1.    #1  
    Ordered Treo on 2/11/02 .
    Credit card CHARGED on 2/25/02
    as of 3/01/02 NO UNIT HAS SHIPPED.
    Handsprings answer >> um ah duh Treos are shipping within 1-3 weeks. UM ah I ordered three weeks ago... ah duh Voicestream is delaying.... OK why?? No answer... long silence... Can I cancel and order without service? Umm ya but other order cant be canceled???

In other words dont bother ordering a Treo with serice from Voicetream.. you will never get your product . They will charge your credit card.. how sweet of them
    It's unfortunate they charged your credit card already. I recall seeing on their site that they would not charge you until it shipped...and I was specifically told that on the phone. The problem really is with VS. HS customer service is just not handling the situation well. Very unfortunate for what sounds like a great product. I keep telling myself that saving $150 is worth the wait. But it's hard....
    Blue73 -

Are you sure your card was charged? Mine has a "hold" for the amount, which happens when a merchant performs the initial authorization, but no charge has come through. Thus, the dollar amount is not part of my current balance, but my available credit is reduced by the amount. I believe holds can stay on for a week or so. This protects the merchant by not allowing the credit to be used between the time that the order is placed and the time of shipping. Check with your credit card people - if this is the case, then there's nothing wrong with it.

With regard to HS customer service - they're just doing what they're told - don't shoot the messenger...

I want my Treo too...
  4.    #4  
    Well I was pleasantly suprised with Voicestreams reply to my questions. First of all in the past VS customer service was terrible, I guess D- Telekoms influence has come into effect now. The girl I spoke to was very nice and took the time to ASK someone what the deal was on the Treos. She was able to pull up some information as to why they are not being shipped. It appears there is a a compatiblity issue with Voicestreams GPRS system (which does work in certain markets). They are working with Handspring to overcome this issue. Of course the Handspring people made no mention of this to me at all, nor did they make any attempt to get more info.
    What bugs me is the people that bought without service and are using Voicestream are not having any problems.
    Oh well, this just shows that HS customer service is no better than the day they opened their doors. You would think they could have the decency to send emails out or post something as to why they are having problems.

The true kicker is Handspring is selling the damn things on EBAY! Check for yourself.
  5.    #5  
    ddenson
    I see your point but the people answering the phones should not reply with the same info that is posted on the web site. I ordered on the day they sent me the email for ordering and was told the unit would ship on the 25th. We dont deserve a email or something posted on the web site as to why are orders have not shipped when promised? I think this is a VERY poor reflection on Handspring as company. Especially when they are betting their future on this product.
    I'm quite sure the problem is not the GPRS issue. The treo wasn't supposed to be compatible with GPRS right out of the box. That's something that needed to be worked on with HS, VS and cingular. HS site says there will be a software patch available (in the coming months) to make the treo GPRS compatible. VS has only just started testing the treo(from the VS person I spoke with last week). But that was not supposed to hold up initial shipments.
  7.    #7  
    I am sure you are right about the GPRS. From what I understand it does not work in all areas.
    The whole reason I started this thread is just to point out how terrible HS customer service. They should at least have the decency to send an email out to the people that are waiting. After all they are the ones that sent me the email to order the unit with the 25 th as the ship date.

GSM is GSM, there is nothing special about a SIM card.
    It may be that the "GPRS issue" is that in areas with active GPRS, the treo seems to be getting mixed signals because it's not updated to GPRS yet. I've got mine working fine here in Minnesota, where to my knowledge GPRS has yet to be rolled out.

I'm sad to hear the stories about VoiceStream customers being left out in the cold...
    Blue73,

I think you are beign a bit harsh. All indications is that the holdup is by VoiceStream. Cingular users are getting their Treos withotu any problems..so are those that buy it with service. Handspring CS..even if they know what the holdup is, cannot say. Why? Because VoiceStream and Handspring does not want you to know why..ever heard fo corporate secrets? WIth the proliferation of the internet, anything that a company say could be miscontrued and affect stock prices etc. Relax..I bet that you will get your Treo on early next week as promised.

Originally posted by Blue73
    I am sure you are right about the GPRS. From what I understand it does not work in all areas.
    The whole reason I started this thread is just to point out how terrible HS customer service. They should at least have the decency to send an email out to the people that are waiting. After all they are the ones that sent me the email to order the unit with the 25 th as the ship date.

GSM is GSM, there is nothing special about a SIM card.
  10.    #10  
    Gee you must work for Handspring. So you find it ok to charge someones credit card and give indication why the item has not shipped? You are telling me Handspring is not capable of sending a bulk email to all the people buying with Voicestream service explaining why they have delayed the shipment?? At least Voicestream attempts to give a reason why.
    The sure as heck no how to send me 3 emails aweek pushing an item that they cant ship.
    I and anyone else that was giving a 25th date have every reason to be PISSED OFF.
    Go back to your cubicle at Handspring and recite your "treos will ship in 1 to 3 weeks" crap to someone else.
    Oh and I didnt get promised crap,I never got aYour unit will arrive the first of the week. I did not get any reason WHY I dont have my unit.
    Blue73, please watch the language and personal insults. We won't tolerate either of them here.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Hopefully in a week we'll ALL be playing with our new treos and the "preparing order" message will be a distant memory! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    I can reasure you that your card wasn't charged, that is, until your Treo ships. All merchants place a hold on the funds for the item(s) ordered -- it's a safety net so to speak.

All of the Treos should be in customers' hands within the next week. Handspring has had a great deal of success with the Treo, I would say more than what was expected. I can also reasure you that the majority of the Treo customers (Cingular and unsubsidized) are pleased with their new phone/PDA. I am sure you'll find the Treo to be exactly what you thought it would be -- maybe more?

Any customer service center does exactly as they're instructed to do by the client they represent. I am sure that Handspring is in no way trying to mislead it's customers. Handspring has been very upfront about stating the expected ship times for the Treo. I honestly feel that they'll come in pretty close to the expectations they set from the begining.

We all need to realize that the Treo is well worth the wait!
    Well Said!

I think Blue73 missed my point.

Originally posted by comcom
    I can reasure you that your card wasn't charged, that is, until your Treo ships. All merchants place a hold on the funds for the item(s) ordered -- it's a safety net so to speak.

All of the Treos should be in customers' hands within the next week. Handspring has had a great deal of success with the Treo, I would say more than what was expected. I can also reasure you that the majority of the Treo customers (Cingular and unsubsidized) are pleased with their new phone/PDA. I am sure you'll find the Treo to be exactly what you thought it would be -- maybe more?

Any customer service center does exactly as they're instructed to do by the client they represent. I am sure that Handspring is in no way trying to mislead it's customers. Handspring has been very upfront about stating the expected ship times for the Treo. I honestly feel that they'll come in pretty close to the expectations they set from the begining.

We all need to realize that the Treo is well worth the wait!