View Poll Results: After viewing this thread I am going to....

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • rush and download PreLoad.

    11 8.94%
  • still not download it...too sketchy.

    16 13.01%
  • wait until it is in FileCoaster.

    31 25.20%
  • continue to enjoy PreLoad, which I already have!

    36 29.27%
  • ...go take a dump

    29 23.58%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 125
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
    umm...yes
    you dont even know the program your advertising that well . no, apps from the repository will not be able to be updated via the updater.
  2. #62  
    whoa...i dunno y evry1 is makin sucha big deal out of such small things. So, kingjain likes the app and is sharin the love....i dont giva crap if you don't download it b/c of that. ppl need to loose up, and accept tht there is more than jst the way u see it in ur own i's. precentral is being a **** by not promoting it....so kj is just doin wat they should be doin

    i saw tha thread in the Palm pre forum...bet they moved it here b/c they didn't want as many ppl seein it....i see other app threads in the Palm pre forum all tha time....

    anyways, the Preaload app is the bomb...with the new update, it is BEAST. I can dload tones, and wallpapers, and now there are morapps! bestiz the messaging place...havent used it, but i listen in all da time! useful...

    i commend u kj, keep doin watcha doin! Preload is awsome!
  3. #63  
    honestly, where are these two apps going anyways? I use filecoaster right now, and what they have done is simply amazing for the homebrew community. Same with PreLoad. But when the app catalog comes outta beta, what would be the motivation behind a developer choosing to put it up with filecoaster or Preload instead of the Palm Catalog?? I mean its one or the other right? And if Preload or Filecoaster started charging for apps, I'd imagine palm would not be happy.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4. tamvegas's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #64  
    I imagine the main sticking point for PreLoad not being listed yet in FileCoaster or the HomeBrew catalog is the PayPal adds. PreCentral has stated very clearly that they will not carry any paid for apps in the catalog, only free apps.
    This way there is no potential conflict with the Palm catalog, which will probably start charging for apps fairly soon.
    While there are several app developers that accept donations, none in the HomeBrew catalog have the Paypal ads in their programs.
    Active Home Screen is another app that isn't listed, probably for the same reason.

    As far as the name of the site goes, big deal. It's the name they chose when they first started on it, so why change everything now?

    So we simply have to check the forums where these apps will be found, not just the HomeBrew catalog.
    I for one, browse the forums several times a day.
  5. gonzoy5's Avatar
    Posts
    0 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #65  
    I stopped using it because one of the updates would never complete. Got tired of canelling the update everytime I opened it. Also didn't have as many apps as filecoaster at the time.
  6. smkcpa's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    you dont even know the program your advertising that well . no, apps from the repository will not be able to be updated via the updater.
    If you use PreLoad and follow the message thread on it, you would know that pmpdev1 posted a message tonight stating that they have added full update support to any app in the repository.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
    I imagine the main sticking point for PreLoad not being listed yet in FileCoaster or the HomeBrew catalog is the PayPal adds. PreCentral has stated very clearly that they will not carry any paid for apps in the catalog, only free apps.
    This way there is no potential conflict with the Palm catalog, which will probably start charging for apps fairly soon.
    While there are several app developers that accept donations, none in the HomeBrew catalog have the Paypal ads in their programs.
    Active Home Screen is another app that isn't listed, probably for the same reason.

    As far as the name of the site goes, big deal. It's the name they chose when they first started on it, so why change everything now?

    So we simply have to check the forums where these apps will be found, not just the HomeBrew catalog.
    I for one, browse the forums several times a day.

    Actually, the reason it is not currently in FileCoaster is b/c the PMP dev's haven't got a chance to submit it yet. I believe they will this weekend.

    As for donations, many devs ask for them....so i don't see what the problem is. People have sent in over 60gb of stuff, someone has to pay for it!

    About the name: Exactly.

  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    you dont even know the program your advertising that well . no, apps from the repository will not be able to be updated via the updater.
    what the heck....yes they can!

    I know what I'm saying quite well thank you very much....you may want to check on your own sources!
  9. smkcpa's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzoy5 View Post
    I stopped using it because one of the updates would never complete. Got tired of canelling the update everytime I opened it. Also didn't have as many apps as filecoaster at the time.
    They were having a problem with that particular update being downloaded OTA. They posted a link on their website to download the next version directly, and all of the future updates have downloaded flawlessly.

    In addition, with their new program- PreUpdate, you can automatically update any of your installed apps, including PreLoad, from the updater program.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa@smkcpa.com View Post
    If you use PreLoad and follow the message thread on it, you would know that pmpdev1 posted a message tonight stating that they have added full update support to any app in the repository.
    thank you....i had talked to mitch before I responded to monoko, so I did "know what I was advertising". Thanks for clarifying with mononoko!
    Last edited by kingjain; 08/15/2009 at 10:08 AM.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    honestly, where are these two apps going anyways? I use filecoaster right now, and what they have done is simply amazing for the homebrew community. Same with PreLoad. But when the app catalog comes outta beta, what would be the motivation behind a developer choosing to put it up with filecoaster or Preload instead of the Palm Catalog?? I mean its one or the other right? And if Preload or Filecoaster started charging for apps, I'd imagine palm would not be happy.
    I disagree. It is not one or the other. If you notice, the iPhone has a successful app store, but a very popular installer/cydia as well. Places like this, and filecoaster, as well as preload, should remain free...always. That is why they remain so popular, even with an app store/catalog. They may continue to offer things not available in the catalog, maybe like tethering. We will have to wait and see if it will be allowed, but I highly doubt it. At the most, devs will stop providing updated apps to homebrew app places, so they can make some dough off the catalog....but im sure many will remain loyal to the homebrew community. Both preloader and filecoaster are great starts, and i look forward to seeing both succeed in the future! (alongside the app catalog of course.)
  12. knsnik's Avatar
    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #72  
    Update is very nice. People should give it a try and see what it's like. I think that there is still room for improvement, but that is the case with filecoaster as well. They both are great apps. I
    have them both and use them both. Big thanks to the devs.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    you dont even know the program your advertising that well . no, apps from the repository will not be able to be updated via the updater.
    Yes - I just finished the script and it's live.

    You can update ANY app that's in our repo, or on any default repository feed included in the ap (which covers almost all the homebrew apps).

    Check out PreUpdate and you'll always be current.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
    I understand what you are saying....

    but this is not a business world. It is an informal community, downloaded other people's hard work for free, and I think people need to loosen up.

    I don't mean to seem rude though. I respect what you said, and understand that this is correct in the real world.
    Really? You can't see how someone wouldn't want something that says "Pimp My" sitting there in their launcher? A lot of professionals would be embarrassed by that, and I can't say that I disagree. I don't use either notification changing program, but I wouldn't use Pimp My Sounds just because of the name. While it might be an informal community here, (most?) people don't just sit around and use their Pre while browsing the site but instead use it in that real world that you alluded to.
  15. tamvegas's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #75  
    On the donation thing, guess I was wrong, seemed to make sense at the time I thought of it.
    Thanks huge for mentioning PreUpdate! Just downloaded it and found I had 12 HomeyBrews that needed updating. Thanks again.

    And on the the PimpMyPre thing, congrats on the updates to the website. Looks great! Reminds me of the scheme for the Italian Job movie opening.
    Very good taste. And the pimp hat for an accent mark is a nice touch.

    Just remember, I'm sure there were "standing in icy water" jokes about MicroSoft when they first told friends the name.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really? You can't see how someone wouldn't want something that says "Pimp My" sitting there in their launcher? A lot of professionals would be embarrassed by that, and I can't say that I disagree. I don't use either notification changing program, but I wouldn't use Pimp My Sounds just because of the name. While it might be an informal community here, (most?) people don't just sit around and use their Pre while browsing the site but instead use it in that real world that you alluded to.
    Okay, I understand. It's possible that we come from different working environments, and therefore have different perspectives. People around where I work would give it a chuckle at the most, it clearly says "Pimp my Sounds ....maybe not in yours though.

    On the other hand, people seem to feel more oddly about the PMP site itself, which I don't see a reason for you visiting it at work...but there is no sign of "Pimp My...." in either PreLoad or the Updater app. Personally, if anyone has a problem with me having an icon in my launcher that says "Pimp My Sounds"....well thats their problem :P
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluetooth View Post
    i saw tha thread in the Palm pre forum...bet they moved it here b/c they didn't want as many ppl seein it....i see other app threads in the Palm pre forum all tha time....
    Nooo . . . they moved it here because that is where it is supposed to go. Not because they didn't want people to see it. That's one heck of an assumption. Also I think it would prove quite difficult to catch every thread and make sure it's in the right location. I mean come on, the precentral guys are out to get this program??? Really?
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Nooo . . . they moved it here because that is where it is supposed to go. Not because they didn't want people to see it. That's one heck of an assumption. Also I think it would prove quite difficult to catch every thread and make sure it's in the right location. I mean come on, the precentral guys are out to get this program??? Really?
    @bluetooth: it was my fault, i didn't even know there was a webos apps forum...well i never even looked. I always browse the Palm Pre forum, so it was kind of natural for me to post it there...I guess i should have given it a look though
  19. #79  
    Pimp my pre is one of the apps available through this launcher. The actual app is called Preload. You dont have to install pimp my pre if you dont like its name. The pimp my pre app is to add ringtone, alert, and notification customization to the pre. The Preload app is a very nice app. There are alot of ringtones, wallpapers, and alert sounds available through them that would take forever to hunt down anywhere else. And anyone can submit their own files to share with the community as well. Ive been using it since it came out and there has been huge development changes since then. I say give it a try and if you dont like it then delete it. Same as any other app.And unless you are adding any apps to the list, i suggest not knocking the poeple who are trying to, over a simple name.
  20. #80  
    I just wanted to respond to whomever said something about the donation icons.

    You must understand that PreLoad isn't like your normal Aplication. A normal application gets posted somewhere and that server's bandwidth is being used for people to download it. Typically, that's PreCentral or the PreCentral feed through Preware. That is awesome of them to do this.

    Now, PreLoad works off of that concept. You have these apps that you want to download and we streamline the feeds through our server, and we have apps on our server of our own. Everytime you download one it uses bandwidth - our bandwidth actually.

    Whenever you view a list of wallpapers, download a ringtone, preview a sound - that's *more* bandwidth. That doesn't happen when you play a fart sound, find your car, or use googyOS to view the google apps (love those apps guys!!!). The typial app is on your phone and it's being used at no cost to the developer. Even filecoaster uses Precentral's feed, not a server that the developer pays for (as far as I know).

    As of now, people have downloaded and used so much that we have used up 70 GIGS of transfer bandwidth. We are paying out of our own pockets for a dedicated server to handle this load. I don't see why asking for a donation is bad. It's not REQUIRED like some other apps. We have also stated publically, and Rod from Preware will hold us to this forever, that PreLoad is and always will be free. If you have another option for us to pay $160 a month for this app without asking for donations, we'd appreciate it.

    Eventually, yes, we're going to have to put and ad or two on there to get this thing to pay for itself. We use it just as much as everyone else. Does that diminish the app or us in some way? Because we may get to a point where we can't afford to pay this every month ourselves so that people have this service to use?

    I don't think so, and I think that if you ever had to host such a large repository and tried to do something to benefit the community like this, you wouldn't either.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions