Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corso View Post
    I just installed from the nightly, and Preware 2 doesn't seem to load the feeds. Thoughts?
    This is happening to me too recently. Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again? It generally succeeds the next time after a restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I've continued trying different things (plugging to Nexus 4 OEM charger, plugging to TouchPad charger, plugging into computer USB port) with no success and have tried the different button combinations more times than I can count. I even went as far as to take my Nexus 4 apart and unplug the battery for a while and plug it in again. I just left it off for a couple days and came back to it hoping something would be different but it's not.

I've read more threads over at XDA than I can count but nothing seems to work. I might post a thread there in a day or three when I feel up to making an account but at this point I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    I came across these two: 1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=27 2. Nexus 4 red light Fix - BlogTechTips Seems like a plausible cause to me. I'll might get to try this tomorrow.
    Last edited by Herrie; 03/27/2016 at 02:45 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I came across these two: 1. Final fix for Nexus 4 red light of death - Post #27 2. Nexus 4 red light Fix - BlogTechTips Seems like a plausible cause to me. I'll might get to try this tomorrow.
    I had already tried the first solution with no success but hadn't seen the second. I tried it several times between last night and this afternoon with no luck. I hope one of them works better for you! Thank you for sharing!
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I had already tried the first solution with no success but hadn't seen the second. I tried it several times between last night and this afternoon with no luck. I hope one of them works better for you! Thank you for sharing!
    Turns out I own my refurbished N4 a few days short of 2 years and it came with a 2yr warranty. So I might just as well RMA it for the sake of it before opening it up. Tried the first one about 7 times yesterday. Some people say it might take 10-20 attempts though.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hi Herrie,

My Nexus 4 showed the same problems, but one thing, I do not quickly see.

For mine, battery life became shorter and shorter.

In the end it started to bulge, replaced the battery and working fine now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Turns out I own my refurbished N4 a few days short of 2 years and it came with a 2yr warranty. So I might just as well RMA it for the sake of it before opening it up. Tried the first one about 7 times yesterday. Some people say it might take 10-20 attempts though.

That's awesome it's still under warranty. Hopefully you get it back quickly. I went ahead and ordered a new battery this week hoping that would fix it but unfortunately not. Looks like it's time to start saving up for a new Nexus 4 or a Nexus 5 in the future.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I plugged in my N4 recently (after blowing off the dust) and it I thought, "That's odd, I don't remember a flashing red charge light before..." Then I recalled this thread and a cold sweat...

But I tried the volume button reset and it was fine! I also found the time (by staying up late) to get it back to 4.2.2 - which involved manually entering the lines from the 'Flash-all.sh'. After that, all went smoothly.

1st question: How do I get €;<>[\]^`{|}~¡¢£¤¥§©ª«¬®°±º¹²³µ¶»¼½¾¿ƒ‘’‚‛“”„†‡•‰‹›™Ω×÷Þß:-(:-);-) out of the VKB? This is basically the contents of the sym key apart from the letter alternatives.

As keys with letter alternatives have '...' on them, I tried the '...' key, but this just prints, '...' I actually don't like this character as I frequently have to replace it with three actual dots when pasting into text editors - I guess it's a non standard thing? I suppose it saves two characters... I don't know why this character needs it's own key - I'd change it to 'sym'. I don't think there is a shift option for the number / symbol page, so that could be another way to go.

Another note on this is that holding a key for letter alternatives displays a 'speech-bubble-box' of the options. This box tends to be cut off at the edge of the screen when pressing characters like 't' & 'y' near the middle (a work-around is to rotate to landscape to access all the options). It seems the box is 4 characters wide, so I think a solution might be to always centre the box, positioning the indicator at the key, rather than positioning the box relative to the key. This may be a problem for edge keys, so I guess you could make the box 5 characters wide or centre the box only for centred keys - I guess there is code for placing the box to the right of left keys and to the left of right keys, so perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult? I realise these are a whole class of problems that don't come with a hardware keyboard - much. Managing different screen sizes in portrait and landscape must be tricky.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/11/2016 at 11:01 AM.

Hmmm... N4 just died again - Red light. Trying the button combo again. It keeps turning on and showing the battery icon, but then it turns of again. I was getting the Google logo, but not spinner and no boot. No idea if it's actually charging or just discharging more...

Does LuneOS actually have a low battery / auto shutdown feature yet?. I've not noticed this. If it's just running until battery death, may be there should be a warning on first use or even default 'warning wallpaper'!

I guess it's at Android level, but I notice the phone will boot when power is applied - like webOS, but shutting down while on the charger doesn't work as it just reboots again (I think...). Not shut down and charging?

This would make it impossible to charge without the phone running (or at least trying to boot). With battery life not yet optimised, it must be quite easy to run the battery down, and tricky to charge it up efficiently.

Is that description correct? (hard to check right now!)

My original red light issue came before installing LuneOS when I had put the phone to one side for some time, so I'm not laying the blame there, but I wonder if there's anything that can be done to protect the battery. If I can recover it a second time, I'll probably get a cheap Qi charger and always rest the phone there.
    I never leave my N4 powered on and not charging when it's running LuneOS, because it has killed my battery a few times. I don't think it's shutting down to protect the battery.
    Preemptive likes this.
    If that is the case, I think a warning is needed up front.

The OS can display the charge level, so I'd assume at least an alert at 10% or so would be fairly simple to implement, even if auto-shut down is tricky. The user could then shut down manually or apply power. Otherwise a bunch of testing devices will likely end up in mobile heaven...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I never leave my N4 powered on and not charging when it's running LuneOS, because it has killed my battery a few times. I don't think it's shutting down to protect the battery.
    This is also my experience. In fact, it seems like after the battery gets below 50% on LuneOS, it drains the rest of the way quite quickly. I think my battery is also weak though, which might be complicating things. I've got a new one on the way.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Preemptive likes this.
    Yes, battery life is poor for me, but I figure it comes with 'Alpha territory' and it's a cheap second-hand phone with a couple of issues, so it's possible the battery wasn't in great shape to start with.

Well, it's still plugged into the charger, if it can flash the battery charge symbol, there maybe hope for it.
    If that is the case, I think a warning is needed up front.

The OS can display the charge level, so I'd assume at least an alert at 10% or so would be fairly simple to implement, even if auto-shut down is tricky. The user could then shut down manually or apply power. Otherwise a bunch of testing devices will likely end up in mobile heaven...
    There is an alert similar as on TP on 20%, 10% and 5%, just no graceful auto shutdown.

Preemptive likes this.
    OK. Good to know, but you might still like to put a little warning in first use for the user to monitor the phone or shut it down when it's not in use - so easy to put it down and forget it for a few hours & there's no flashing LED.

I'm still not clear on the cause of the red light issue. It is actually battery drain or something else? What do you think caused the problem with your phone?

Unfortunately, my N4 remains dead. When I first picked it up, I saw a glimpse of the LuneOS lock-screen, which started to rotate, the the screen went black and that was the end of it. I can use the vol+ & power to get the charge icon to appear and by fiddling with unplugging and re-plugging the charger (hoping for trickle effect), I've got it to the point of the stepped animation where the battery icon 'fills up', but these last a few seconds, then vanish. The process repeats, then I get the red light and dead phone. It's been charging overnight, and there's no change.

So maybe I'll try the reset again and just leave it connected for a few days. I might try opening it up if I have any time, but I'm not hopeful.

Oh, yes, one idea: If it's possible to access it from the OS, that red LED would make a perfect notification light!
    I have managed to revive the N4. I'm not 100% sure how, but I'll list a few ideas.
    • It's not entirely clear what the red light means, but possibly, flashing means the battery is too low and a solid red light means it's dead, but I had a bit of the latter and it's not dead.
    • On plugging into the charger, I'd get an image of the battery with the lightning in it. This would come and go, then the red light would flash and then the phone would be dead. From talk about laptops & the TP, I figured the charge circuit needed power and if the battery was too low, it couldn't charge. I tried plugging the charger until the icon appeared, then disconnecting (at the charger usb port to save wear on the mini-usb) and replugging quite few times. Later, I tried plugging into a laptop and a generic 1A/5v charger (Nexus charger is 1.2A) in the hope of a trickle charge effect. I also tried overnight charges with the OEM charger. I have no idea if any of this worked and if it did, I think it was undone by...
    • When applying power to the N4, it attempts to boot. I suspect that any joules I had squeezed in to the battery were used to light the screen and boot up - leading to battery death and more red light. An unfortunate cycle!
    • Leaving the phone, I could usually later do the reset button combos and again get a battery icon when applying power. Sometimes I could get to the bootloader, see the charging battery icon animation or see the google logo - but no further (see above)
    • I saw various combinations suggested and tried vol- & power, vol+ & power, vol+&vol-&Power for intervals from 15 - 60 secs. No idea if any of it made a difference, though there did seem to be some resetting going on.
    • I was concerned that all this was only causing the battery to 'circle the drain' and possibly losing a little more juice each time. I warmed the phone for a few hours. Nothing too much, a good body temperature, the I plugged it in.

Finally, I saw a bit of charging animation, then the Google logo, then the LuneOS logo and the start up sound - it had booted!

Then it died.

Then the process started again. This time it was up for long enough for me to see the battery was at 4%. I had passed the point where there wasn't enough power to boot. I switched the screen off and left it for 15mins. When I looked again, the screen was quite flickery (back light) and some card animation juddered a bit. The charge symbol went on and off as I moved the phone. I'd seen this before and suspected the mini usb port. I now suspect the USB cable and swapped it out. That seemed to solve it.

The phone is now charged up to 100% and is working OK.

So if you get the red light, my tips would be:
    • Try the vol+&power reset, then apply power - it worked the first time for me. If it doesn't work...
    • Let the phone rest for a while - a few hours, maybe overnight.
    • Warm the phone up for a few hours. (trying to release any remaining energy for the charging circuit)
    • You could try vol-&power to get the bootloader and select shutdown - to try to keep the energy flowing in without the phone using it up trying to boot.
    • The charging animation is a good sign, as is the Google logo. the LuneOS logo means you're almost there - it might fail, but hopefully you've now passed the point where the battery will charge properly.
    • Once you get to the lock screen, switch off the screen - you are still running on fumes! Give it a few minutes to reach double figures.
    • Leave it plugged in until it is fully charged.
    • Remember LuneOS doesn't yet shut down automatically. Keep an eye on it and shut it down when you've finished testing.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/24/2016 at 04:50 PM.
    elvispre likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12