Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have them ready to ship. If you would like to look
    at them, I've put up a website at:

http://www.cables4pdas.com

It has some pics and details of the cables I am
    offering. I am also offering Visor USB hotsync cables for $13.95 for a 3ft cable and longer cables are available on request.
    I just rediscovered the RS232-Cellphone thread last night - last time I looked it was only three pages or so! Anyway, I got pretty excited reading about the relative simplicity of connecting a StarTAC with a Visor, especially now that ready-made cables are available!

I'm a Verizon subscriber, so I stopped by a Verizon store in Sherman Oaks, CA today to price StarTAC/Timeport phones... The StarTACs all cost at least $299, but I found out that as an existing customer I would be able to get a rebate on a new phone, bringing the ST7868 down to about $176!

So, now with NYSEBull's $30 data cable + $176 phone I can get:

Wireless internet on my Visor *and* springboard slot still available (No killer app for this comes to mind, but I'll bet someone will think of something.)
    A new, much smaller cell phone (smaller than my quaint Samsung SCH211) that works when NOT in the springboard slot
    If I read the RS232 thread correctly, I won't even have to pay Verizon an extra $6 per month for data service
    No $40/month for wireless service as with Omnisky/YadaYada; the minutes just come out of my cell plan

Total cost is still almost $100 less than VisorPhone with activation or Omnisky/YadaYada Minstrel S without a 6 month contract... and while I'll probably find myself upgrading to a plan with more minutes, it's definitely not going to cost me $40 additional per month! The only things lacking is the appeal of "always on" wireless and the ability to use my Stowaway while surfing, but since I work on a computer all day that would be largely wasted anyway. I can always write my e-mails offline - less airtime wasted, too.

YMMV depending on your location/cell provider, but it's definitely worth looking into an upgrade if you're thinking about wireless web via cellphone!
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright
    Originally posted by Usonian
    Wireless internet on my Visor *and* springboard slot still available . . .
    A new, much smaller cell phone . . .
    . . . won't even have to pay Verizon an extra $6 per month for data service . . .
    No $40/month for wireless service as with Omnisky/YadaYada
    So my SoundsGood stays in the Springboard port while I surf the web. All in all a better solution than the Visorphone in my opinion. I can't wait until mine arrives from nysebull!

Handspring's loss for supplying us with such a paltry Visorphone availability market.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Usonian

I'm a Verizon subscriber, so I stopped by a Verizon store in Sherman Oaks, CA today to price StarTAC/Timeport phones... The StarTACs all cost at least $299, but I found out that as an existing customer I would be able to get a rebate on a new phone, bringing the ST7868 down to about $176!
    Well, I just got a Timeport from Verizon for only $250 (motorola gives a MSRP of 400- 450 for it I think, the one with the color screen), and you can buy the StarTac for only 99 from Sprint, and 176 from Verizon. It sounds to me like Verizon is giving you some steep prices.

BEN
    Well, it probably depends on whether you're a first-time subscriber or upgrading, where in the country you are, current promotions, etc. The StarTAC is cheaper with Verizon for new customers than existing ones, and I think cheaper still if you sign up through their website.

I don't have much of a choice, unless I want to wait another 5 months until my contract expires or pay Verizon the early termination fee. Might be cheaper if I wait, but compared to buying a Minstrel or Visorphone I feel comfortable paying that much... besides, I've gotten a real bug up my a** for wireless since I started playing with PQA's last week.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Usonian, have you tried Ebay? There are a couple of ST7868W's for sale on it for less than the $176. It might be worth a look.
    This looks great! I'm still a bit confused, though, is to what I actually need to do to use my startac for internet access. What software on my Visor, do I need? Is my Sprint PCS already set up to act as data service? Do I dial in to my own ISP? Do I need a different ISP?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You will need a browser, something like Bluelark's Blazer, you would need an email app or Proxiweb's Proximail to read email. The connectivity software is built into your Visor (see the How To section of http://www.cables4pdas.com for setup details). If you are using SprintPCS, you need Wireless Web setup or you pay $.39/min (as per their website). You can use your ISP or you can use Sprint's QNC (again see How To for details).
    I received my "NYSEBULL Visor-StarTac Cable" today in the mail. From open-the-box to log-onto-email was about 1 minute 30 seconds (including modem negotiation! ) from when the box hit my hands. In other words, works as advertised!

The cable itself (18 inches, per my request - pretty much any custom size you may want) is very sturdy feeling, and there are stress-relief/anti-crimping extensions at each end by the connectors. Very professional.

Thanks NYSEBULL for the great product and service. I think the bar just got seriously raised on Visorphone with this setup.

Kupe
    Originally posted by nysebull
    Usonian, have you tried Ebay? There are a couple of ST7868W's for sale on it for less than the $176. It might be worth a look.
    I saw those, then I searched 'completed auctions' for ST7868W's and saw that most of them close for $200+.

I called Verizon to find out if there's any 'online discount' (even though they don't provide a way to upgrade your phone online, I figured it would be worth a try), and the price they gave me over the phone was $149... I guess you pay the extra $27 at the store for the privilege of having somebody try to sell you on the next model up in person.

My cables4pdas Visor/Motorola cable arrived today, having been shipped on Tuesday - just like a previous post says, it's well-made and sturdy, and getting online couldn't be much simpler!

I impressed the heck out of the Verizon sales rep when I upgraded to my new StarTAC this evening There was a moment of panic when I had my Prism hooked up to her demo phone and couldn't get it to connect, then I remembered to turn handshaking off... with that done I was online in a matter of seconds. Awesome!

As for the price of the phone, it turns out the in-store upgrade price was $149 as well, but the sales tax was assessed using the full retail cost of the phone - that's what pushed the price up to $176. (It's easy to overlook that 8% L.A. County sales tax on small purchases, but when you buy something major it's a real kick in the n*ts. I sure miss living in New Hampshire. )

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a good word for nysebull's product and quick turn-around. I'm not affilated with http://cables4pdas.com in any way, etc. etc... just psyched to be wireless with so little hassle!
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright
    So is this blurb from the 'How To' page saying that any ISP, including AOL (which I use) can be used in the phone/cable setup:

"In Network settings, add a new service(name it what ever you want) and use your ISP user ID and password. Don't forget to tap details and enter the DNS info (if your ISP needs this info)."

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'll fix the page as I don't beleive AOL will work. AOL can only be connected to if you use their dialup adapter that gets loaded when you load their program. ANY ISP that uses a standard PPP connection (AOL is proprietary) should work though, i.e. Mindspring, MSN, Prodigy, Earthlink, most local ISP's, etc. Compuserve also fits in the AOL category of not being able to be used. Card Access' ThinModem also has this limitation. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

[Edited by nysebull on 01-22-2001 at 01:41 PM]
    If you have a StarTac and a Visor and are looking for a wireless solution this is it! Nysebull has put together a great product. I had a little difficulty getting on-line initially but that was because I had my script settings set incorrectly which was my fault. Nysebull was extreamly receptive to my e-mails with questions and responded very quickly each time.

I'm now running around with cheap nationwide wireless internet access for my visor. I'm using sprint and am very happy.

I just wanted to let everyone know how great these cables are and encourage everyone who is sitting on the fence to hurry up a buy one you won't be dissapointed. I know I haven't been.

-David Hasselbacher
    Originally posted by David Hasselbacher
    I just wanted to let everyone know how great these cables are and encourage everyone who is sitting on the fence to hurry up a buy one you won't be dissapointed. I know I haven't been.

-David Hasselbacher
    Ditto! I got mine a few days ago and have been racking up wireless web minutes since then. Great alternative to pricey modules and monthly fees exceeding $39/mo.

BTW David, give us the real scoop on those Baywatch babes!
    I got my cable in the mail wednesday.. I was up and running in a few minutes.. I just want to say that wireless is real nice.. im not sure I have aneed for it and now I need to get some PQAs and other wireless stuff to run on my Visor Deluxe... ill prob have to call sprint and get more minutes now...

oh well

lou
    I just got mine in the mail the other day. I was up on the Internet in under two minutes (Using Sprints QNC!). If anyone plans on buying a Springboard modem and 1.) has a StarTac and 2.) uses Sprint or Verizon, save your money and buy a $30 cable. They work awesome!
    I have some basic questions on this solution if some of you with experience would share. Aside from advantages or disadvantages of having two devices I am interested in the following.

How much is the typical cost for the Star Tac?
    How much is this data cable?
    Can you use SMS functionality?
    What about SMS E-Mail or SMS Messaging without being "dialed in"? (like the VisorPhone Supports)
    Which carriers are you using and technology, CDMA, TDMA etc?
    What are the monthly minutes for plan under $40 per month?
    What connection speeds are you acheiving with this solution?
    Can you exchange address information between the Visor and the phone?

Sorry for all of the questions, but would be VERY interested in learning more about this solution.

[Edited by george_vc on 02-11-2001 at 10:53 AM]
    I highly recommend cables4pdas. My questions were answered promptly and once I placed my order, delivery was quick. Cable works great once I fixed my typos.