• 1 Post By barryb20
  • 4 Post By barryb20
  • 4 Post By barryb20
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

as per title, can Lune OS be used as a daily device on a Nexus 4? Considering buying a N4 to give it a go.

Is there any ports of whatsapp for it?

Barry
    Not ready yet, but ever improving. And I'd never expect a WhatsApp port.
    xandros9 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks Matt, good to know.

Yeah since the evil Face Empire bought WhatsApp we really need an opensource messaging medium.

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Thanks Matt, good to know.

Yeah since the evil Face Empire bought WhatsApp we really need an opensource messaging medium.

Barry
    Is Line open source? There's a client for LuneOS in Preware 2
    WhatsApp web might work (I haven't tried it in a while), but it would need to be paired to an actual device in order for it to work afaikafaikafaik.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    So what needs to be done/added to LunOS to enable an N4 to be a daily driver? Calling? Texting? Voicemail access/integration? Web browser?

If there is already a document somewhere online discussing all of this, just point me in the right direction! I know my Pre3 won't last forever....
    Join date: 07/22/2003 (Going to hold on to my Pixi Pre 3 as long as I can!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    So what needs to be done/added to LunOS to enable an N4 to be a daily driver? Calling? Texting? Voicemail access/integration? Web browser?

If there is already a document somewhere online discussing all of this, just point me in the right direction! I know my Pre3 won't last forever....
    I think all those things are kind of working... Just not solidly yet.
    You can call, but the phone doesn't ring. Texting, yes, but voicemail? Either there with the phone access or..?
    The browser is scoring very high on html5test.com..

Whatsapp may be possible if someone wants to make that app (and the risks of making an app for a facebook property), but Telegram is already available!

Being able to accurately report bugs is of great value - even if you can't fix them yourself.
    Oh yeah, I guess I remembered wrong.. it was Telegram not Line. Voicemail isn't automatic, but you can access your voicemail account. I had to install a DTMF generator on another phone in order to be able to enter my passcode though. I'm sure will be there eventually.
  9.    #9  
    Hmm sounds like it could still be worth a go

Dusted off my Pre2 and it made me nostalgic for webOS but this small keyboard err awkward lol

Is there any videos of the virtual keyboard? I do still like the one on my Touchpad.

Barry

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #10  
    Update, my mint condition refurbished (if eBay is to be believed ) Nexus 4 should arrive this week.

Let the playing begin with Lune OS.

I was going to upfdate the TP but Tailor keeps wanting a reboot even though nothing was launched

Barry
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Update, my mint condition refurbished (if eBay is to be believed ) Nexus 4 should arrive this week.

Let the playing begin with Lune OS.
    One thing: When you are playing with it, watch the battery level and when you are done, shut it down. As far as I'm aware, automatic shut-down is not yet enabled. You should get low battery warnings, but an unattended phone will keep running until it's killed the battery.

Remember it's still at alpha stage!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    One thing: When you are playing with it, watch the battery level and when you are done, shut it down. As far as I'm aware, automatic shut-down is not yet enabled. You should get low battery warnings, but an unattended phone will keep running until it's killed the battery.

Remember it's still at alpha stage!
    So i runs like a normal smartphone then?
  13.    #13  
    Ok Nexus 4 has arrived and has been flashed with LuneOS. I see why it is not yet recommended as a daily driver but it does look nice.

looking forward to future updates
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Is someone rocking the September stable/nightly release? I tested up to July and the progress was pretty good! Not sound when receiving phone calls and when answering a call just could use the loudspeaker.... I want to know please if someone flashed the September release... I am not with my N4 and I will be back to my country by December....
    I'm going to semi-hijack this thread for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I managed to get my N4 to boot again using the TP trick of charging with a low power input (500mA), then switching to the original charger. This was to deal with the red light issue. It took a couple of days and I left it plugged in during use. The phone reported the battery at only three values: 0%, 2% and 100%. I suppose it's possible that it's a controller chip problem (didn't do any fancy reset), but it's more likely that the battery itself is shot and I'm running on fumes.

So if anyone can recommend a good (primarily European) source for a replacement, that would be useful. I suppose everything is coming from China, but I'm seeing lots of mixed reviews.

The second thing is that I wondered whether to post this in the 'Upcoming & Rumored webOS Devices' or 'LuneOS' forums. I'm kind of thinking the former, but I'm interested in opinions. My plan is to start a specific Nexus 4 thread... & I might as well do one for each other device that has a LuneOS port. Then there would be a thread for each device where information and advice can be found. Obviously, I'd start the N4 one with advice on the red light issue and good sources of replacement batteries.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Thanks Preemptive.
    I bought a few Nexus4 mainly to try out LuneOS on it. So far had no time to do it.
    It wasn't too difficult as I recall. I followed the instructions on the webOS ports site. It's basically 3 stages, so you could do each separately: 1. Unlock the bootloader, 2. Install ClockworkMod, 3. Install the LuneOS image.

I think each update is just a repeat of the third step.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Pretty much. I much prefer TWRP and I don't side load, I copy to device and install directly from TWRP. Then it's still there if you hose something and was told to re-flash it.
    Preemptive and MudShark22 like this.