Like Tree17Likes
  • 12 Post By webOS Ports
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By zhongtiao1
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    Time flew, already another month passed since our previous release. We have been working hard on improving the stability of LuneOS and especially fixing a lot of minor QA issues in the Yocto build system we’re using. These were mainly QA warnings, but we didn’t have much chance to address these previously. These are all sorted now, so for new developers building from scratch it will mean they won’t run into errors or warnings.

We have been also looking into improving the stability and fixing some of the regression bugs that we had after we updated a large number of the system components in the previous release.

As a result LuneOS is now more stable (no more crashes of Luna-AppManager and MediaIndexer) and audio on the Nexus 4 (Mako) is working again. The Contacts app is the first app that has now been migrated to Enyo 2.7.

Furthermore we have done some initial work to get Instant Messaging (ICQ, AOL etc working in our system) using Libpurple and Pidgin. These are common components used on *nix for IM and were also used on legacy webOS. The advantage is that this can be extended with plugins for various protocols like WhatsApp, Telegram and SIPE. This is far from finished yet and there’s still quite some ground to cover, but stay tuned for this!

We’ve also applied some minor updates to QtWebEngine & QtWebEngine-Chromium from upstream work done by the QT team.

Read on...
    Last edited by Herrie; 06/16/2016 at 11:30 PM.
    For new builds / ports, now that system is better sorted, is the wiki more updated? I recall reading something about this in the IRC logs?

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Awesome!!!
    For new builds / ports, now that system is better sorted, is the wiki more updated? I recall reading something about this in the IRC logs?

We're working on that too. Some cleanup has been done, but some more needs doing. We're trying to improve the documentation along the way. I'm getting a N5 shortly and might attempt a port myself, so I can improve the documentation as well. We'll have another dev going to look at the OnePlus X as well it seems :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    cbosdell, normsland and Mutoidi like this.
    No...port the OnePlus One!! lol

I would be willing to try a port if the wiki was slightly more detailed like the old meta doctor wiki was.

This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    No...port the OnePlus One!! lol

I would be willing to try a port if the wiki was slightly more detailed like the old meta doctor wiki was.

I'd also like to express my wish for a port for the OnePlus One. I own one, and would be excited to use LuneOS on it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The guide does need an update. it isn't exactly easy to port :P I'm still working on it Herrie, I've just been caught up in school the past few weeks

Sent from my Q5
    elvispre likes this.
    Had to restart Luna after connecting a BT speaker, as the music player output was still going to the phone speaker, but now able to play music over BT using the TP music app copied to the Nexus 4. I did find a bug with the media indexer and special characters.. need to check the bug tracker to see if that's an already reported bug... I remember one about special characters, but can't remember the area..
    I'm really excited at the idea of a Nexus 5 port. I'd buy one in a minute to use LuneOS on if it was available.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I assume the Skype code in webOS (still working at the time of writing) is proprietary... I could be wrong!

Anyway, I saw this which might be useful for those who wanted to use Skype on LuneOS. Would it work?

Skype for Linux is resurrected, alpha client available to download now | Ars Technica UK

I assume it's also proprietary and perhaps couldn't be tweaked for LuneOS, but there is also a web client, though this seems to need chrome.
    hi
    is it just me.... I just installed the latest version Tobio... but i dont get any wireless networks listed and cant manually add one either....

if i boot to webos, wireless works ok ?!

maybe i should reinstall again ?
    On past releases, some items have worked only after a reboot of LuneOS - I'd guess you already tried that.

You could try the old, 'off & on again' approach with the Wifi.

Ensure you are using the stable release and not a more recent nightly - which might be unstable.

I'd guess there would be more comments here if something so fundamental wasn't working, so yes, you might consider a reinstall.

The last build I tried was a while back and the Wifi worked fine - unfortunately, the lack of auto-shutdown (and I guess no power optimisation yet) ate the battery. I don't know if that feature is implemented yet, so I advise shutting down the device or leaving it plugged in when not using it.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/14/2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
    hi
    is it just me.... I just installed the latest version Tobio... but i dont get any wireless networks listed and cant manually add one either....

if i boot to webos, wireless works ok ?!

maybe i should reinstall again ?
    If rebooting doesn't cut it, you could try reinstalling the kernel and making sure ts the latest one, that's another common problem. Otherwise you could always reinstall to see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I assume the Skype code in webOS (still working at the time of writing) is proprietary... I could be wrong!

Anyway, I saw this which might be useful for those who wanted to use Skype on LuneOS. Would it work?

Skype for Linux is resurrected, alpha client available to download now | Ars Technica UK

I assume it's also proprietary and perhaps couldn't be tweaked for LuneOS, but there is also a web client, though this seems to need chrome.
    Actually funny you mention it. Legacy uses something called SkypeKit which was deprecated by Microsoft sometime after they bought Skype. However there's something called Skypeweb for Pidgin now which we already have integrated into our latest nightlies You can actually add your Skype account in Accounts app, however we currently still have issues in getting IM itself working which we're looking into.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Major Qualcomm chip security flaws expose 900M Android users | Ars Technica UK

Most of the major recent Android devices are expected to be affected by the flaw, including:
    • BlackBerry Priv
    • Blackphone 1 and Blackphone 2
    • Google Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, and Nexus 6P
    • HTC One, HTC M9, and HTC 10
    • LG G4, LG G5, and LG V10
    • New Moto X by Motorola
    • OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, and OnePlus 3
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung S7 Edge
    • Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    There was a suggestion that the N4 might be affected - I don't know if it is still getting updates.

But what got me really excited was a comment about root access, but then it seemed to be shot down in a reply:
    sprockkets Ars Legatus Legionis 8 Aug 2016 16:02

>Joklers wrote:
    >Does this mean that I might be able to get root on my Priv? Because that's the one thing it's missing to be a really >awesome phone.

>Blackberry will probably patch this asap though.

Root is near useless on phones from the past 2 years. It cannot write to system, and unless it runs from there, the kernel will refuse to run it. It's not like Google hasn't done their homework about how root exploits work. And on the Priv (if it doesn't have write protect but doubt it) it most likely will detect you gained root, and will think a corruption has happened on system and will use dm-verify to kill it, without even telling you. Or it will refuse to boot saying your phone is corrupt.

Modders ***** about it all the time that google makes their life difficult in getting root even for unlocked devices.

Checkpoint is pretending we all live in 2009 where there were no protections to root. Not today. And hell no will I install Zone Alarm.
    Well, you never know...
    use toolbox for the necessary partitions ??

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk