View Poll Results: After viewing this thread I am going to....

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • rush and download PreLoad.

11 8.94%
  • still not download it...too sketchy.

16 13.01%
  • wait until it is in FileCoaster.

31 25.20%
  • continue to enjoy PreLoad, which I already have!

36 29.27%
  • ...go take a dump

29 23.58%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Where are they? When I hit 'next' after the first page it states "No Results Found" Do you mean the ones listed in the Shared Community Files? Because that is a hogbog of, um, stuff.
    No! There has been a major update to the app...have you installed the update?

It includes added repos, and the ability to add repos yourself!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have used it successfully, however I feel that it needs to be organized better. I tried doing searches that produced 0 rsults and ended up just browsing through it a few days ago. It took a long time but I did find some neat things. I believe that it has a whole lot of potential with proper organization. It's definitely worth checking out if you like an easy option for wallpaper and ringtones. It only had 7 apps when I last used so I will have to check out the changes. Thanks!
    I think you are trying way too hard to promote it. If you would have had a post telling people to give it a try because you thought it was as good or better than file coaster, you probably would have had more of a conversation on the matter.

As it is, you channeled Billy Mays for your original post and I felt like I was listening to an infomercial that was shoveling more BS than I could handle. It's going to come across as "sketchy" when you do that. It also makes it hard to believe you have nothing to do with the people making it. You've posted about 20 times in this thread and that's way more interest than any uninvolved person would show.
    if you download an application from one of the repositories, will it be able to be updated by PreUpdater?

Edit: no
    Last edited by Mononoko; 08/14/2009 at 05:43 PM.
    I prefer Filecoaster has the same capability, No Need for Preload or Pimp My Sounds
    MyNotification
    &
    Filecoaster are solid Apps that perform well and ARE SUPPORTED by Precentral and looks like palm will adopt these.
    I agree. The OP may be totally ligit and the app may rock but the hard sell cheerleader type of stuff turns people off fast.

Tone it down; if you had said, "Hey, here is a cool app that does XYZ. Try it out and help us make it better" I would have already of DLed it and been using it.

That said, I think I will wait for a time and see how the forum feedback here and at your site plays out. Also, the lack of activity on the forum on the PMP web site is of concern. If trillions of people just LOVE it where is the love on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by reininop View Post
    I think you are trying way too hard to promote it. If you would have had a post telling people to give it a try because you thought it was as good or better than file coaster, you probably would have had more of a conversation on the matter.

As it is, you channeled Billy Mays for your original post and I felt like I was listening to an infomercial that was shoveling more BS than I could handle. It's going to come across as "sketchy" when you do that. It also makes it hard to believe you have nothing to do with the people making it. You've posted about 20 times in this thread and that's way more interest than any uninvolved person would show.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    lol To those of you who are sketchy, I can assure you that PreLoad is fully legit. There is absolutely nothing to sweat. Actually, not only is it legit, I agree that it might be one of the best apps because between the wallpapers and ringtones and message board (more like a chat room), you can stay busy for a long time no matter where you're stuck.

PreLoad guys -- I don't know what you did wrong. I guess it's because it's not available on filecoaster which is understandable. It puts FC to shame.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Can anyone on PreCentral vouch for this application before I try it?

No offense, but I have never seen a discussion forum where "... everyone talks about how much they love it! ..."

It does sound very cool though.
    I have been using PreLoad and it is a fantastic application. Once you Install it, you never have to use a PC again to download Apps, Ringtones or wallpapers to your Pre.

I found out about PreLoad when I installed PimpMySounds, their first application that allows Pre users to change the Palm alert and notification sounds to something more than just the one sound that Palm thinks you should use.

They now have added their newest offering, PreUpdate, which tell you what version of every app you have on your phone, along with the ability to update to the latest version OTA.

While their website leaves much to be desired, i believe it looks the way it does because the PMP developers are spending all of their time making their PreLoad, PimpMySounds and PreUpdate software state of the art.

With the community chat that they have on the PreLoad application, we users have very little need to go to their website. We do all of out chatting, as well as updating our software, ringtones and wallpapers directly from our Pre, just the way Palm intended, but still hasn't put into action.

In my opinion, if all of the developers out there would distribute their apps through PreLoad, I will have no reason to ever visit the Palm App Store (if Palm ever gets it filled with anything)

If you install PreLoad, you will not be disappointed!!!
    Well, I downloaded both of them when they first hit here and after using them both extensively I ended up deleting Preload and now use Filecoaster exclusively.

For my particular needs, it works out better: I use the mobile app cat for searching and dipping into the PreCen forums, so even with Filecoaster I almost always DL the url, not go to the FC app catalog.

I also am not big into 1000's of ringtones and wallpapers, especially as many of the wallpapers seemed to have commercial watermarks on them (ugh). Perhaps they have all watermark free wallpapers now?

So, for a simple dowload and install program for url based acquisition, the clean and simple Filecoaster wins hands down for me. Not gimmicky and not intrusive interface. And when we talk about "content" versus appearance, I'd argue that the content of FC is top notch: It does what it says very well.

To be fair, I haven't tried Preload in a couple of weeks... the interface, images/rintones etc might have improved. If you are looking for a one-stop app shop/images/ringtones/message community, then by all means try out Preload and see what you think. The app was completely safe when I tried it, I just ended up not likeing it relative to Filecoaster.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    if you download an application from one of the repositories, will it be able to be updated by PreUpdater?

Edit: no
    umm...yes
    Palm has an app store??

Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa@smkcpa.com View Post
    I will have no reason to ever visit the Palm App Store
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by reininop View Post

cool, i love billy mays.

and no, i am not part of PMP.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I prefer Filecoaster has the same capability, No Need for Preload or Pimp My Sounds
    MyNotification
    &
    Filecoaster are solid Apps that perform well and ARE SUPPORTED by Precentral and looks like palm will adopt these.
    they use the same apps....first, know what you are talking about.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Well, I downloaded both of them when they first hit here and after using them both extensively I ended up deleting Preload and now use Filecoaster exclusively.

For my particular needs, it works out better: I use the mobile app cat for searching and dipping into the PreCen forums, so even with Filecoaster I almost always DL the url, not go to the FC app catalog.

I also am not big into 1000's of ringtones and wallpapers, especially as many of the wallpapers seemed to have commercial watermarks on them (ugh). Perhaps they have all watermark free wallpapers now?

So, for a simple dowload and install program for url based acquisition, the clean and simple Filecoaster wins hands down for me. Not gimmicky and not intrusive interface. And when we talk about "content" versus appearance, I'd argue that the content of FC is top notch: It does what it says very well.

To be fair, I haven't tried Preload in a couple of weeks... the interface, images/rintones etc might have improved. If you are looking for a one-stop app shop/images/ringtones/message community, then by all means try out Preload and see what you think. The app was completely safe when I tried it, I just ended up not likeing it relative to Filecoaster.
    FileCoaster is cool too. I use both! The update on PreLoad is very significant, you might want to check it out!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    I agree. The OP may be totally ligit and the app may rock but the hard sell cheerleader type of stuff turns people off fast.

Tone it down; if you had said, "Hey, here is a cool app that does XYZ. Try it out and help us make it better" I would have already of DLed it and been using it.

That said, I think I will wait for a time and see how the forum feedback here and at your site plays out. Also, the lack of activity on the forum on the PMP web site is of concern. If trillions of people just LOVE it where is the love on the forum?
    There site will be updated. This app is not being promoted at all by PreCentral, because they are teamed up with the devs of FileCoaster. That is why I, someone from the community, is trying to "cheer" it up myself.

Sorry if I turned anyone off, I just think it deserves more attention than is being given to it by PreCentral. Don't you think an app with this many new features should be a sticky? I am just promoting it for what it deserves, I am not trying to be an unwanted cheerleader. If the mods didn't move this thread out of the Palm Pre forum, I'm sure it would have recieved way more attention. After all, within the first 10 mins that I posted it, over a page was filled with comments....
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Once it finds its way onto Precentrals homebrew list I think its going to gain a LOT of popularity, especially with the newest updates right around the corner. In my opinion its much more robust than filecoaster. If you haven't used it, go give it a shot. Yes, the website is a bit...unpolished, but the app is great
    checking it out now.
    Any way to add picture icons to your apps to "dress them up" a bit. I think this is what makes filecoaster so cool. It looks very professional.

Your app is great, however... I just think the browsing experience could be tweaked a bit.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcross22 View Post
    Once it finds its way onto Precentrals homebrew list I think its going to gain a LOT of popularity, especially with the newest updates right around the corner. In my opinion its much more robust than filecoaster. If you haven't used it, go give it a shot. Yes, the website is a bit...unpolished, but the app is great
    I think so too. Once it hits filecoaster, it will flourish. People are seeing it as a bit sketchy right now, i guess it is because of the site. (I believe they will be working on that too!)
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    Any way to add picture icons to your apps to "dress them up" a bit. I think this is what makes filecoaster so cool. It looks very professional.

Your app is great, however... I just think the browsing experience could be tweaked a bit.
    I will ask the devs. It sounds like it will be possible, because the wallpapers have previews, so I don't see why apps can't!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast