Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Smashwords, in general is a great site for downloading ebooks for free in many formats in all genres. Most of them are by indie authors, but you might be surprised at the quality.

I'm making my novel XENOLITH (click 'best sellers') available for free there until November 11. Use coupon code: WM58L
    Last edited by ASparrow; 10/20/2009 at 03:04 PM.
    so you just go to the site and download this, and then open to read using the Palm eReader?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Yes. There are about 6 different formats available. I think epub works best for the PRE, but the pdb format for older Palms is available too (which I use on my TX).
    K just tried downloading on my Pre...PROBLEM

I went to the site and signed up etc, clicked on your book, clicked the code etc.
    I think tapped the download link for .epub....and then a few others such as .txt, .pdb, .pdf

I get this error every time I tap on the download bar (and in the Palm Reader app, it doesnt find it in the library either)

No Handler for file:///media/internal/downloads/(...filename....)

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    The problem is not with Smashwords because I was able to download all of the formats to a PC just fine and open them just fine.

One workaround is to load a PalmOS emulator and use one of the old palm applications.

Do a search for "Palm Classics emulator" and the "Mobipocket" ebook app. (I'm too new here to be allowed to provide links).
    Last edited by ASparrow; 10/20/2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Apparently a native version of ereader for Palm Pre will be ported over soon. Until then people have to make do with emulators (expensive! $30) or a not so great application called ShortCovers.

Sorry for misleading you. I thought for sure the Pre would already be optimized for ebooks. As a longtime Treo and TX user I've been wanting to get one, but hopefully ereader will be coming soon.
    So, I know that hte short covers app is available. If that is installed it should work then if trying to open in shortcovers?

Will try soon, is there a format shortcovers prefers?

UPDATE: Tried the ShortCovers that come with the Pre, it looks like you can buy books from there but not read ones you tried downloading from somehwere else.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 10/20/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    To my knowledge, ShortCovers only works with their own proprietary format in conjunction with their own web site.
    I take that back: ShortCovers may be able to handle an ePub file, but I see no obvious way to open a local file from within the ShortCovers interface. It may be possible to put a book in the directory where it knows to look and have it be picked up; I'll play with it later.
    I'm having little or no luck with this; it looks like the ShortCovers app is tied to your web account.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    All Smashwords books are now being distributed to Shortcovers. Mine isn't there yet, but it should show up soon.

Have you tried any of the new readers with Shortcovers and have they worked any better for you?
    XENOLITH (a contemporary fantasy)
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4612
    FREE with coupon code XY39L