Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After many troubles with my Pre, I bought a HTC Hero last night. I feel like I've made a good decision and have a better phone now. I had hope for the Pre but I was tired of waiting.

So I have a Pre for sale if anyone is interested. $125

Why so cheap? The power/wake button on top doesn't work. Quit working 2 weeks after I bought the phone. Slight Oreo. Other then that it works fine. Shows a little wear also. But hey for $125 you can buy it and do an insurance claim and come out cheaper then buying one of ebay.
    The hell? If it quit working after two weeks, why didn't you just take it back?

What's the ESN? No offense, but I learned the hard way to not trust online phone bargains.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    The hell? If it quit working after two weeks, why didn't you just take it back?

What's the ESN? No offense, but I learned the hard way to not trust online phone bargains.
    I bought the phone off ebay for $300 with a clean ESN. So there was no just taking it back. I could have sent the phone back to the guy and got a new one but I had already sold my old phone and couldn't go a week or so with out a phone so I just kept it.

I am an honest person. That is why I mentioned the problems with the phone. If you think this is a scam then don't bother. If I was just trying to scam someone I would sell it for more and not mention any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    I am an honest person. That is why I mentioned the problems with the phone. If you think this is a scam then don't bother. If I was just trying to scam someone I would sell it for more and not mention any problems.
    Unless mentioning the problems is all part of the scam. Ha!

Really this probably isn't a scam but I do think this belongs here.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    or just link the formum to an ebay listing...that way all protections in place
    Bought my wife a Hero (and my daughter a Pixi, which I really like but my fingers are too big) and I gotta say, I cannot wait til June when I can get a Google phone. I love my Pre, but I'd love to have half the "Stuff" that a Hero has, which basically has what the Pre has but more. I will miss the Multi tasking, but simple things as big as a 5MP Camera with VIDEO to being able to put a comment on a picture uploaded to Facebook. Simple things that you expect in a "Smart Phone" but are lacking in the Pre. I know it's a new operating system on new hardware, and these things are "Coming" but it's clear where the influence is being put. When one company can fill up the app catalog with the same application and charge 3 bucks for each, thats a scary sign of things to come.

I am on my second Pre due to hardware issues, and I'm about to get my 3rd, and when it comes, I may just sell the new one myself so I can get a Hero now!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
    Bought my wife a Hero (and my daughter a Pixi, which I really like but my fingers are too big) and I gotta say, I cannot wait til June when I can get a Google phone. I love my Pre, but I'd love to have half the "Stuff" that a Hero has, which basically has what the Pre has but more. I will miss the Multi tasking, but simple things as big as a 5MP Camera with VIDEO to being able to put a comment on a picture uploaded to Facebook. Simple things that you expect in a "Smart Phone" but are lacking in the Pre. I know it's a new operating system on new hardware, and these things are "Coming" but it's clear where the influence is being put. When one company can fill up the app catalog with the same application and charge 3 bucks for each, thats a scary sign of things to come.

I am on my second Pre due to hardware issues, and I'm about to get my 3rd, and when it comes, I may just sell the new one myself so I can get a Hero now!
    This can be done with the Palm Facebook app that was released with WebOS 1.3.1

So I have a Pre for sale if anyone is interested. $125

Why so cheap? The power/wake button on top doesn't work.
    Seems to be a common issue. Is it stuck? That's what happened to my previous phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post

I'm on Pre #3 myself - but I do love this phone.
    Sorry, I just can't let this one pass.

Do you really think encouraging others to commit insurance fraud is part of that "honest person" and "not trying to scam" front? (And yes, buying a defective unit, taking out insurance on it, and then submitting a claim is fraud)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Unless mentioning the problems is all part of the scam. Ha!

Really this probably isn't a scam but I do think this belongs here.
    It does.

Moved and Corrected thread title to match content.

- Craig
  11.    #11  
    Sorry, I wasn't exactly thinking about "committing fraud" I could make a claim myself. But its an hassle and will cost me another $100 bucks. Which I may do if I can't sell it how it is.

I don't get why you guys are busting my chops. I used the phone for months. I've been on here for awhile. I have not tried to sell anything. I'm not trying to scam anyone I just thought I'd give a heads up on a cheap Pre. If you guys this its a scam just lock the thread or delete it. I'll get rid of my phone with or with out the help of this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I just can't let this one pass.

Do you really think encouraging others to commit insurance fraud is part of that "honest person" and "not trying to scam" front? (And yes, buying a defective unit, taking out insurance on it, and then submitting a claim is fraud)
    I gotta agree on this one.
    Sorry, I wasn't exactly thinking about "committing fraud" I could make a claim myself. But its an hassle and will cost me another $100 bucks. Which I may do if I can't sell it how it is.

I don't get why you guys are busting my chops. I used the phone for months. I've been on here for awhile. I have not tried to sell anything. I'm not trying to scam anyone I just thought I'd give a heads up on a cheap Pre. If you guys this its a scam just lock the thread or delete it. I'll get rid of my phone with or with out the help of this site.
    I don't think that anyone's really busting your chops for selling the Pre in it's current condition - I think it's probably because your leaving the Pre community with a sour taste in your mouth and trying to throw it in the Pre users faces. Good luck with your sale and your new Hero. Just hope you don't feel the same way about that new phone and regret pushing your Pre to the side so easily. You might not be welcomed with open arms here (j/k)
    Quote Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
    I don't think that anyone's really busting your chops for selling the Pre in it's current condition - I think it's probably because your leaving the Pre community with a sour taste in your mouth and trying to throw it in the Pre users faces. Good luck with your sale and your new Hero. Just hope you don't feel the same way about that new phone and regret pushing your Pre to the side so easily. You might not be welcomed with open arms here (j/k)
    Or it could be that you're overly anal and taking this to heart.. If he wants to sell his phone and say whatever he wants about it, let him. Who are you to tell him otherwise? It's his view, opinion, and it should stay that way. Not meant for people like you to blow it out of proportions here.
    I have to agree as well. The only reason to buy a broken Pre would be to insure it and then make a fraudulent claim that it was defective.

But that is $100 + $19 for the insurance claim plus $7/month for the coverage plus you have to buy this phone for $125. All to end up with someone else's refurbished Pre? And think about it. Why was the refurbished phone returned? Because it was someone else's problem.

So for about $300 you can end with someone else's refurbished phone? Why would anyone put themselves through that?

For $300 on eBay you can at least get a phone that is claimed to be new and to work from a seller with a 99% rating. You also do have recourse through eBay and PayPal if it is not right. It works really well. The seller's PayPal account is frozen until it is worked out. So if someone tells you they did not do such a simple thing as to even contact the seller, you have to wonder what is up. Selling it here is way more work that a reply to an ebay seller.

Pre's were $79 at Best Buy and $99 at the Sprint stores on Black Friday and you got to know that they will be again. Full contract price is only $149.

If you intend to stay with Sprint, why take a chance on a bad phone from eBay or a known bad phone here?

Most of us are on the Sprint Premier list and can upgrade in a year.

Unless someone can explain a legitimate way that someone can use this phone, I will close this thread.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/16/2009 at 10:14 AM.
  16.    #16  
    I've been with sprint for 5 years. I feel no need to change. I wasn't up for a upgrade when I bought the Pre. Thats why I bought one of ebay for $300. I've had the Pre for 3-4 months now and used it until last night when I bought a Hero. This time from the Sprint store because I was eligible for an upgrade.

I don't have a sour taste. I've had some hardware issues. (power button, oreo) and wasn't %100 satisfied with the software. Which seems to be majority of this site. Everyone is waiting for the next update. I got tired of waiting so I moved on.
    Why so cheap? The power/wake button on top doesn't work. ...
    Dude, this is easily fixed. The phone is less than a year old. Palm considers it still under warranty and Sprint would likely honor the warranty even though you bought the phone used. It would have been worth a try to have brought it to a Sprint store to see if they would fix it under the Palm warranty (in store, while you wait).

After many troubles with my Pre, I bought a HTC Hero last night. I feel like I've made a good decision ...
    You made a bad decision buying used and paid too much. You compounded this bad decision by buying yet another expensive phone instead of repairing the one you had. Now you are hoping someone else will make a similar bad decision and bail you out of your first mistake?

With a little ingenuity, my understanding is you can repair the power switch on your own without even taking the phone apart.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Or it could be that you're overly anal and taking this to heart.. If he wants to sell his phone and say whatever he wants about it, let him. Who are you to tell him otherwise? It's his view, opinion, and it should stay that way. Not meant for people like you to blow it out of proportions here.
    Why would I be taking this to heart? The OP hasn't affected my phone, bill, or useage at all. At what point did you read something that I wrote and it made you think that I "[blew] it out of proportion"? But if you'd like me too, I could ... I could inform you that you need to have the phone insured a minimum of 30-60 days before making a claim. I could say that by implying and proceeding with the phone exchange through Sprint and their insurance company is a violation of the EULA on both parts. I could say that selling a phone in THAT condition and implicating and proceeding with the swap through Sprint and their insurance company violates state and local laws (where it applies) and carries hefty fines and possible prison terms of up to 7 years. I could say that federal laws would then take course because the intent to commit fraud and by committing fraud for doing this, is a separate offense from state and local laws. Yes, it is a federal crime and yes, it will be a jail term and separate fines from what I previously stated. You'll probably say what makes me an expert on this - I don't think that I need to state my credentials (it's self explanatory). But I don't want to "blow it out of proportion".

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have to agree as well. The only reason to buy a broken Pre would be to insure it and then make a fraudulent claim that it was defective.

Unless someone can explain a legitimate way that someone can use this phone, I will close this thread.

- Craig
    Legitimate? .... As is for no exchange (not likely) or parts. As for shutting this thread down .... +1
    Last edited by officer140; 12/16/2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
    POWER TO THE PREOPLE!!
  19.    #19  
    Why would I be taking this to heart? The OP hasn't affected my phone, bill, or useage at all. At what point did you read something that I wrote and it made you think that I "[blew] it out of proportion"? But if you'd like me too, I could ... I could inform you that you need to have the phone insured a minimum of 30-60 days before making a claim. I could say that by implying and proceeding with the phone exchange through Sprint and their insurance company is a violation of the EULA on both parts. I could say that selling a phone in THAT condition and implicating and proceeding with the swap through Sprint and their insurance company violates state and local laws (where it applies) and carries hefty fines and possible prison terms of up to 7 years. I could say that federal laws would then take course because the intent to commit fraud and by committing fraud for doing this, is a separate offense from state and local laws. Yes, it is a federal crime and yes, it will be a jail term and separate fines from what I previously stated. You'll probably say what makes me an expert on this - I don't think that I need to state my credentials (it's self explanatory). But I don't want to "blow it out of proportion".

Legitimate? .... As is for no exchange (not likely) or parts. As for shutting this thread down .... +1
    Get out of here. Please. I don't want to read this nonsense. You did blow this whole thing out of proportion. I guess it makes you **** hurt to see someone leaving the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

- Craig
    Someone could end up buying it for parts, or to tear down for research. I wouldn't close the thread since it is now in the right spot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast