1.    #1  
    The Prism is my first Handspring and this recent experience is causing me to look seriously at other Palm devices:

I sent this to Handspring today:

I am being HARASSED by your company and I am planning to take
    this to the Attorney General and BBB for resolution.

A couple of weeks ago, I called about an 8 MB Module under warranty
    having problems. They agreed to replace it.

A week later I received a call from FedEX requested an address
    correction. Handspring sent the order to Inglewood Californial
    because they wrote the zip code incorrectly. I gave them the correct
    zip code. I don't understand how the zip code could have been
    confused since I BOUGHT THE ITEM DIRECTLY FROM HANDSPRING and
    your database should be correct. An hour later I got a second
    call from FedEX and I told them the same thing and wondered how
    they could not understand what I first told them.

I received the order on 7/3.

Saturday, 7/7/01, I receive a call from a woman reporting to be from
    Handspring about a duplicate module that was shipped to me. I told
    them the above and suggested they contact FedEX because the
    second order might still be in California! She asked me to contact
    them if I receive the second order. I told them I that I would but I
    wouldn't be waiting around the house for the delivery. If it comes,
    I will leave permission for them to leave it without a signature. She
    agreed to that.

Less than 1 hour ago, Sunday, 7/8/01, I received ANOTHER call from
    Handspring with the same request as they made yesterday. I asked
    why am I being called everyday on the same thing. She said that I
    will be called until they get the second order returned.

I told them that it is harassment and I will contact the Attorney General
    to complain if this continues. (Heck, it is Sunday! They could have at
    least waited until Monday!) She said -- "go ahead". I hung up.

This is ridiculous and I want to see that someone looks into this and
    sends me a letter of apology. I do not want a form letter either.
    If your company double shipped, that is YOUR problem, not mine.
    You have no right to harass me this way. By law, I don't have to
    return it but I was good enough to agree to it on Saturday. You
    should at least have the courtesy to respect that at not harass
    me on a Sunday afternoon!

If you think this note is limited to you, think again.

Last edited by Beryl; 07/08/2001 at 01:51 PM.
    Stuff like this makes me sick. Why can't companies understand that customers are important and that they should accomodate them?

They shipped you two modules. That's their fault. They should contact you once and ask you to return it. If you don't, well that's their problem and they should leave you alone.

Good luck with them.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Do Mail laws apply to FedEx? What I mean is - do the same things that the mail has, whatever you get through the mail is yours - apply to Fedex?

I'm sorry to hear abotu your experience. That appears to be the worst one i've heard in a long long time. I wish you good luck!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    i don't understand why you would leave fedex a note saying to leave it without a sig. why don't you just leave a note saying you don't want it. and, if you're there when it comes, refuse to sign for it. won't fedex just ship it back then?

mc
    Yea...for future reference, you can formally 'refuse' the package and they will ship it back for you.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by Beryl
    She said that I will be called until they get the second order returned.
    Sounds like someone in customer service with a god complex.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that if anyone -- a company or an individual -- sends you something you did not request, regardless of the delivery method, you're under no obligation to return it, keep it, or to pay for it (if a bill is sent) unless they contact you about it. Ergo, in this situation, since they contacted you about the mistaken second shipment, you will be expected to return it, and the easiest way to do that is (as Homer & mensachicken say) just refuse delivery. if you're not home when FedEx drops by, they'll leave you a note about it, and you can either call them or respond to the note "refused delivery."
    However, I'm pretty sure the company is only allowed to contact you once, so you're in the right. (I'm sure you know that, just offering my reassurance.)
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    why don't you just leave a note saying you don't want it. and, if you're there when it comes, refuse to sign for it. won't fedex just ship it back then?
    Good idea. I hadn't thought of that and it is EXACTLY what I plan to do so that I don't have to think about it anymore. Thanks!

Since it is FedEX that they are using, you'd think they'd be able to track the shipment, handle it, and leave me alone! I do not want them calling me every single day.
    From my experience w HS I can tell that as long as it is a standard problem, they have good procedures in place. However, anything that deviates just a little, they can not handle it anymore. Customer service (call center, I believe it is in UT and Asia) is not trained for that. That happens if you outsource customer service. I believe Compaq (or HP) learned their lesson the hard way and stopped doing that. It does not pay on the long run.
    They don't outsource their custemor service as far as I know. Custemor support is based in New York. The Repair center is in Tennese(sp), and their headquarters are in California. I figured all this out, by my expericen with cus. support.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I understand your position, who would want to be getting call after call after call, but at the same time lets not go over board just because of a mistake. Every time I've had a problem they have always been willing to help out. Not always to my advantage but I understand(most of the time).
    Some years ago I formally requested the discontinuation of a series of books from Time-Life. When they continued to ship - and to bill me,- I wrote a very simple note, stating that the law allows me to retain, withoout charge, any products sent to me after I have notified the company in question in writing. Guess what: no more books!

L.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal!
    I understand your position, who would want to be getting call after call after call, but at the same time lets not go over board just because of a mistake.
    Beryl has a legitimate right to be upset with Handspring. This type of behavior is intollerable. Maybe it is just the work of one rogue tech support person, but that one person represents all of Handspring, so ultimately, Handspring is responsible for taking care of the situation.
    -David Byrne
  13.    #13  
    Handspring sent a reply and it doesn't appear to be a form letter:

Thank you for sending your complaint to us. We take customer concerns
    seriously and appreciate the time you have spent sending us your email.

Let us first apologize for the ill treatment you received from our Customer
    Service representative, who, at the very least, should have been more polite
    about the matter. Also, our sincere apologies for the continuing calls
    concerning a misplacement of product that was in no way your fault. It
    should have been logged the first time, but it looks like someone wasn't
    doing their job right.

In the meantime, I hope our product is working well for you, and that it
    continues to do so. We really do try to please our customers. If you have
    further concerns or comments, please feel free to contact us via email or
    call Customer Care at 1-888-565-9393.
    Sounds pretty professional. They admitted they (or, at least, the employee) were wrong and apologized. Nice job Handspring.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    and apologized
    And often, that's all that is needed to keep a customer happy.

I wish more companies would take that lead.
    -David Byrne
    Once again Handspring, thank you for being real people and not being a customer senseless company, two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!