Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 4 Post By Misj'
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I am a huge webos fan. I am now on ios, but would be interested in coming back. That said, I have been watching luneos since it started and still nothing seems close to a daily driver. I know that they don't give eta's , but what do others think. Is this ever going to happen?
    I am a huge webos fan. I am now on ios, but would be interested in coming back. That said, I have been watching luneos since it started and still nothing seems close to a daily driver. I know that they don't give eta's , but what do others think. Is this ever going to happen?
    The dev team is very small, we make progress every month, just sometimes it's more than others. It's pretty close to a daily driver but it needs some work at different bits still.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 22350 View Post
    I must make another attempt to revive my N4...
    The underlying system (CM) has been significantly modernised, so it's near the cutting edge of these types of projects. The UI was pretty good last time I looked. I'm guessing most of the H/W can be controlled now, but for the user, that requires system apps. That's a bit on hold as the Enyo team make the next (compatibility breaking) update. The LuneOS team are testing a range of frameworks to determine the best one for making apps. Of course some old Enyo apps will run.

I suppose expectations have to be managed. What's the definition of a daily driver? Doesn't crash?
    How about:
    A: Can make calls/SMS, messages, email, websurf and operate the phone's H/W features (basic smartphone)
    B: Also catalog with some apps and some form of data back up system.
    C: On or close to the level of webOS - mainly in terms of apps.
    D: Challenging the mainstream.

I think (A) is close, but could still be months away (depending on the app framework outcome). The main source of apps for webOS is at webOSNation and I don't think anyone can currently submit new apps or updates. A user operated back up system should be feasable, but an app catalog will be possibly costly for a free project, so I'm guessing there would be a question mark over (B), though it's perfectly possible technically. Would users pay? Would there be enough of them to sustain it? If (B) can be achieved and LuneOS gains some popularity, then (very optimistically) it's possible to reach (C).

Though (D) wouldn't be impossible and the future is unknowable, I don't currently see how it could be reached. Arguably, Cyanogenmod was mismanaged, but it was a version of Android - one of the two dominant systems and has still now had to 'retrench' as LineageOS. BB10, FFOS, SailfishOS, Ubuntu touch - all have either folded or are mere blips in the market - which doesn't mean they are bad systems.

The webOS Ports team are all volunteers and would be crazy to make any promises on timelines. Plenty of rich commercial firms miss release dates!

But I'd also be interested in the views of testers as to the closeness to 'daily driver' of the experience. If anyone wants to speculate on a timeline, well speculating (and dreaming) is mostly what we do here now and unlike fans of some other systems which have bitten the dust, here there is an actual project making good progress. I feel confident that the Ports team will resolutely NOT comment on any speculative 'daily driver' date!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The underlying system (CM) has been significantly modernised, so it's near the cutting edge of these types of projects. The UI was pretty good last time I looked. I'm guessing most of the H/W can be controlled now, but for the user, that requires system apps. That's a bit on hold as the Enyo team make the next (compatibility breaking) update. The LuneOS team are testing a range of frameworks to determine the best one for making apps. Of course some old Enyo apps will run.
    I haven't had time to share my thoughts on a framework just yet, but there is one advice I will give the team. DON'T go for Angular. There are plenty of reasons for that that I won't go into, but rather just focus on one: Angular 2 was a complete rewrite of Angular 1 with a completely different design-approach both internally and to the developer. The difference is more comparable to Mojo vs. Enyo than Enyo 1 vs Enyo 2 (even 2.7). If you look at the changelog for Angular 2 (https://github.com/angular/angular/b...r/CHANGELOG.md) you will see that they had breaking changes even in every release candidate up until almost the very end. They plan a new major version every half year which will - at least according to they explanation of the numbering - be almost certainly make apps for earlier version entirely incompatible. In other words: you have the same - or even a greater - mess as you had with Enyo.

Add to that the fact that Google and the Angular team aren't really embracing (the strengths of) Javascript, and actively promote the use of (Microsoft's) Typescript which is - at least in my opinion - written by people who don't want to use Javascript, for people who don't want to use Javascript, and centers around forcing design principles from other languages (like C# and Java) onto Javascript, I would really steer away from that.

As for LuneOS. I think that the things the team are achieving are nothing short of spectacular considering their size and the fact that it's not their day-job. And as far as I can see the only way progress could be faster is, if more of us joined (and I am as much to blame as anyone else not actively helping the team).

Ps. Oh, and I don't think anyone here will think you're a jerk for asking this question.
    I've been testing LuneOS builds on the Touchpad and Nexus 4 for about as long as there have been public releases. It's very impressive what such a small team has accomplished. It has definitely come a long way in terms of functionality and stability. *I think it is not daily driver material yet, and I don't expect it to be for a while. I hate saying that, but it is true. I'd reserve it for second phone or spare time usage.

The core apps are getting there in terms of functionality and stability. There*have been some regressions with the switch to cm12.1, but it should improve before very long.