View Poll Results: After viewing this thread I am going to....

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • rush and download PreLoad.

11 8.94%
  • still not download it...too sketchy.

16 13.01%
  • wait until it is in FileCoaster.

31 25.20%
  • continue to enjoy PreLoad, which I already have!

36 29.27%
  • ...go take a dump

29 23.58%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I think you guys are doing a great job. Love your new app "preupdate", it worked great to update my hb apps. I will be donating when I am able...thanks a bunch!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    I just wanted to respond to whomever said something about the donation icons.

You must understand that PreLoad isn't like your normal Aplication. A normal application gets posted somewhere and that server's bandwidth is being used for people to download it. Typically, that's PreCentral or the PreCentral feed through Preware. That is awesome of them to do this.

Now, PreLoad works off of that concept. You have these apps that you want to download and we streamline the feeds through our server, and we have apps on our server of our own. Everytime you download one it uses bandwidth - our bandwidth actually.

Whenever you view a list of wallpapers, download a ringtone, preview a sound - that's *more* bandwidth. That doesn't happen when you play a fart sound, find your car, or use googyOS to view the google apps (love those apps guys!!!). The typial app is on your phone and it's being used at no cost to the developer. Even filecoaster uses Precentral's feed, not a server that the developer pays for (as far as I know).

As of now, people have downloaded and used so much that we have used up 70 GIGS of transfer bandwidth. We are paying out of our own pockets for a dedicated server to handle this load. I don't see why asking for a donation is bad. It's not REQUIRED like some other apps. We have also stated publically, and Rod from Preware will hold us to this forever, that PreLoad is and always will be free. If you have another option for us to pay $160 a month for this app without asking for donations, we'd appreciate it.

Eventually, yes, we're going to have to put and ad or two on there to get this thing to pay for itself. We use it just as much as everyone else. Does that diminish the app or us in some way? Because we may get to a point where we can't afford to pay this every month ourselves so that people have this service to use?

I don't think so, and I think that if you ever had to host such a large repository and tried to do something to benefit the community like this, you wouldn't either.
    good post
    i dont see what the problem is
    all i see is a button to donate, so what
    like he said its a donation, not required, like some of the other apps out here
    if they add ads, so what, if its free, why would ads b a problem?
    now that they added depositories this is like the greatest thing ever
    thanks man
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    good post
    i dont see what the problem is
    all i see is a button to donate, so what
    like he said its a donation, not required, like some of the other apps out here
    if they add ads, so what, if its free, why would ads b a problem?
    now that they added depositories this is like the greatest thing ever
    thanks man
    Yeah. Thats pretty expensive, I was never against the donation button, but I always thought it was there as a token for devs hard work, not because of that! Thanks for the heads up!
  4.    #84  
    Wowww, over 2000 downloads now, and over 70gb of transfer bandwith.....word has got out!
    does preupdate need preload to work?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    I don't believe so, you just need it to get the app since it's the only place to get it right now.

Oh and to put my 2 cents in on the discussion I've been using PreLoad since it came out and it's been the best app I've gotten. I'm constantly on it checking out the new stuff and chatting with the guys in the message board. With this last update and the PreUpdate app it's the most complete app out there! Before this thread was posted I had been thinking for the longest why wasn't the app being talked about more in the forums, it seemed like no one knew it existed, and I couldn't wrap my head around as to why? I kept seeing posts in the app thread that demanded the thread to be "Sticky" to no avail. No one in Precentral seemed to be paying much attention to this app. I really don't want to think that Precentral is trying to monopolize with the Filecoaster app (which I also have and use) but that's how it seems and it kinda sucks to see one great app being left in the dark to be discovered by only the ppl that look really hard in these forums.

And that's that!

Love PreLoad and the team and can't w8 for all the updates that we've been talking about in the message board!
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    I don't believe so, you just need it to get the app since it's the only place to get it right now.
    from another PreLoad thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ...an open feed can give the user the ability to install any app from any repository.

Index of /feeds
    So... I dont think you need Preload to get preupdater. This should be the direct, DLable link.

PreUpdater Direct Link

The Open Ideal is definitely the way I would like to see things go!!
    Last edited by superduperpre; 08/16/2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: formatting
    I just installed Preupdater. That is nice. It sees what you have installed and will give you the latest update. I don't have to be constantly checking for updates on Precentral now. I can actually get some work done.
    Thanks for starting this discussion. I did go to the PimpMyPre site to get more information. I think it is a great idea to have different communities and I get your excitment. But I also feel that in order to get the best out of my Pre I need to have the different view points depending on what I'm looking for. I like the filecoaster set up because it was more user friendly for me. Even though I did install PMP I felt that if I didn't go through PreCentral first I would have been so lost. PMP isn't user friendly for the newbies- it appears to be more of an advance site. Just a thought!.
    Nope - it checks the same repository feeds that PreLoad does, but you don't need both apps because we do the feed checking on our server. So, again, PreUpdate uses our bandwidth too, but it was the only way to keep it real time and up to date.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon219 View Post
    Thanks for starting this discussion. I did go to the PimpMyPre site to get more information. I think it is a great idea to have different communities and I get your excitment. But I also feel that in order to get the best out of my Pre I need to have the different view points depending on what I'm looking for. I like the filecoaster set up because it was more user friendly for me. Even though I did install PMP I felt that if I didn't go through PreCentral first I would have been so lost. PMP isn't user friendly for the newbies- it appears to be more of an advance site. Just a thought!.
    PMP's site is not meant to bypass going through PreCentral, if that is what you are thinking? Actually, what I do now is browse through PreCentral's new homebrew mobile apps page, and then download them from PreLoad. You don't have to stick with one thing, use whatever you can to get what you need, and become informed! I have PreLoad, and FileCoaster myself....and I browse PreCentral's new homebrew app page all the time, like I said! I just felt the need to get the word out about PreLoad, that's pretty much the point of this thread Thanks for checking it out!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I've been using Preload since the day it came out. Great app, with many options. Thanks for the great work!

As to donations: I'd much rather have the option to donate what I think something is worth than to be charged a set fee. It's entirely possible that people will donate $20+ out of their largess whereas a set fee would maybe get a couple bucks here or there.

Yes I'll be donating.
    The Marketplace forum is for:

Users buy, sell, and trade their products. Also post specials you have found here.

- Craig
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

Users buy, sell, and trade their products. Also post specials you have found here.

- Craig
    I'm a little confused? This doesn't belong in the Marketplace..?? First I posted it in the Palm Pre forums, and I know that was a mistake, so it got moved to "WebOs Apps...etc," But this...? It's fine that you moved it, I just need some clarification.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

- Craig
    This discussion thread is about 3 homebrewed software programs - why on Earth would you move them to the "Marketplace"?
    Steve
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
    I'm a little confused? This doesn't belong in the Marketplace..?? First I posted it in the Palm Pre forums, and I know that was a mistake, so it got moved to "WebOs Apps...etc," But this...? It's fine that you moved it, I just need some clarification.

Thanks.
    Could it have been moved so as to make it more difficult for people to find it?

I am usually not a conspiracy theorist, but man, this transfer of an entire thread sure does seem fishy to me.
    Steve
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa@smkcpa.com View Post
    Could it have been moved so as to make it more difficult for people to find it?

I am usually not a conspiracy theorist, but man, this transfer of an entire thread sure does seem fishy to me.
    I'm hoping it was just a mistake. Milo's comment didn't really have to do with what is being talked about in the thread, unless there is a pun intended....

I contacted them, we will just have to wait for their response!

Kingjain,

PreCentral offers a Homebrew App Gallery. The sister Crackberry site and others offer ringtones, wallpaper, etc.

You are promoting a site that solicits donations for it's own homebrew app gallery. This needs to be in the Marketplace Forum. Here you will also find promotions for a variety of products similar to those offered by the Smartphone sites.

On any given day we move dozens of threads to their forums. I have no idea how many were moved today.

If you have any other questions, please just PM me.

- Craig
    I downloaded it and The App and I like FileCoaster Much better
    preupdate is the killer app in this thread.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast