the phone and now want to sell it for parts. Ask them if that's okay. If you can get staff here an email or some other documentation that you are free to sell the phone, then fine.

I don't know enough about this, so I'm acting upon the majority who posted, and reported this thread.

-Berd
    Just call me Berd.