Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After two exhaustive calls with HS today, I was informed by a supervisor that the company will not sell any Visorphone related product to Canadians.

This includes the VP, all cases, headsets, or anything that is connected to the VP.

mc
    Did they say why?
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Did they say why?
    well, let's just say they danced around the "why" part. it made no sense to me. something about Fido (a gsm carrier here in Canada) not coming to a service agreement with them.

they said that yes, the phone will work here no problem. but no, they won't sell it to me.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    they said that yes, the phone will work here no problem. but no, they won't sell it to me.
    Buy it w/o a service agreement. Go into a fido store, make nice with the rep, have them activate the phone. if they can't/won't activate the vphone, then (since you made nice with the rep), have them activate the other phone and switch the SIM card with the vphone.

Voila.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Buy it w/o a service agreement. Go into a fido store, make nice with the rep, have them activate the phone. if they can't/won't activate the vphone, then (since you made nice with the rep), have them activate the other phone and switch the SIM card with the vphone.

Voila.
    you don't understand. handspring will not sell me the phone under any circumstances. they will not even sell me a visorphone case. i was trying to purchase it without service agreement.

they are unwilling to ship any VP related products to Canada.

fido has already told me that the visorphone would work on their network no problem and that they would have no issues with me using it. it is handspring who is refusing to do business with canadians, not fido.

mc
    Haven't you heard? U.S. President Bush included Canada in the list of businesses whose assets must be frozen. They are obviously in cahoots with the terrorists. So Handspring isn't allowed to do business with anyone in Canada.

I'm totally making that up, by the way. I'm an avid Bush supporter (yeah, that's right, his approval level is around 93%!!!, deal with it).

Just thought I'd add a little humor to this sad misfortune.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    There may not be communications approval for the device in Canada. It is not uncommon that certain communication products are not available on a WW basis. I don't think you got to the root of the reason why it is not possible to purchase in Canada.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    There may not be communications approval for the device in Canada. It is not uncommon that certain communication products are not available on a WW basis. I don't think you got to the root of the reason why it is not possible to purchase in Canada.
    i don't think that's the reason.

1. they didn't mention any such thing (i talked to 2 sales reps and one supervisor by phone and one supervisor via email).

2. they didn't seem to have a prob selling the device to canadians before the recent price drop. there are a few canadians on VC who bought and use them no problem.

3. the supervisor on the phone specifically mentioned Fido.

the impression i got was that they were entering into a service agreement with fido and something went awry and now they have a legal problem selling here. i realize this is vague, but it's the understanding i got from my conversations.

i must admit i find it absolutely baffling that they won't even ship a visorphone case to me. this pretty much rules out the visorphone itself as being the problem.

mc
    Buy one on e-Bay and be done with this.
  10.    #10  
    Buy one on e-Bay and be done with this.

yeah, i'm scooting around on there and will probably go that route. however, they were all up around the same price as from handspring which is why i tried them first. i also thought that if i didn't buy from handspring itself i wouldn't be eligible for whatever trade-up they'll offer for the treo. however, i'm getting so sick of their nonsense as of late, i doubt my next pda will be from HS anyway...

mc
    Ahh.. but Mr. Chicken... Visorphone has never shipped directly to Canada. We've resorted to the workarounds to get the goods. george is barking up the right tree.. or at least in the right neck of the woods.

Rogers GSM is coming too, but the entire company needs to get it's act together. I can only support their ball team at this point.
    I imagine the official announcement will happen any hour now.

I don't know about you but I'm not big on the fact that Fido charges additional airtime minutes rate when you slide out of digital into analog . I'll stick with CDMA and the more convenient plans in the meantime, and 'consider' the Airprime that is supposed to be coming.

.. and on a related note albeit effective to remember the manufacturer/service.. I'm sick of the zeeerrrro dollllars commercial.. ugh.

Life's a Fido!
    "The Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel Borstin
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by mrknowitall
    Ahh.. but Mr. Chicken... Visorphone has never shipped directly to Canada. We've resorted to the workarounds to get the goods. george is barking up the right tree.. or at least in the right neck of the woods.
    i wasn't aware of this. i assumed that the canadians on the board who posted their experiences had just ordered via handspring and paid the outrageous price.

Rogers GSM is coming too, but the entire company needs to get it's act together. I can only support their ball team at this point.
    I imagine the official announcement will happen any hour now.
    yes, there are a few links on handspring's site regarding rogers/att. hopefully something will be announced soon.

perhaps the prob is that handspring is setting up a deal with rogers and has agreed not to sell here until the deal goes thru. that way people can't buy it in the meantime and sign up with fido.

.. and on a related note albeit effective to remember the manufacturer/service.. I'm sick of the zeeerrrro dollllars commercial.. ugh.
    i don't watch tv so haven't a clue what you're talking about here. ha.

mc
    mensachicken - I understand your desire to be able use the "trade in" option. But heck, how much trade in will they give you for a $100 device, maybe $50. Buy one on e-Bay for $90, use the heck out of it. If and when you are bored of it and move to the treo, sell it for $50 on eBay. From previous posts, they may be difficult to come by if they have stopped production. Paint your own world here.
    Do you have someone here in the States who could ship it to you?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Looks like HandSpring now sells the VisorPhone on eBay. There ad indicates they ship to Canada. Please see eBay example here.
  16.    #16  
    Looks like HandSpring now sells the VisorPhone on eBay. There ad indicates they ship to Canada. Please see eBay example here.
    yeah, they don't though. i've already dealt with their ebay reps. she promised she could ship to canada and i "buy now"ed one of the phones and all she does is send me to the HS page to enter my cc info when i'd already told her that wouldn't work.

she told me to just enter "canada" in the city line (after my city) and that it would be fine. i didn't trust her and didn't bother. 10 minutes later she emailed me and told me she was mistaken and could not ship to canada.

Originally posted by ****-richardson

Do you have someone here in the States who could ship it to you?
    yes and no. i have friends there but it seems like such a pain in the **** and the extra shipping, etc etc. i know it's probably not that big of a deal. still, i probably just go the ebay route and find someone there that'll ship to me.

mc
    In the auction details, it has a note:
    Important-Canadian Customers: VisorPhone currently available only in U.S.
    Anyway... Will the VisorPhone wireless Internet capabilities also work on the Fido network? Can I just pop in my sim and browse away? If not, what else would be required -- an account with an ISP?
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Rehan
    yeah, she only added that after dealing with me. initially she wrote "sure, i can send to canada no problem" and then after it was "oh, i'm mistaken. sorry. we can't ship to canada. gonna change the ebay page."

ugh.

mc
    Reminds me a bit of an old post of mine.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Originally posted by Rehan

Anyway... Will the VisorPhone wireless Internet capabilities also work on the Fido network? Can I just pop in my sim and browse away? If not, what else would be required -- an account with an ISP?
    Rehan you would need a dialup ISP and FIDo Data ($5/mo) to surf and connect to the net.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast