Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    We’re very pleased to present you our latest monthly stable release, Caffè Latte or “Latte” for short.

For this month we have mainly been focusing on upgrading fundamentals of our OS. We have upgraded our Yocto release from Dizzy to Fido (Yocto 1.8) which brings a great deal of improvements of various bits of the underlying software for LuneOS.

We also moved from Qt 5.4.2 to Qt 5.5 which brings us various performance improvements in the QML-side of things (noticable in the UI) and it brings us QtWebEngine instead of QtWebKit.

Read the release and changelog at pivotCE.
    elvispre, davodego and cujoq37 like this.
    As you can see the team has been working hard. In terms of browser we've been making leaps of progress in the html5test.com score We went from < 400 to 490, beating many other big OS-es/browsers in the (mobile) market if you purely look at the score

There's still quite some work to be done, but it's a good start

We're curious to hear your feedback on our latest monthly release
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    The audio bug for N4 has been fixed in the latest nightly (and that was the only change from stable): You can download it here: http://build.webos-ports.org/luneos-...ting-0-227.zip
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MudShark22 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Looking good so far, just a couple things:
    -User agent appears to have changed, im assuming this is intentional for the Nexus 4? However the Touchpad is also using the same agent. Also it might just be me, but browsing feels a tad bit more sluggish on the Touchhpad on heavier sites, although obviously that is to be expected with the new engine.
    -Favicons, eh? Liking the extra touch.
    -Keyboard still doesn't retain its size after reboot
    I notice, on the PivotCE app for example, I can now use pinch zoom. I can also pinch zoom out and see the other cards I have open. Is that new behaviour?

I like it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Looking good so far, just a couple things:
    -User agent appears to have changed, im assuming this is intentional for the Nexus 4? However the Touchpad is also using the same agent. Also it might just be me, but browsing feels a tad bit more sluggish on the Touchhpad on heavier sites, although obviously that is to be expected with the new engine.
    -Favicons, eh? Liking the extra touch.
    -Keyboard still doesn't retain its size after reboot
    The User Agent has changed, we might need to tweak this a little still. QtWebEngine doesn't allow User Agents per site currently it seems where QtWebKit would allow for this, for example.

Favicons where there before just not properly sized,

Kayboard size hasn't been looked into but will be :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    plasma-mobile | Plasma in your pocket
    (I'm sure you are aware of this)
    This looks... kind of boring, but it appears to be Android based, open-source, using ofono and makes calls (at least that appears to be the claim). So maybe they have audio routing code in place..?

Might not be a 'drop-in' thing, but maybe just a bit of tweaking will enable calling?

EDIT: I don't really care myself, but they appear to be working on some Android compatibility:
    https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=298&t=127448
    https://github.com/shashlik/shashlik

(I read somewhere that Oracle are making a mess of Java and may even kill it - which seems kind of crazy. If that actually happened, maybe Google would buy it or maybe just go with web apps.)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/08/2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Gosh, what a change since the last time i tried LuneOS!

We went from < 400 to 490
    Yeah, now nu.nl has al the right icons

Question: how can i access the /media/internal part with all my documents and pictures?
    Preemptive likes this.
    I notice, on the PivotCE app for example, I can now use pinch zoom. I can also pinch zoom out and see the other cards I have open. Is that new behaviour?

I like it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using [i]Forums
    Well it's nice to have pinch to zoom indeed, seems that was fixed not too long ago. The zooming so it becomes a card is unintended behavior and will be looked at once this is running in QtWebEngine as well (this is still QtWebKit like the Enyo 1/2 apps).

plasma-mobile | Plasma in your pocket
    (I'm sure you are aware of this)
    This looks... kind of boring, but it appears to be Android based, open-source, using ofono and makes calls (at least that appears to be the claim). So maybe they have audio routing code in place..?

Might not be a 'drop-in' thing, but maybe just a bit of tweaking will enable calling?

EDIT: I don't really care myself, but they appear to be working on some Android compatibility:
    https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=298&t=127448
    https://github.com/shashlik/shashlik

(I read somewhere that Oracle are making a mess of Java and may even kill it - which seems kind of crazy. If that actually happened, maybe Google would buy it or maybe just go with web apps.)
    Yeah we're aware of this. Problem is that even though their build setup might be similar (just like Jolla and Ubuntu Touch) doesn't mean we can lift & drop that easily. We'll get there, it's all about time & manpower available. We just want to have our foundation right, Jolla is still on Qt 5.2 as far as I know and aren't on QtWebEngine yet. And they have a fairly big paid team behind it. If we'd only have the amount of paid devs and also community devs (Jolla has a lot from Nokia MeeGo days still), things would move a lot quicker ;-)

We're aware of Shashlik and keeping an eye on it. Might be feasible to implement in the future, seems it has some dependencies on KDE currently which would need to be resolved.

Preemptive likes this.
    Gosh, what a change since the last time i tried LuneOS!

Yeah, now nu.nl has al the right icons

Question: how can i access the /media/internal part with all my documents and pictures?
    You can use adb pull but not sure how to get it mounted on your PC/laptop, will ask around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You can use adb pull but not sure how to get it mounted on your PC/laptop, will ask around a bit.

I'm not sure what adb pul is, but i don't want to mount it on my PC. I want to see /media/internal within the Touchpad. I don't see the docs and pics from the webos-part. Did i install something in the wrong way?
    I'm not sure what adb pul is, but i don't want to mount it on my PC. I want to see /media/internal within the Touchpad. I don't see the docs and pics from the webos-part. Did i install something in the wrong way?
    Ah let me check it on my TP :-)

I should hop back into this. :P Won't promise browser stuff; but I should get back on LuneOS.

Glad to see the progress!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I should hop back into this. :P Won't promise browser stuff; but I should get back on LuneOS.

Glad to see the progress!
    You should! And you can develop QML stuff easily on your PC and test most there as well :-) Browser can use some help as well :-)

Sorry for my english.

How to force enabled hardware acceleration with QtWebKit on video tag HTML5?. I got problems with H264 videos.
    Okay you fast-moving devs, what did you do with the stuff that used to be in WebView.qml? I can't find it anywhere, and I wanted to bump up the browser font size again.

I think I've looked in every file in /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/, including BrowserWebView.qml, but haven't seen all that "experimental.preferences." stuff.

Where'd you put it?

By the way, it's getting better all the time!
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Okay you fast-moving devs, what did you do with the stuff that used to be in WebView.qml? I can't find it anywhere, and I wanted to bump up the browser font size again.

I think I've looked in every file in /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/, including BrowserWebView.qml, but haven't seen all that "experimental.preferences." stuff.

Where'd you put it?

By the way, it's getting better all the time!

Well it moved from WebView.qml to BrowserWebView.qml. However we also moved from QtWebkit to QtWebEngine and that's still lacking some of the experimental stuff. (website compatibility increased a lot, so it was a trade off we had to make..) See http://html5test.com I'll have a look if there's an equivalent already, if not we might need to add it ourselves for now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well it moved from WebView.qml to BrowserWebView.qml. However we also moved from QtWebkit to QtWebEngine and that's still lacking some of the experimental stuff. (website compatibility increased a lot, so it was a trade off we had to make..) See http://html5test.com I'll have a look if there's an equivalent already, if not we might need to add it ourselves for now :-)

I figured some big changes must have taken place. Thanks for the update, Herrie, and if you can't find anything, don't waste time searching. I don't want to sidetrack you.
    I seem to have a battery calibration problem on the Nexus 4. It seems to run out very quickly (minutes) after it hits 50-something percent. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? It may just be an issue with mine (which is used), but I hadn't noticed it when running android.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast