View Poll Results: After viewing this thread I am going to....

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • rush and download PreLoad.

11 8.94%
  • still not download it...too sketchy.

16 13.01%
  • wait until it is in FileCoaster.

31 25.20%
  • continue to enjoy PreLoad, which I already have!

36 29.27%
  • ...go take a dump

29 23.58%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chefjabril11 View Post
    Its weird, cuz I downloaded preload with filecoaster

I did the same thing! I like Preload for ringtones and wallpapers! It has a bunch of good ones. i use Filecoaster for apps though.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcohen2009 View Post
    I downloaded it and The App and I like FileCoaster Much better
    cool.

can you provide reasoning/suggestions?

thanks for you input!
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS91572 View Post
    I did the same thing! I like Preload for ringtones and wallpapers! It has a bunch of good ones. i use Filecoaster for apps though.
    Yeah, I use it a lot for ringtones! Please remember, to see all the apps you have to go to Repositories, and then click on your desired repo...(the precentral repo has most of the apps). I have been notified that in the next update, this will be fixed to show all under applications. There are now pics/icons of the app as well when browsing through the list.

Just making sure you knew this, because I know a lot of people skipped over it.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The PreUpdate is something that was missing with regards to Homebrew apps. This is very nice, since I like to stay on my toes with updates, but the apps are growing so quickly on PreCentral that it's real hard to keep up and see what I've missed.

The fact that the updater gives you a list of ALL apps in your phone (regardless of where you originally got them), then sorts them where you have the "non-updated" ones at top, really makes it worthwhile. It even serves as a reminder to delete some apps that I don't use.

Great coding effort. You even have the native apps in there (although I can understand why you can't get any info on them yet). Good work on this.

I agree that the navigation requires someone to know what they're looking for, and it's a little complex, but I can see how this can be a tremendous COMPLIMENT (not competition) to what PreCentral is doing. Long term, I see these two working great as a pair.

Currently, I use PreLoad to search around for ringtones and wallpapers. I ocasionally load up the app catalog to see if there is anything else in there, but since it's not all right there in front of my face, then I find myself shutting it down and going to FileCoaster.

That being said, I think that the direction of this type of format is what is needed long term. When we have thousands of apps to choose from, a simple list just won't cut it. For FileCoaster and PreLoad, maybe a preference in the app calalog to list by type, rating, or release date would be nice (I know it's not the easiest thing to do, so I'm patient). For PreLoad, simply clean it up a little to add icons so that simpple people like me see a pretty picture and then click on it to see what it's about (image isn't everything, but it is something).

Again, great work and thanks for the effort in stretching everyone else and keeping people on their toes.

**Edit**
    True, that the original post was a little overboard. No harm, no foul though. Just lessons learned for future threads.
    Last edited by Kelley B; 08/17/2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: comment on OP
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    The PreUpdate is something that was missing with regards to Homebrew apps. This is very nice, since I like to stay on my toes with updates, but the apps are growing so quickly on PreCentral that it's real hard to keep up and see what I've missed.

The fact that the updater gives you a list of ALL apps in your phone (regardless of where you originally got them), then sorts them where you have the "non-updated" ones at top, really makes it worthwhile. It even serves as a reminder to delete some apps that I don't use.

Great coding effort. You even have the native apps in there (although I can understand why you can't get any info on them yet). Good work on this.

I agree that the navigation requires someone to know what they're looking for, and it's a little complex, but I can see how this can be a tremendous COMPLIMENT (not competition) to what PreCentral is doing. Long term, I see these two working great as a pair.

Currently, I use PreLoad to search around for ringtones and wallpapers. I ocasionally load up the app catalog to see if there is anything else in there, but since it's not all right there in front of my face, then I find myself shutting it down and going to FileCoaster.

That being said, I think that the direction of this type of format is what is needed long term. When we have thousands of apps to choose from, a simple list just won't cut it. For FileCoaster and PreLoad, maybe a preference in the app calalog to list by type, rating, or release date would be nice (I know it's not the easiest thing to do, so I'm patient). For PreLoad, simply clean it up a little to add icons so that simpple people like me see a pretty picture and then click on it to see what it's about (image isn't everything, but it is something).

Again, great work and thanks for the effort in stretching everyone else and keeping people on their toes.

**Edit**
    True, that the original post was a little overboard. No harm, no foul though. Just lessons learned for future threads.
    You are right on the money! I agree with you, that interface and such are needing improvement. I spoke with the dev, and categorization is in their books of future updates. As for apps, they were updated yesterday to show their individual icon (the user didn't have to update the app though). In their next update, which will not be too far off, the apps in all the repos will show up in the applications folder. Hopefully that will make it a lot simpler and easier to use! The devs are always on the message board taking suggestions, almost 24/7 (literally ). Please feel free to join in on the conversation, to help make PreLoad better!

In fact, they even asked users through the message board near launch if they wanted better looks, or more features and what not. We agreed we wanted more content. They have successfully brought us just that, and now it seems to me that they are working on presentation, and organization.

I love how you recognized that this is not a competition. Thanks!
    PreLoad is just ok. I would much rather use filecoaster for apps and as far as searching for ringtones and wallpapers it's a hassle. Perhaps an update will fix it but right now I'm using PreLoad and it won't update properly. When you search for something and then back it goes to the very beginning not where you were so if you're just searching through everything you have to go through it all, all over again. It's definitely headed in the right direction though.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon1983 View Post
    PreLoad is just ok. I would much rather use filecoaster for apps and as far as searching for ringtones and wallpapers it's a hassle. Perhaps an update will fix it but right now I'm using PreLoad and it won't update properly. When you search for something and then back it goes to the very beginning not where you were so if you're just searching through everything you have to go through it all, all over again. It's definitely headed in the right direction though.
    You are definitely two updates behind...you may want to go ahead and update it through the link provided in the first post. I suggest deleting the version you currently have, and re-installing.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kingjain; 08/17/2009 at 06:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    The Marketplace forum is for:

Users buy, sell, and trade their products. Also post specials you have found here.

- Craig
    Based on your logic that this thread belongs in Marketplace because the developers ask for donations, why is the Active Home screen thread (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html) not also in Marketplace? The ONLY way to get their beta is by making a donation, whereas for PreLoad, you can have it with or without a donation.
    Steve
    Ok, when I saw they moved this to 'Marketplace' I DLed the app right away just to spite their childish attempt to bury this and I have to say, despite my previous grumblings, it is a really great application! Better than filecoaster by far with the promise of being a killer.

Thanks to all the coders who put this together....well worth paying for IMO.
    Same with mytether...has all that been moved to marketplace?

Stuff like this has killed once great Web sites in the past and I see no reason not to expect the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Based on your logic that this thread belongs in Marketplace because the developers ask for donations, why is the Active Home screen thread (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html) not also in Marketplace? The ONLY way to get their beta is by making a donation, whereas for PreLoad, you can have it with or without a donation.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Filecoaster has a donate option too.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    Filecoaster has a donate option too.
    Wow you're right, I didn't even notice that until now....I wonder what the big deal is about PreLoad then, hmm....
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
    Wow you're right, I didn't even notice that until now....I wonder what the big deal is about PreLoad then, hmm....
    Kingjain-

I pm'd the Admin and he said that they were reviewing the situation and having a hard time because this is a very new situation.

I believe that once they hash it out, they will put this back where it belongs, instead of here in the marketplace.
    Steve
    WOW this is crazy. If theres ANY program that belongs in the Marketplace its that dag on my home screen program!!!!
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Kingjain-

I pm'd the Admin and he said that they were reviewing the situation and having a hard time because this is a very new situation.

I believe that once they hash it out, they will put this back where it belongs, instead of here in the marketplace.
    I emailed Dieter a couple days ago as well.

Dang...this thread wasn't meant to be discussing which thread it belongs in.....destroys the purpose. Maybe such a thread should be created
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Still not moved??? I don't get it. Donation requests are all over the place, and "preload" and "preupdate" should be allowed same opportunity as others. They are both great programs. People should be allowed to decide for themselves without threads about these programs being hidden. Please give them a fair chance. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I just go to new posts on the green bar above each day, so though this does not belong in the marketplace forum, I find it easily whenever someone posts. Although a new post in another forum could be tried. Thanks kingjain for mentioning the repository. I did not see that until I read your post. Like the enlarged icon view as well. Maybe start a thread about ringtones or wallpapers, mentioning a new one added and available on Preload.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtina View Post
    I just go to new posts on the green bar above each day, so though this does not belong in the marketplace forum, I find it easily whenever someone posts. Although a new post in another forum could be tried. Thanks kingjain for mentioning the repository. I did not see that until I read your post. Like the enlarged icon view as well. Maybe start a thread about ringtones or wallpapers, mentioning a new one added and available on Preload.
    No prob, though you should be able to see all the apps in the applications section after the next update!

The prob is that minimal people look in this thread, or care to see it once they realize it's in the marketplace forum. But, most of all, it just doesn't belong here!

I actually have a ringtones thread, just need some time to update it. Link is in my signature!
    First of all I want to say that I use both Preload and Filecoaster. Both have apps have their pluses and minuses as other users here have already laid out. I actually like using Preupdater alot and find that to be a very useful feature and Preload definitely has a niche for it wallpaper and ringers, and once the GUI on the app is cleaned up I think it will be a fanastic app!

However the conspiracy theories here about why this thread is in the marketplace is silly. First of all the MAIN developer threads for Preload are in the dev forums and have never been moved. This is not the main developer thread for that app. This thread is promoting or selling a app which is like selling any other kind of product. It is unclear whether the users posting in this thread have any vested interest with the app being promoted and because of that dubious nature the thread was moved. The point here is to have an open and free community and to generate as much interest in homebrew apps for the webos ecosystem. I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but as a community it is important to be as transparent as possible and that is why I think the thread was moved to this forum.

Also, I just want to say that this is just MY opinion. Moderators are volunteers and users just like anyone who give their free time to contribute to this community. Just my 2 cents...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    First of all I want to say that I use both Preload and Filecoaster. Both have apps have their pluses and minuses as other users here have already laid out. I actually like using Preupdater alot and find that to be a very useful feature and Preload definitely has a niche for it wallpaper and ringers, and once the GUI on the app is cleaned up I think it will be a fanastic app!

However the conspiracy theories here about why this thread is in the marketplace is silly. First of all the MAIN developer threads for Preload are in the dev forums and have never been moved. This is not the main developer thread for that app. This thread is promoting or selling a app which is like selling any other kind of product. It is unclear whether the users posting in this thread have any vested interest with the app being promoted and because of that dubious nature the thread was moved. The point here is to have an open and free community and to generate as much interest in homebrew apps for the webos ecosystem. I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but as a community it is important to be as transparent as possible and that is why I think the thread was moved to this forum.

Also, I just want to say that this is just MY opinion. Moderators are volunteers and users just like anyone who give their free time to contribute to this community. Just my 2 cents...
    Cool, and thanks for your contributions!

I am not trying to sell the app, i'm trying to sell the new features in the app..which by the way many people are benefiting from. Many simply didn't know what PreLoad could do, or didn't know what to do when they got it, and I know this helped many out! (just give a run through the last couple pages of the thread!)

Just tried to give my 2 cents

Again, thanks, you have been really helpful to me in the past as well!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast