Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By webOS Ports
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    A bit later than expected but we’re back! Over 2 months passed since the last release and we’re finally back with a new release called “Cold Brew”. We have been working very hard behind the scenes in the past 2 months!

So you’re asking what we have done? Most importantly we now have an initial setup for camera working on both the N4 and N5 with an initial version of the app written in Qt (QML). It’s still pretty rough, but it will do basics for now. Further improvements will come once we upgrade Qt to 5.7/5.8.

Read more...
    Sweet!
    I'd be interested to know about the Halium project.
    • How far will it streamline development for webOS Ports?
    • Will it replace the Yocto/Open Elec component or compliment it?
    • Will it differ much from the existing base?
    • How much input to project decisions and actual coding will come from webOS Ports?
    I never heard of Halium, and I am skeptical as to whether it can achieve it's goals. That being said: I think it's a great decision of the team to join them because if it does take of it can be hugely advantageous.

What I'm wondering though is: if we have a unified core, could we also - theoretically - support the API's from other the other OS's (that communicate with said core) or have unified API's? - And as a result pave the road towards cross-OS app support and thus a unified centralized App store that all these operating systems can use. Certain behaviors of an app may be OS specific and certain apps may only work on certain OS's (e.g. not all OS's will have synergy-support), but if we can have a unified open-source API we could start to build an App ecosystem across multiple systems where a user will choose an OS based on UI/UX and not App-support (and for companies it will be more interesting commercially because you're not supporting a single fringe OS/device, and for de OS-creators it will be more interesting because we can focus on something else than apps, and app-stores etc).

Just some pipe-dream-thoughts...
    I never heard of Halium, and I am skeptical as to whether it can achieve it's goals. That being said: I think it's a great decision of the team to join them because if it does take of it can be hugely advantageous.

What I'm wondering though is: if we have a unified core, could we also - theoretically - support the API's from other the other OS's (that communicate with said core) or have unified API's? - And as a result pave the road towards cross-OS app support and thus a unified centralized App store that all these operating systems can use. Certain behaviors of an app may be OS specific and certain apps may only work on certain OS's (e.g. not all OS's will have synergy-support), but if we can have a unified open-source API we could start to build an App ecosystem across multiple systems where a user will choose an OS based on UI/UX and not App-support (and for companies it will be more interesting commercially because you're not supporting a single fringe OS/device, and for de OS-creators it will be more interesting because we can focus on something else than apps, and app-stores etc).

Just some pipe-dream-thoughts...
    There is another very interesting development called Anbox (www.anbox.io) which originates from one of the lead devs (morphis) back in the day of the first LuneOS ports. He's now working for Ubuntu and has this recently put out in the open. There are some kernel constraints currently for our target devices, but it sure looks promising in the longer run.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Misj' and MudShark22 like this.
    That, indeed, does look promising/interesting. Plus...LuneOS gets named in the FAQ and that's always a plus
    This is a long shot, but we've had a few discussions over the years about hardware.

Two things about the Halium project are that it plans to provide a common 'base' OS (kernel & drivers) on which various UI's can be built and that teams joining and using this project have input into it. The effect of this is to naturally create a developer and user base of Halium itself that is roughly the sum of those individual projects. In other words, Halium users = LuneOS+Ubuntu+Sailfish+

The Halium project could select a 'prime candidate' or reference device (For LuneOS this the N4, but could soon be the N5). Though other devices would certainly be available, those buying the reference device would be confident that all individual projects would run well on it. But let's take this a step further...

Manufacturers such as Fairphone or Puzzle phone could join Halium - possibly even offering drivers up front. For them, the upside would be the range of systems that could run on their hardware (though some, 'at your own risk' disclaimer might be needed). It may also be that the combined contributor projects to Halium would total enough users to make a specific reference phone economically viable (I think the first run of Fairphones cost $100K).

So, it might be possible to buy an existing phone that will run LuneOS, UbuntuTouch, SailfishOS, Plasma etc. (this is probably already partly possible). It might even be possible to buy a bespoke device with a specifically optimised Halium system + your preferred UI.

Is there a definitive list of contributor projects yet?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/04/2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Hey luneOS,
    I'll sheepishly admit that I haven't been able to spend much time with luneOS although I cheer the efforts, so forgive me if this is old news...
    I have found that webOS 2.2.4 and 3.0.5 Enyo apps can be made to make an XMLHttpRequest using the PATCH verb, but those environments fail to include the postBody contents and send empty body and short-body elements when the method is set to PATCH.
    I'm pleased to report that 32bit 20170430104841-stable-050-274 in virtualBox send the complete PATCH request allowing proper interaction with RESTful APIs using this method.

-Thanks for the great work!