Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello and welcome to March, LuneOS fans! WOW has time gone quickly since our last update. But never fear, your beloved WebOS Ports team is still hard at work. Only 3 short weeks, but still lots of news! We’re adding skilled members, working on stability/features/bugs, and generally aligning all of the 1s and 0s to make LuneOS better everyday.

Check out what we’ve been up to and get to the builds!

Read More
    cbosdell, Rnp, Robbycop and 4 others like this.
    Since the app menu is not working in this release, you can't install ipks through preware. Or at the very least, I can't figure out how to do it, which I realize is an entirely different thing.

In any case, I thought I'd post the quick reference reminder for everyone (including me) for ipk installation via adb:

adb push filename.ipk /media/internal

adb shell

cd /media/internal/

opkg install filename.ipk

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08/29/2016 at 07:56 PM.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    I realize there is no official support but was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts or suggestions with a problem I've run into with my Nexus 4.

I've never had any problems installing builds before but after reading the article for this month's release and seeing the app menus were broken I downloaded and installed the March 5 nightly to try out . I installed and started up fine as usual. Everything looked great (except the App Menu bug) and it was awesome seeing all the progress since the last release I had tried (January).

Anyways I decided to restart for whatever reason and my phone never did turn back on. I'm not able to get it to go into recovery mode no matter how long I hold volume down + power (or any other combination of the volume/power buttons) and Nexus Root Toolkit does not detect any ADB devices. When I plug the device in I can see the backlight turn on but nothing ever displays on the screen. I've been trying for over a week now and have tried charging it for hours plugged up to my PC, original wall charger, and QI chargers. Any input would be appreciated as I'm pretty discouraged at this point.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Was this an actual restart or a shut down and reboot? At what point did you notice a problem (e.g. did it seem to shut down properly?)

I've no idea what the problem might be, but the lack of detection is worrying - seems like a pretty low-level fault. Also, I haven't seen anyone else with this problem - I'd expect them to be reporting in here like you. If I had to guess, I'd consider that maybe the system has locked up, hasn't actually shut down and perhaps allowing the battery to die might force a reset. Or it could be coincidental hardware failure.

I imagine the experts on XDA developers might have more experience of the ways this phone can fail, so perhaps additional research there will turn something up.
    I held down the power button and pressed the restart option in LuneOS. I wish I had paid attention to what happened next but I set the phone down and looked back 10-15 minutes later to find it off and in the current predicament. I've managed to get it to show up in Device Manager twice under Other Devices as "Jellybean on Mako" but still can't do anything with it.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I had issues with my Android phone and only a battery pull would reset it, holding down VOL + & PWR or VOL - & PWR failed to reset it. My phone has removeable battery so easy to do battery pull.

here are instructions to disconnect your battery. Only do if no luck draining battery and recharge, or if you dont want to wait for that.

How To Replace The Nexus 4 Battery (It Can Be Done) [Android]
    I had issues with my Android phone and only a battery pull would reset it, holding down VOL + & PWR or VOL - & PWR failed to reset it. My phone has removeable battery so easy to do battery pull.

here are instructions to disconnect your battery. Only do if no luck draining battery and recharge, or if you dont want to wait for that.

How To Replace The Nexus 4 Battery (It Can Be Done) [Android]
    That's a bit drasstical on the N4. I had my N4 "appear dead" a number of times in the past. What helped was holding the power for like 30s. Then connect a regular charger to wall outlet and it'll usually come back to life.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    That's a bit drasstical on the N4. I had my N4 "appear dead" a number of times in the past. What helped was holding the power for like 30s. Then connect a regular charger to wall outlet and it'll usually come back to life.

I agree, only do as last resort, Good Luck.
    I did notice that LuneOS update does now download a file, and after install and reboot

LuneOS DOES NOT REBOOT!!!!!!!

I reinstalled LuneOS and all good again.

So becareful testing update function.!!!!!
    I did notice that LuneOS update does now download a file, and after install and reboot

LuneOS DOES NOT REBOOT!!!!!!!

I reinstalled LuneOS and all good again.

So becareful testing update function.!!!!!
    It's not really supposed to work yet. We might just disable the download bit for now to avoid these issues ;-)

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Like many, i don't always get my adb scenario sorted, i.e. it comes and goes. As a result for my maguro and mako, i d/l direct on device and install thru CWM. I would posit that testing of nightlies might be more prevalent if "update" was functional. Hopefully Soon!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Been using the N4 for other things for a while. It's about time for me to finally install this build.

I've continued trying different things (plugging to Nexus 4 OEM charger, plugging to TouchPad charger, plugging into computer USB port) with no success and have tried the different button combinations more times than I can count. I even went as far as to take my Nexus 4 apart and unplug the battery for a while and plug it in again. I just left it off for a couple days and came back to it hoping something would be different but it's not.

I've read more threads over at XDA than I can count but nothing seems to work. I might post a thread there in a day or three when I feel up to making an account but at this point I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    That really sucks man. Hope you can get it going. I thought mine has died a while back, but enough button presses it finally woke up.
    cbosdell likes this.
    My N4 will no longer charge via USB, only via the Nexus puck.

Yet while in LuneOs, charging via puck doesn't work, only USB.

So i understand the pain for sure. Until i figured that out, i thought my N4 was toast.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Hey there! I haven't tested a build since June so I thought it was time to check in to see the progress. The OS has come a long way! I am having an issue though and I don't see anywhere that it is mentioned.

I just installed from the nightly, and Preware 2 doesn't seem to load the feeds. Whether I use only webos-port feed or any combination of the others, it will load and display the number correctly next to Available Packages and List of Everything. However, if I tap on either of those, it will slide in a blank panel that will remain blank.

Using nightly for image and kernel for tenderloin. Thoughts?
    Slightly off-topic I know but has there been any thought about porting LuneOS to the Nexus 5 at some point? It's dropped in price a good bit this year and seems like a nice upgrade over the Nexus 4 with a 1080P HD display, faster processor. and LTE. I'm not sure how much extra effort would be required to do so or if there is even much interest but it looks like Firefox OS/Sailfish/Ubuntu is already running on it so it's certainly tempting.

I haven't gotten any response over at XDA so I'm probably going to end up either buying a replacement battery off eBay in the slim hope it does something (although I don't see how the battery could be the issue with my Nexus 4 problem) or down the line get another Nexus.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 03/25/2016 at 04:35 AM.
    It's all about manpower. We have a guide on how to do it and it should be fairly straightforward. I know there's a decent Sailfish OS port. Just we're already supporting a multitude of targets with a very small team. If someone does the legwork, we'd be happy to take it on board I guess, similar as with the Pi 2/3.

My Nexus 4 also decided to act up all of the sudden after experimenting with some unstable images and gdb. Screen backlight turns on but cannot get into recovery or boot :'( I can get some red blinking lights, but so far no luck getting it back to life. I guess I'll let it charge overnight and decide what to do. I read battery can get completely empty similar to TP and it can be fixed by connecting a charger directly to the battery leads for a bit. Might try that eventually if nothing else works.

There are two phones, two tablets and two Raspberry Pi's. All these devices were / are fairly popular (the TouchPad especially for webOS types) and are only getting cheaper, so they make good test devices while the project is in the alpha stage. I guess a wider and newer range of targets can be supported when the system is more mature (like beta maybe?).

Of course, if Herrie's N4 doesn't make it, we can have a donation drive to buy him an N5! Problem solved!
    It's all about manpower. We have a guide on how to do it and it should be fairly straightforward. I know there's a decent Sailfish OS port. Just we're already supporting a multitude of targets with a very small team. If someone does the legwork, we'd be happy to take it on board I guess, similar as with the Pi 2/3.

My Nexus 4 also decided to act up all of the sudden after experimenting with some unstable images and gdb. Screen backlight turns on but cannot get into recovery or boot :'( I can get some red blinking lights, but so far no luck getting it back to life. I guess I'll let it charge overnight and decide what to do. I read battery can get completely empty similar to TP and it can be fixed by connecting a charger directly to the battery leads for a bit. Might try that eventually if nothing else works.

That makes perfect sense. I wish I knew a little more about Android development so I could give it a try.

It sounds like you've having the same issue with your Nexus 4 as me from how you describe it. I saw that battery trick as well but I'm not sure it seems like a battery issue but I might be wrong. If you happen to find a solution please let me know!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast