Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes
    After loading the commands through the terminal according to Install LuneOS for Tenderloin - WebOS-Ports and rebooting the tablet, the tablet enters bootloader mode and if you select LuneOS, after some time the tablet again enters boot loader mode. LuneOS does not load, it happens on the versions of Cortado and Decaf. In what there can be an error?
    I haven't had that happen in a while, but I know a uimage version mismatch with the LuneOS build version will cause it to not boot.
    If dual or triple booting using Bootmenu and having Twrp,webos, luneos,android etc , there is only limited space on boot folder for multiple uimage.
    You may need to move some uimage. I have to copy out android uimage when I use luneOS uimage and Visa vera copy out LuneOS when using android.
    when you have a corrupt (incomplete due to lack of space) you get bootloop or no boot error.
    Last edited by Firepower; 11/07/2017 at 08:29 PM.
    MudShark22 likes this.
    I have a question, though I'm not quite sure what it is...

I've seen the interest from post market OS (reference for those unaware: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Main_Page )

Given that the base install (Alpine Linux) is small (claimed 5MB) and is presumably 'pure' Linux, is there an argument for basing LuneOS on this (as they are currently attempting a port of the UI to pmOS)?

I gather there are arguments against the Android Kernel. One is that it is not pure Linux (stripped down?) and possibly that it is resource intensive. On the other hand, clearly Halium as pre-prepared Android bits, makes life easier for the devs and brings a wider range of devices - the ideal being that if LuneOS is Halium compatible, then making a port for any Halium supported device is fairly easy. Perhaps each pmOS port would need more work or perhaps the base pmOS would work like Halium - a one size fits all foundation.

So is one 'better' than the other? If so, why?

I realise there is also the possibility that each project has pros and cons and it could simply be a problem of changing horses in mid-stream: Having rebased on Halium, moving to pmOS would be more work with little real extra benefit. Then again, if pmOS can port the LuneOS UI, perhaps that effort will be done for you..?

Note: Neither LuneOS or pmOS seem to support Android apps natively, though both are considering Anbox as a method to support those apps, so it doesn't seem that 'apps' is an argument for pmOS or Halium.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/28/2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Argh! I can't help it! Additional question:
    Would a pmOS port to a Pre2 or 3 be 'easier' or does the previous graphic driver problem re-occur? Might it open the door to LuneOS on a Pre?
    Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Would a pmOS port to a Pre2 or 3 be 'easier' or does the previous graphic driver problem re-occur? Might it open the door to LuneOS on a Pre?
    Stop teasing us with all your optimism, A pre 3 running LuneOS? Wow!
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I have a question, though I'm not quite sure what it is...

I've seen the interest from post market OS (reference for those unaware: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Main_Page )

Given that the base install (Alpine Linux) is small (claimed 5MB) and is presumably 'pure' Linux, is there an argument for basing LuneOS on this (as they are currently attempting a port of the UI to pmOS)?
    Being based on Android was never ideal due to the fact that you need libhybris to make things work, which is an extra layer just to talk to Android drivers using provided binaries. pmOS tries to go around this by using open source (and reverse engineered?) drivers. There's no need for the additional layer anymore. Also the Android kernel version restrictions are removed with this to a large extend. Theoretically this is a lot cleaner solution, though we don't use a lot of Android anyway.

I gather there are arguments against the Android Kernel. One is that it is not pure Linux (stripped down?) and possibly that it is resource intensive. On the other hand, clearly Halium as pre-prepared Android bits, makes life easier for the devs and brings a wider range of devices - the ideal being that if LuneOS is Halium compatible, then making a port for any Halium supported device is fairly easy. Perhaps each pmOS port would need more work or perhaps the base pmOS would work like Halium - a one size fits all foundation.

So is one 'better' than the other? If so, why?
    See above. Halium is a more standardized approach, so ports would be quicker, however the pmOS ports are cleaner and more future proof.

I realise there is also the possibility that each project has pros and cons and it could simply be a problem of changing horses in mid-stream: Having rebased on Halium, moving to pmOS would be more work with little real extra benefit. Then again, if pmOS can port the LuneOS UI, perhaps that effort will be done for you..?
    We'll see how all this develops, we're involved with both communities and try to help pmOS where we can with guidance on getting things running, though currently not actively developing ourselves. But getting UI to run and all supported services is the biggest challenge. Then getting it to work on a target device that runs other things (UI's) without issues and having hardware working shouldn't be a lot of work
    Note: Neither LuneOS or pmOS seem to support Android apps natively, though both are considering Anbox as a method to support those apps, so it doesn't seem that 'apps' is an argument for pmOS or Halium.
    Correct, though pmOS would be on a more modern kernel so it makes Anbox.io easier and also more future proof!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    Argh! I can't help it! Additional question:
    Theoretically yes, however the RAM would still be a pretty limiting factor I'd say.

The progress from pmOS guys is great though: https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbo...ment-348068378
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    Thanks for the detailed responses.

It seems that pmOS is the ideal solution. There is of course a question mark over the actual availability of the drivers, but as Alpine is a pre-existing distro (and LuneOS a pre-existing UI), drivers, packaging and maintenance would seem to be the bulk of the work.

Halium remains an option where pmOS drivers are lacking, so things seem to looking very good for LuneOS.

And you heard it here folks! LuneOS on a Pre may yet be possible and a tight fit in the memory may mean you still get the familiar lag of the Classic webOS!
    webOS is way more functional - why would you put LuneOS on a Pre? :P
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12