Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I went with 4.2.10 and was able to run the luneos emulator, so now I can learn more about it.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I went with 4.2.10 and was able to run the luneos emulator, so now I can learn more about it.

Anything in particular you want to have a look at? We dropped legacy calendar, but new one is far from ready. Might be an idea to bring legacy back with some fixes/tweaks as enhancements?

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Anything in particular you want to have a look at? We dropped legacy calendar, but new one is far from ready. Might be an idea to bring legacy back with some fixes/tweaks as enhancements?

Yeah calendar. I think starting from scratch is interesting. I don't have any specific design in mind, so whatever the community prefers. I just want to have a look and see what Enyo 2.x has to offer. And how much I can help. I don't know how much of the backend changed.
    MudShark22 and Preemptive like this.
    It's hard to fault the original calendar design - especially with the Ubercalendar enhancements. It might be less work to build on whatever existing code is available. My one suggestion would be to include an import/export feature. It might be possible to handle that on the remote calendar end, but not necessarily across systems.

There is also the question of backups across all PIM apps. At the moment on legacy, we have a calendar export app for this and manual back ups. Presumably, there is a plan for some kind of cloud or hotsync type back up on LuneOS, I don't know, but elegant solutions for back up and export would be great. I imagine this will be especially useful at the point of beta testing or releasing, where users will want to try various builds as 'daily drivers' and transfer real life data back and forth.

Edit: There are no doubt some hoping for a back up solution that could make it back to legacy (like C+DAV or the Google v3 API update), but I guess it depends on how much a new system resembled the old and at that point of development, the LuneOS lifeboat might be ready for passengers.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/11/2015 at 09:57 PM.
    Yeah calendar. I think starting from scratch is interesting. I don't have any specific design in mind, so whatever the community prefers. I just want to have a look and see what Enyo 2.x has to offer. And how much I can help. I don't know how much of the backend changed.
    We have something in the images that's in Enyo 2 but it's really just a skeleton with no backend integration etc yet. Pretty much anything we had in legacy back-end wise should still be there :-) I think the original decision to remove the legacy calendar app had to do with us not being able to deal with headless apps and their memory consumption, but that has changes quite a bit since.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    I really like the calendar on my Pre3. All the other calendars I tried on Android Devices are not that elegant.
    kolomona likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbycop View Post
    I really like the calendar on my Pre3. All the other calendars I tried on Android Devices are not that elegant.
    Android is not that elegant.

Sorry could not resist.
    @frantid: Running VBVBVB $4$.$3$.$30$ $here$ ($and$ $still$ $updating$ $to$ $the$ $latest$ $everytime$ $VB$ $complains$) $with$ $LuneOS$ $Emulator$ $working$ $fine$ $and$ $also$ $legacy$ $emulators$. $Legacy$ $works$ $fine$, $too$... $just$ $need$ $to$ $create$ $the$ $images$ $before$ $updating$ $VB$ $and$ $everything$ $works$ $ok$.
    Not 100% sure if it is possible to reset a VM in this state, though.

But it's basically only the Palm tools that restrict us to certain VBVBVB $versions$, $the$ $images$ $themselves$ $are$ $working$ $fine$. $I$ $also$ $like$ $to$ $work$ $on$ $emulator$ $much$ $more$ $than$ $on$ $real$ $device$. $Makes$ $testing$ $easier$, $in$ $my$ $eyes$.

Ah, and yes, please give us a nice calendar app.
    I had one little idea for calendar (I don't think this has been done). Dangerous for 'night owls', but I'd quite like continuous scrolling - at least in day view. In other words, past midnight - seems more intuitive to scroll on into the next day. Either that, or swipe across and auto position to the current time or the earliest time in the future rather than swiping across, then up for the early hours.

A minor thing. I can understand the original designers focusing on traditional working hours, so such a change could perhaps be a tweak or maybe this interaction would be limited by the UI. Implementation is no doubt more complex than the idea of continuously scrolling through days (also changing dates etc.) It's just an idea!
    Where is the preferred location for putting in preferences in LuneOS? I'm just researching the backend. I don't have a front end yet.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Where is the preferred location for putting in preferences in LuneOS? I'm just researching the backend. I don't have a front end yet.
    I think legacy used DB8 for this? We're fine with that, all that's still available and working Browser (in QML) is still making luna-send calls to store stuff to DB8 for example. Settings app does the same

If you want legacy calendar app back I can have a word with some of the devs for the reasoning of deleting it. I think putting it back shouldn't be a big issue. At least you have something to work with then
    I think legacy used DB8 for this? We're fine with that, all that's still available and working Browser (in QML) is still making luna-send calls to store stuff to DB8 for example. Settings app does the same

If you want legacy calendar app back I can have a word with some of the devs for the reasoning of deleting it. I think putting it back shouldn't be a big issue. At least you have something to work with then
    I think I find trying something new more interesting. At least until I hit a road block

Preemptive likes this.
    I think I find trying something new more interesting. At least until I hit a road block
    Even better! The app we have now is Enyo 2 but really a basic skeleton and needs quite some polishing still. I suspect that lots of backend code can be re-used from the open sourced Enyo 1 app. When 72ka did the rewrite of Google Maps in Enyo2 he was able to re-use quite some bits of code from his Mojo app.

P.s. If you need any help or guidance, feel free to contact me or drop by in our IRC channel #webos-ports

There are quite some devs there that can get you started on things. We really do need to work a bit more on documentation of things to get people started

Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 09/15/2015 at 06:52 AM.
    Hmm... It's been pretty slow around here lately...

A few things I wanted to ask about:
    -On the latest sstable it appears to be that the keyboard size does not save after a reboot.
    when watching videos, say, on YouTube, the volume defaults really loud regardless of the current volume level. Pressing the volume level restores it to normal behavior
    We've been busy with "boring stuff behind the screens mainly" which means updating a lot of core components (we moved from OpemEmbedded Dizzy to Fido) bringing all the latest and greatest under the hood :-) (this includes things like OpenSSL and many, many, many more components). It seems for now the upgrade to PulseAudio 6 broke audio on the Nexus 4 completely. Also the emulator doesn't boot to GUI. We're looking into this and want to get this sorted before the next release. (these are quite common occurances, the previous switch from Dora to Dizzy completely broke the Nexus 7 support, so we're currently not in such bad shape). We've also upgraded to QT 5.5 which offers a quite noticable improvement in QML performance in the UI. This will also allow us to shortly switch from QtWebkit to QtWebEngine which will give us a browser with a lot better compatibility with the latest and greatest web features :-)

MartinH@webos likes this.
    Hmm... It's been pretty slow around here lately...

A few things I wanted to ask about:
    -On the latest sstable it appears to be that the keyboard size does not save after a reboot.
    when watching videos, say, on YouTube, the volume defaults really loud regardless of the current volume level. Pressing the volume level restores it to normal behavior
    Need to have a look for the VKB size, I haven't tested much on TP lately to be honest. I noticed the audio issue as well, need to see where that comes from. The audio service was rewritten from scratch and I believe it currently only supports a "system" volume level and not a separate "media" volume level like legacy did support. This might be the cause for this. I'll double check the VKB issue and will create issues if needed in the bug tracker.

Good morning
    I've talked with Herrie on irc yesterday about bringing the optware Feeds to LuneOS,
    and Sören encouraged me to post here, too.

The old optware bootstrap has been recovered from archive,org. It installs just fine on my LuneOS Touchpad.
    The optware tools are working, even though outdated. I've managed to get CUPS up and running, as well as climm.

If you are interested in testing it, too, download http://netzherpes.de/optware-bootstrap.sh and run it in fingerterm. Follow the instructions and reboot your device. You should be able to install optware packages with ipkg-opt install foobar .

Thanks Herrie for asking ka6sox for further help, btw.

Have fun,
    nils
    Last edited by masterhit; 09/24/2015 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
    Good morning
    I've talked with Herrie on irc yesterday about bringing the optware Feeds to LuneOS,
    and Sören encouraged me to post here, too.

The old optware bootstrap has been recovered from archive,org. It installs just fine on my LuneOS Touchpad.
    The optware tools are working, even though outdated. I've managed to get CUPS up and running, as well as climm.

If you are interested in testing it, too, download http://netzherpes.de/optware-bootstrap.sh and run it in fingerterm. Follow the instructions and reboot your device. You should be able to install optware packages with ipkg-opt install foobar .

Thanks Herrie for asking ka6sox for further help, btw.

Have fun,
    nils
    ka6sox is one of the original guys who was involved in the Optware project. It seems most have been moved on since, he's still around. It seems that for legacy webOS ext3 was used to bypass some restrictions of the file system. For LuneOS we don't need to care about this it seems, so most likely we can mount it as /opt like regular Optware.

We'd just need to see if we can do a cleanup and/or update of the Optware packages that exist to bring them up to date. I'm worried about OpenSSL and others that have security vulnerabilities and need fixing. That's a project in it's own. Would be good to see if we can reuse the packages that are created during the openembedded build process or we need to customize them a bit still.
    Preemptive likes this.
    We'd just need to see if we can do a cleanup and/or update of the Optware packages that exist to bring them up to date. I'm worried about OpenSSL and others that have security vulnerabilities and need fixing. That's a project in it's own. Would be good to see if we can reuse the packages that are created during the openembedded build process or we need to customize them a bit still.
    I'd assume you are already using OpenSSL on LuneOS - maybe in a different part of the file system?

So.... would an update of optware make those packages available to Legacy? And would that mean a current version of OpenSSL available to us..? (I'm not saying that would directly solve the SHA256 certificate problem, but it might help)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/24/2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'd assume you are already using OpenSSL on LuneOS - maybe in a different part of the file system?

So.... would an update of optware make those packages available to Legacy? And would that mean a current version of OpenSSL available to us..? (I'm not saying that would directly solve the SHA256 certificate problem, but it might help)
    You can already install Optware packages on legacy. The current webOS versions (for example: openssl 0.9.8) are only minor revisions from the current nslu2 linux feeds (openssl 0.9.7). Unfortunately, having them installed won't fix email. I have them on all of my devices. I use sftp-server to transfer files for dev. And the email system still won't request the 256 certs. I think someone would have to build the email binaries with a fix. Those are all closed source I believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast