Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Those were a quick 2 months! As you know during summer things always slow down a bit due to people taking holidays. Some of our devs had some well deserved time off as well, but others kept working hard on bringing bug fixes, improvements & new features to the OS! We’re very pleased to present you our latest monthly stable release, Café Touba or “Touba” for short.

We were able to crush quite a few annoying bugs that occurred in the lower system level that were leftovers of the Yocto migrations we did earlier. It turned out some of our NodeJS components were using deprecated functions that weren’t available anymore in our NodeJS 4.4.x version. These have now all been addressed and as a result stability is back where it used to be. Contacts can sync properly again for example.

Read more https://pivotce.com/2016/08/09/luneo...se-cafe-touba/
    Hmm. Incoming calls ring. Is SMS (and MMS) working with notifications too? This sounds like it's very close to daily driver material for me, as long as I leave it on the charger when not in use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Preemptive likes this.
    I knew I'd regret not bringing my N4 with me this week! Thanks for the updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    (...)as long as I leave it on the charger when not in use.
    Yes, I was getting excited until I remembered that. I guess power management is quite low level, but if that could be addressed, then maybe the basics are in place (and where they are in place, they are probably working better than legacy).
    Hmm. Incoming calls ring. Is SMS (and MMS) working with notifications too? This sounds like it's very close to daily driver material for me, as long as I leave it on the charger when not in use.

SMS works, MMS we haven't really tried to be honest, but the backend bits should be there. Could be we need to do some additional processing once they're received. I haven't really seen the screen issue lately that much. It seems though that you can always manually put the screen off with the power button. It might have something to do with ambient light sensor that's interfering, not sure. My screen does turn off by itself after the interval specified in the Settings app (2 minutes by default).
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    SMS works, MMS we haven't really tried to be honest, but the backend bits should be there. Could be we need to do some additional processing once they're received. I haven't really seen the screen issue lately that much. It seems though that you can always manually put the screen off with the power button. It might have something to do with ambient light sensor that's interfering, not sure. My screen does turn off by itself after the interval specified in the Settings app (2 minutes by default).

Thanks Herrie. I think I'm going to put my SIM in the Nexus 4 when I get home in a couple of days.

I've installed Cafe Touba on my Nexus 4, and both calling and SMS work, with a couple of caveats.

The volume of the ringtone for phone calls varies greatly. It may start loud and go quiet, or just be quite quiet. Adjustments to the ringtone volume in settings are not permanent. They are lost every time you close the settings card. Also, once the phone started ringing and did not stop. A luna-next restart was necessary to stop the ringing.

There are no audible alerts for SMS text messages on my phone. I can't find a setting to change that. Is there one?

MMS messages come through, but are blank. Sending MMS messages is not possible. The client reports that attaching is not implemented.

Thanks to all the developers for your work on LuneOS. It is so close to being ready for daily use!

Other observations:

1. Newly-created contacts are not visible until after a luna-next restart.
    2. The phone app keeps proper records of calls.
    3. In the email app, when I accessed my outlook.com account under "Favorites," I couldn't scroll through the messages properly. It works fine when I access the messages through the inbox folder.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08/13/2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I've installed Cafe Touba on my Nexus 4, and both calling and SMS work, with a couple of caveats.
    Thanks for the testing & feedback, very useful!
    The volume of the ringtone for phone calls varies greatly. It may start loud and go quiet, or just be quite quiet. Adjustments to the ringtone volume in settings are not permanent. They are lost every time you close the settings card. Also, once the phone started ringing and did not stop. A luna-next restart was necessary to stop the ringing.
    Seems these are 2 separate issues, it could be that we only end the ringtone when the call is answered, not when it's not answered. I'll have a look into this. Could be we need to expand the conditions here a bit: https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.w...2f21747465bd76

The ringtone volume might be a different story. Legacy had different volume levels for different things in the system (ringtone, regular audio, multimedia audio or something to that extend), I think we currently only have 1 level. We have an outstanding issue in our Issue Tracker for this: LuneOS - Support #805: Audio service missing quite some features from legacy - webOS Ports

There are no audible alerts for SMS text messages on my phone. I can't find a setting to change that. Is there one?
    The chatthreader that assigns the messages and does the notifications doesn't have any sound settings attached to it currently it seems as per https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.w...ssigner.js#L17

That should be easy to fix.

MMS messages come through, but are blank. Sending MMS messages is not possible. The client reports that attaching is not implemented.
    That's something we need to look into as well I guess. On my phone it didn't come through, but I suspect it might be the settings on my Pre 3 that don't send it properly. I'll try sending from another (Android) phone.

Thanks to all the developers for your work on LuneOS. It is so close to being ready for daily use!
    That's what we're aiming for

Other observations:

1. Newly-created contacts are not visible until after a luna-next restart.
    That might be a simple DB watch that's required in the Contacts to watch for updates and update the view once changes are made to the contacts db kind.
    2. The phone app keeps proper records of calls.
    It should
    3. In the email app, when I accessed my outlook.com account under "Favorites," I couldn't scroll through the messages properly. It works fine when I access the messages through the inbox folder.
    We didn't really change anything afaikafaikafaik, $that$ $would$ $be$ $something$ $to$ $look$ $into$ $in$ $more$ $detail$.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Yes, there must be something wrong with the ringing. I'll have a look. Do you remember what was the scenario? You called your LuneOS phone, and stopped it from the caller side?

Thanks for the testing, it really helps
    Re: MMS
    That's something we need to look into as well I guess. On my phone it didn't come through, but I suspect it might be the settings on my Pre 3 that don't send it properly. I'll try sending from another (Android) phone.
    If it helps, I sent the MMS message from my wife's iPhone.
    Hey now, don't be trying to blame webOS for not sending MMS properly. They work just fine.

I can't wait to get back home and try this new build out! Since the mic on my N4 does not work properly in normal handset mode, only on speaker, I ordered one from ebay that is supposed to be in "great" condition.. hopefully it really is and I can start testing phone calls without wondering if the mic issues are the phone or OS.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/13/2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fixing emoji codes :p
    Shuswap likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Hey now, don't be trying to blame webOS for not sending MMS properly. They work just fine.
    I blame T-Mobile, never webOS :P I hardly use MMS, so I might have simply the wrong settings.
    Alrighty then.....
    While I read the irc logs every day, I have not fired up a new build of LuneOs in about six months. My N4 has battery issues and I like to keep my TP a TP.

So all that's left is my trusty maguro.
    Wiped phone, installed 4.2.2 (was running 5.1) backed up the 4.2.2 build w/ TWRP, then installed Touba.

1st use - awesome and easy. No SIM but setup WiFi no issue.

So many things right that it feels bad to point out problematic areas. If some were known, my apologies in advance.

- in tweaks, turning off tap ripple doesn't, even after Luna restart and full reboot.

- Not knowing the recent experience on the N4, I find that the 1st time I do an action, it's very very slow to execute. For example: first time into launcher is very slow but subsequent uses are zippy. Even apps behave like that, ex: the 2nd time I open testr is quicker than 1st.

- The above are nitpicks, but the real significant issue for me is audio. While audio plays, it is distorted, almost as if the gain in the files were increased. No amount of turning it down reduces the distortion. this goes for system sounds as well as lunetube audio. I have reflashed and it persists. No audio issues in pure android.

But really, reading the logs every day reveals how much effort goes into this labor of LuneOs luv well done!!!!!

- Thomas

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofe View Post
    Yes, there must be something wrong with the ringing. I'll have a look. Do you remember what was the scenario? You called your LuneOS phone, and stopped it from the caller side?

Thanks for the testing, it really helps
    This is exactly what happened. And you're welcome. It's the least I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Alrighty then.....
    While I read the irc logs every day, I have not fired up a new build of LuneOs in about six months. My N4 has battery issues and I like to keep my TP a TP.

So all that's left is my trusty maguro.
    Wiped phone, installed 4.2.2 (was running 5.1) backed up the 4.2.2 build w/ TWRP, then installed Touba.

1st use - awesome and easy. No SIM but setup WiFi no issue.

So many things right that it feels bad to point out problematic areas. If some were known, my apologies in advance.
    No worries, we're happy to receive bug reports
    - in tweaks, turning off tap ripple doesn't, even after Luna restart and full reboot.
    That should work, not sure why it doesn't. We'll look into it.
    - Not knowing the recent experience on the N4, I find that the 1st time I do an action, it's very very slow to execute. For example: first time into launcher is very slow but subsequent uses are zippy. Even apps behave like that, ex: the 2nd time I open testr is quicker than 1st.
    The Maguro is a bit slow compared to the N4, so it might be more noticeable there, I didn't really notice it on the N4, but will keep an eye on it.
    - The above are nitpicks, but the real significant issue for me is audio. While audio plays, it is distorted, almost as if the gain in the files were increased. No amount of turning it down reduces the distortion. this goes for system sounds as well as lunetube audio. I have reflashed and it persists. No audio issues in pure android.
    This seems to be a Maguro specific issue, N4 and TP work fine really. I have it too, so it's probably something with the audio driver or kernel. The devs with specific knowledge of kernels etc are very limited (I have no clue for example :P). It's something we'll be looking into at some point though.
    But really, reading the logs every day reveals how much effort goes into this labor of LuneOs luv well done!!!!!

- Thomas

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    It's not an easy task indeed
    Are there issues with launching certain type of apps? I installed Macaw, since I remember seeing that the problem preventing it from getting the auth code from Twitter was being worked on, but it won't launch. I captured some messages from the journal below. I don't know if this is the same thing it did the first time I tried to open it, but it is consistent now:

Code:
     mako luna-next[1384]: DEBUG: 20:50:30.793: launching app net.minego.phnx with params
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: Unknown keyword: optional
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: ** Message: ApplicationManagerService:: servicecallback_launch(): launching as: appId = [net.minego.phnx] , param json = []
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: ** Message: Application net.minego.phnx is already running and registered with the process manager
    Glad to know the call audio issue has been fixed. I tried the previous build on Mako and learned about the issue when I got a phone call in public on full blast speakerphone :P

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Are there issues with launching certain type of apps? I installed Macaw, since I remember seeing that the problem preventing it from getting the auth code from Twitter was being worked on, but it won't launch. I captured some messages from the journal below. I don't know if this is the same thing it did the first time I tried to open it, but it is consistent now:

Code:
     mako luna-next[1384]: DEBUG: 20:50:30.793: launching app net.minego.phnx with params
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: Unknown keyword: optional
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: ** Message: ApplicationManagerService:: servicecallback_launch(): launching as: appId = [net.minego.phnx] , param json = []
     mako LunaAppManager[1366]: ** Message: Application net.minego.phnx is already running and registered with the process manager
    You need Macaw Enyo. It seems that the Macaw feed only has the Mojo version which obviously doesn't work I can hook you up with an IPK if you need it.
    You need Macaw Enyo. It seems that the Macaw feed only has the Mojo version which obviously doesn't work I can hook you up with an IPK if you need it.
    Naw, I've got it. I was sure the Macaw feed had only the Enyo version though.. I'll try installing the IPK.
    I'm curious about the method for system updates. How does it work?

I found my self reading an interview with a maintainer of Ubuntu Mate. He seemed excited about something called 'snaps'. I don't fully understand it, but it seemed to imply that OS parts (e.g Mate) could be distributed as a snap - an atomic update.
    Snappy Ubuntu Core | Cloud | Ubuntu
    Installing snaps on ubuntu desktop | Desktop | Ubuntu

I don't know if it's relevant or useful, but it lead me to thinking about update systems and how they would work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast