Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1.    #1  
    The long wait is over #LuneOS and #webOS fans! We’re back with a new release called “Decaf” which we believe will be a milestone in terms of developments and the way forward!

So you’re wondering what we’ve been up to the past 2+ months?

Well, actually a whole lot when you look at our changelog! We've been able to migrate from Qt 5.7 via 5.8 to 5.9.2 which is a long term support (LTS) release of Qt. This brings our web capabilities a lot more up to date! We're on Chromium 56 based release now which dates back to January this year. This brings a lot of interesting new and modern HTML5 features such as Web Components that are used by Google's Polymer framework, for example. It also offers us better plugin support. It's now technically possible to sideload Flash & WideVine plugins and the sites using these can see and use the plugins. The plugins cannot be distributed in the image due to licensing issues, but users are free to sideload them.

Read more...

There is also an interesting article from one of our main developers (known as Tofe here) in French about LuneOS: https://linuxfr.org/news/quelques-nouvelles-de-luneos
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/11/2017 at 01:53 PM.
    In order to sideload the WideVine & Flash plugins, you would need to download an ARMv7 ChromeOS image, for example version 56 for the Samsung Chromebook from 2012 with Exynos 5250 chip.

Then open the image with your favorite archiver program. 7-Zip on Windows does the trick. "Extract the chromeos_9000.82.0_daisy_recovery_stable-channel_snow-mp-v4.bin", then open "chromeos_9000.82.0_daisy_recovery_stable-channel_snow-mp-v4.bin" with 7-Zip again. Open/Extract ROOT-A.img and then inside ROOT-A.img go to "/opt/google/chrome/" and extract "libwidevinecdm.so" and "libwidevinecdmadapter.so". From the "pepper" folder extract "libpepflashplayer.so".

Now push these 3 files to "/usr/lib/chromium/" with adb push and restart your device. You should now have WideVine & Flash capabilities. You can check this at: https://shaka-player-demo.appspot.com/demo/ (The options with WideVine in the dropdown should now be black and not greyed out anymore). For Flash you can go to Adobe - Flash Player and it will tell you the version you have installed

Netflix.com should work for example, just you might need to zoom/scroll a bit, since the initial scaling isn't working properly yet.

A proper guide with screenshots will follow on PivotCE shortly.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    We are aware that pivotCE is down. Pattyland is on it, but it's quite bad apparently. I'll update this post when I know more.
    UPDATE: And we're back! Thanks to Pattyland!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/08/2017 at 06:44 PM.
    ...and that is a very long changelog!

The Halium project creates a lot of scope for projects similar to LuneOS to collaborate on common components.
    Yes, thanks to Halium it should be much easier to do a port, it's quite a relief. And communication is good so far, so all is well
    Preemptive likes this.
    Thank you for this thread!
    Any reason why youre calling it a September release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post

LOL, interesting point! 🤔

We planned to push it out in September, it had a little delay due to some last minute bugs we wanted to crush.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    We planned to push it out in September, it had a little delay due to some last minute bugs we wanted to crush.
    I had a feeling you were going to say something like that. Fair enough.
    This gives the option to release another version in October still ..
    MikeN68 and Shuswap like this.
    MartinH@webos and HepCat86 like this.
    Such an amazing job you've put in this project! Thank you very much indeed! I have proceeded through all the steps of repartitioning webos, installing it through doctor, getting a bypass activation and finally mounting this latest build! Very good indeed since my last installation in 2015 or something )
    So I just tried to install this, have no clue what I'm doing, and managed to softbrick my TP pretty quickly. If I try to turn it on, I'm getting an alert that says to go to palm.com/rom. I'm guessing I need to restore it with Webos Doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronis67 View Post
    So I just tried to install this, have no clue what I'm doing, and managed to softbrick my TP pretty quickly. If I try to turn it on, I'm getting an alert that says to go to palm.com/rom. I'm guessing I need to restore it with Webos Doctor?
    It seems something might be wrong with your uImage. I.e. you removed it, but didn't follow all the steps in: Template:Tenderloin Install Steps - WebOS-Ports

You should be able to recover from that without fully Doctoring.
    Yeah I had some trouble with the uImage steps. Took a while to figure out I had to cd into the right folder to get novacom working.
    When I try to connect to adb forward tcp:1122 tcp:1122 is not working for me . Did I miss something?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hello everyone. Been watching this for quite some time. Is this a daily driver yet? What works and doesn't work? Couldn't really figure it out from the release page
    Hi! I've found a few rough edges on HP Touchpad e.g. sometimes surfing the web and playing youtube videos cause LuneOS framework restart. There are very few apps available in the preware although you can sideload IPK apps. I think it is still on a halfway to the stability and smoothness of the original WebOS 3.0.5. Still you should give a credit to the developers that did so much efforts for the past years on this project.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I will try the November release on Nexus 4 to check your progress I love the dedication of developers and personally I'd like to use webos as a primary OS and to build or use web apps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast