1.    #1  
    I was prepared an hour ago to write and say how great my HS customer service experience had been. Over the past few days, I've noticed that I have to position my one-month-old VPL exactly the right way in the cradle for it to sync properly. To be specific, I have to push down on the bottom of the VPL as if to give it better contact with the cradle. I made sure the contacts on both the VPL and the cradle were clean and undamaged, and all appeared fine. So I called HS yesterday and asked if I could get a replacement cradle. The tech only made me jump through a couple of hoops (is everything clean, appear to be in good working order, Visor seated properly), and then he very politely gave me an RMA and ordered me a new cradle. It showed up within 24 hours. I was prepared to rave about the speedy, courteous service.

However, even with the new cradle, I still have the same problem. So I'm beginning to think it's more of problem with the VPL than with the cradle. I call tech support again, and this time have to jump through far more hoops. Verify hotsync manager settings. Delete a registry key. Unplug the cradle from my PC and reinstall it. The entire time, I keep telling the tech "it works fine if I position the Visor in exactly the right spot, otherwise it doesn't do anything." After reinstalling the cradle in Windows and still not working correctly, he informs me that I should call my PC vendor, because my USB port must have failed. For at least the fourth time, I tell him that if I push down on the Visor in the cradle, it'll work fine, and it does. Then he has me check the pins on the VPL and cradle. Then he decides he's not sure if the problem is with the cradle or the Visor, even though I told him I'm using the cradle that arrived today. He puts me on hold for a few minutes to check with his product manager. He comes back and tells me that the "solution" is to keep using the VPL as-is. If the problem persists for a couple of weeks, call back and refer to the case number and ask for a replacement Visor.

Obviously this is a non-solution, provided by a tech who wasted 15 minutes of both of our time before understanding the problem. It's unfortunate that he decided he didn't need to listen to the customer in the first place. It's also too bad I didn't get his name.

As for the VPL, if the problem persists over the weekend, I'll be requesting that replacement Visor on Monday, and insisting that it be a new, non-refurbished unit.

Jeff
    I hope the replacement works. I don't know what you did that it would be the platinum that is causing the problem.
    You must have dropped it. If you knew this to be a non-technical problem, why didn't you call customer service? You wanted him to help you with the new cradle. Correct?
    It wasn't the tech that wasted your time.
    "The Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel Borstin
  3.    #3  
    The unit hasn't been dropped. I don't know what the problem would be either, but replacing the cradle obviously didn't fix it. Do I know for sure that it's the VPL? No. But my three options are to: a) live with it, b) replace the cradle, or c) replace the VPL. I'm not going to just live with it, and I've already replaced the cradle once, so I'm trying a VPL replacement.

I did call customer service first, I just didn't include that in my first post. All they told me was that they couldn't help and that I needed to call tech support.

The tech absolutely wasted my time by not listening to what I told him. Had he done so, he wouldn't have suggested that the problem was my computer's USB port when I can force it to work if I hold the VPL in the proper position in the cradle. The problem is obviously related the contact (not) being made between the VPL and the cradle. He also wasted my time by telling me that the "solution" was to live with the problem for another couple of weeks and then call back. That's not a solution.
    I'll admit, I've had to hold down my Visor on the cradle sometimes in order for it to HotSync. I find that the connection works better when there's less running on the machine itself. That means closing down any programs that use up a lot of resources don't help the connection. Sometimes I've had cases where the thing wouldn't sync at all, so I unplug it from my USB hub and reconnect it again, it'll autodetect, sometimes, or I'll have to restart my computer in order for it to be recognized. After that, it usually works fine for me, just make sure those pins are clean and they make good contact with the cradle. Before you believe it's the USB ports, try using another USB device in the port to see if that works, if it does, it's probably not the port. Best of luck.
    Web Site Doctor
    websitedoctor@hotmail.com
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by websitedoctor
    I'll admit, I've had to hold down my Visor on the cradle sometimes in order for it to HotSync. I find that the connection works better when there's less running on the machine itself. That means closing down any programs that use up a lot of resources don't help the connection. Sometimes I've had cases where the thing wouldn't sync at all, so I unplug it from my USB hub and reconnect it again, it'll autodetect, sometimes, or I'll have to restart my computer in order for it to be recognized. After that, it usually works fine for me, just make sure those pins are clean and they make good contact with the cradle. Before you believe it's the USB ports, try using another USB device in the port to see if that works, if it does, it's probably not the port. Best of luck.
    Unfortunately, the problem persists regardless of what I'm running on the PC. I've checked the USB port with other devices, and it works fine. I've also tried reassigning the cradle button to launch an application other than HotSync and still no good unless I hold the Visor in the right place. So I'm back to being fairly certain there's a problem with the contacts on either the cradle or the Visor. Thanks though
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    I was prepared an hour ago to write and say how great my HS customer service experience had been. Over the past few days, I've noticed that I have to position my one-month-old VPL exactly the right way in the cradle for it to sync properly. To be specific, I have to push down on the bottom of the VPL as if to give it better contact with the cradle. I made sure the contacts on both the VPL and the cradle were clean and undamaged, and all appeared fine. So I called HS yesterday and asked if I could get a replacement cradle. The tech only made me jump through a couple of hoops (is everything clean, appear to be in good working order, Visor seated properly), and then he very politely gave me an RMA and ordered me a new cradle. It showed up within 24 hours. I was prepared to rave about the speedy, courteous service.{...}
    Good thing you didn't, I suppose. But seriously...IMO, Handspring's service is about on par with most manufacturers. Not really any better or worse, IME. The only times I dealt with them were for the DRAM bug on my Ice VDx and for a button problem on my wife's Blue VDx. I'm getting ready to call them again soon, though regarding some cracks that have appeared on my case since I started using the slim Visor case. Historically they've been par for the course with most manufacturers. Depending on the issue, you may have to push them to get what you want, but they'll generally leave the majority of customers satisfied. Of course, there are always going to be people that will never be pleased.

As for the VPL, if the problem persists over the weekend, I'll be requesting that replacement Visor on Monday, and insisting that it be a new, non-refurbished unit.
    If you're still within the original 30-day period, this should be no problem. If you're out of it, chances are slim. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the two replacements I've received were refurbs, but there was really no way to tell.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Good thing you didn't, I suppose. But seriously...IMO, Handspring's service is about on par with most manufacturers. Not really any better or worse, IME. The only times I dealt with them were for the DRAM bug on my Ice VDx and for a button problem on my wife's Blue VDx. I'm getting ready to call them again soon, though regarding some cracks that have appeared on my case since I started using the slim Visor case. Historically they've been par for the course with most manufacturers. Depending on the issue, you may have to push them to get what you want, but they'll generally leave the majority of customers satisfied. Of course, there are always going to be people that will never be pleased.
    Well, I'll be pleased as long as I can once again sync without having to manually hold the Visor in the proper position the entire time. I'd prefer to get techs/CSRs that are friendly and knowledgeable, but as you correctly pointed out, HS is probably at the same level as most other companies: there are bound to be a few bad reps, a few good ones, and a bunch in the middle. I just managed to hit both ends of the spectrum within 24 hours

If you're still within the original 30-day period, this should be no problem. If you're out of it, chances are slim. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the two replacements I've received were refurbs, but there was really no way to tell.
    I thought I'd read here somewhere that a blue dot next to the serial number or something like that is believed to indicate a refurb. I'll have to search the discussions at some point. In the meantime, I ordered a replacement VPL. Unfortunately, I'm just outside the 30-day window (purchased 1/10, first called 2/15), but the CSR I spoke to said that she would note that I requested a new unit instead of a refurb. Of course, I have no idea if she made such a note, or what effect it'll have if she did, but hopefully I'll have another VPL in a few days.
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    I thought I'd read here somewhere that a blue dot next to the serial number or something like that is believed to indicate a refurb.
    Key word there being "believed". There was no conclusive proof of the meaning of the blue dot or the red dot, IIRC.

{...} the CSR I spoke to said that she would note that I requested a new unit instead of a refurb. Of course, I have no idea if she made such a note, or what effect it'll have if she did, but hopefully I'll have another VPL in a few days.
    Well, I'd be reasonably sure that she made the note, but I'm not sure what (if any) good it'd do. Good luck.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...