Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes
    Actually I recently started working on an Enyo2 Music Player for LuneOS.

(Two years ago I started a SoundCloud-App for webOS and had too much stuff going on since than also it was early Enyo2 but I didn't find the time to continue or even update the Enyo version)..
    When I bought my Nexus 4 one month ago to get my fingers on LuneOS, I was really impressed by the progress made and found myself also missing a Music Player.

I wanted to wait until it made more progress and because I still lack time to work on it (from October on it could be better), but since I already implemented a basic player and you are asking, it's time to tell you guys

I implemented the PlayerControls, Progresscontrol, SongInformations and Repeat, it plays one Song after another and you can jump between them.
    I tried it with different .mp3 streams (like SoundCloud and also local mp3's in the assets folder) and they all play very nice out of the box on the Nexus 4.

Now I'm working on the different views/panels and lists like in the 3.0.5 TouchPad Music App.
    I also simply included a JavaScript ID3-Library to get more meta information than just the duration, rate and filename (like Artist, Album, Title, Track, Genre etc. and also the Coverart). But unfortunately this is not working on the Nexus 4, just on the Browser yet.

Also I don't know how to adress the Media-Indexer within an Enyo-App to get a list of local sound files. That would be awesome.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Grabber5.0, Shuswap and vgg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by virox View Post
    Actually I recently started working on an Enyo2 Music Player for LuneOS.

(Two years ago I started a SoundCloud-App for webOS and had too much stuff going on since than also it was early Enyo2 but I didn't find the time to continue or even update the Enyo version)..
    When I bought my Nexus 4 one month ago to get my fingers on LuneOS, I was really impressed by the progress made and found myself also missing a Music Player.

I wanted to wait until it made more progress and because I still lack time to work on it (from October on it could be better), but since I already implemented a basic player and you are asking, it's time to tell you guys

I implemented the PlayerControls, Progresscontrol, SongInformations and Repeat, it plays one Song after another and you can jump between them.
    I tried it with different .mp3 streams (like SoundCloud and also local mp3's in the assets folder) and they all play very nice out of the box on the Nexus 4.

Now I'm working on the different views/panels and lists like in the 3.0.5 TouchPad Music App.
    I also simply included a JavaScript ID3-Library to get more meta information than just the duration, rate and filename (like Artist, Album, Title, Track, Genre etc. and also the Coverart). But unfortunately this is not working on the Nexus 4, just on the Browser yet.

Also I don't know how to adress the Media-Indexer within an Enyo-App to get a list of local sound files. That would be awesome.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Great work! Media indexer is api compatible with legacy. I found the following code being used by FilePicker:

https://github.com/webOS-ports/luna-...oPicker.js#L48

That should work in general for you too in an Enyo 2 app I guess

This should also give you an idea of what's available to you to use (i.e. get indexed by the mediaindexer and put into DB8 databases once there are changes in the filesystem): https://github.com/webOS-ports/media...les/db8/kinds/

I believe this already includes the tags, album art etc info as well
    Feel free to push your code somewhere so we can test as well Maybe we can even include it in our image as default music player going forward (depends if you're up to that of course and on the licensing).
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/31/2015 at 03:41 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    If you have a reliable way of reproducing it that would be helpful :-)
    Definitely. I'll pay attention a little more now. It's not until something happens a few times that you realize it's a bug and not something you caused by meddling too much!

I have a couple of possibilities regarding the web browser not relaunching, but I'm not sure, so I'll play around and try to make it happen again. It might be connected to watching YouTube videos or playing streaming media. Can I enable or check any log files? (edit: found the answer in the FAQ)

I have no idea what causes the missing shutdown menu issue, but if I start to notice a pattern, I'll try to replicate it.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08/31/2015 at 09:13 AM.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Question: does the browser have html5 audio support? Or will it in the future? I found an html5 audio player (for local files), which I thought would be a quick way of adding a music player (you could even just download the files and have a local player), but it doesn't work with .mp3 files. I assume they may never work, given the licensing issues, (...)
    It may or may not be applicable, but the Raspberry Pi foundation had A similar issue. They couldn't justify the cost of a license, but as the RPi makes quite a good media player, the mp3 support was useful. It's possible to buy a license from the store on a per-device basis and input the device serial number. I don't know the details or whether it would be possible to apply as similar solution to LuneOS. I'll look into it.

hmmm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3#Li...nd_legislation

It may not be an issues at all in a couple of years..?
    I dunno, I think MP3 support is built into raspbian - my Pi plays MP3 files just fine and I didn't have to buy any license. Now whether they are paying a license fee I don't know, but it could be built into the price of the hardware.
    Maybe things changed: They bought a mass license, got free permission or.. other. Here's the page, but I did have to Google it.
    MPEG-2 license key - Raspberry Pi Store

EDIT: Again, maybe something changed, but I think there was a goal to get the H/W down to a certain price and a realisation that the RPi is not a specific computing device (it's actually a fairly low-power machine compared to a PC), but can be applied to various projects - a media player being only one possibility.

Also, I can play Mp3s on Linux. Are distros paying the license? Very generous as the S/W is free. One way or another, I doubt this will be a serious problem.

I guess mp3 has now become the most common sound format, but I just saw the tweet about the new compression algorithm.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/31/2015 at 06:52 PM.
    First of all MPEG-2 = video (used for DVD for example). (Most) linux distros ask you to tick a box for (Fraunhofer) MP3 support during installation (I've seen this in Ubuntu for sure).

On compression alternatives there have been quite a few over the past 2 decades (I remember toying with MP3 back in '94/'95 where it took 1 hr to compress from ripped WAV to MP3 and you couldn't even play it in stereo). There was OGG Vorbis, FLAC (lossless) gained quite some popularity but never made it as popular as MP3. Until early 2000's MP3 was largely ignored by large audio device manufacturers. You had to go to the likes of iRiver and Cowon for proper MP3 players. I remember the MP3 discman I had from iRiver that would run 12 hrs on the internal battery and then an additional 12 hrs with an external battery pack consisting of 2 penlite batteries). This was all pre iPod era ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 09/01/2015 at 12:52 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    The discussion around this month's release and the PivotCE article finally got me to break down and buy a Nexus 4. It should be here by early next week. I can't wait to try LuneOS on a phone.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
    Browser screen shots showing tiny text.. and html5 video player.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cbosdell likes this.
    OK it seems there's an experimental preference for that in QtWebkit

I quickly tested it and it seems to work

What you can do:

Add the following:
    experimental.preferences.minimumFontSize: 20

to /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/WebView.qml
    where the other experimental.preferences are.

I'll try to put this into an option in Preferences sometime in the future so you can just select it from there

I tried this, and while it works, it is not an ideal solution. The problem is a scaling problem with mobile sites that don't allow the user to scale them by with pinch/spread gesture or double-tapping. Most desktop sites (for now) still allow you to scale them. I will try some user agent overrides to see if it makes a difference. I'm sure running Android these same mobile sites scale fine, so I'll try the Android Chrome user agent. If the screen resolution and dpi are reported properly, I'd expect sites to scale properly, but that scaling work may be normally handled by the browser's rendering engine. It could also be that the web view isn't handling scaling properly - I did some searching and found docs saying the standard qml web view doesn't.

Oh, and the webOS nation forum style selector drop downs work in the browser again.
    Hey guys! I had somethings come up so wasn't able to look at LuneOS for a while. I just updated to this latest stable but my WiFi doesn't work now. Is that a known bug? I am on a TouchPad.

Version 36
    Codename Crema
    Build Tree stable
    Build Number 64
    I don't know the status of this, but it used to need a reboot after install for wifi to start working. Did you try that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corso View Post
    Hey guys! I had somethings come up so wasn't able to look at LuneOS for a while. I just updated to this latest stable but my WiFi doesn't work now. Is that a known bug? I am on a TouchPad.

Version 36
    Codename Crema
    Build Tree stable
    Build Number 64
    Did you update your uImage?

In case you did, you might want to try the latest nightly. We've made WiFi a little more stable recently.
    No, I didn't update the ulmage. The tendorloin instructions for updating said to just replace the image. Where are the nightlies kept? I can give that a try to see if that works.

The WiFi says that it turns on and then searches for networks but never finds anything.
    That's because you didn't update the uImage. I'm sure it's in the instructions because I use them all the time to copy and paste from ;-)

Latest nightly: http://build.webos-ports.org/luneos-...derloin.tar.gz

And uImage:
    http://build.webos-ports.org/luneos-...derloin/uImage
    Latest build feels as solid as rock. Power menu works again, too.
    Latest build feels as solid as rock. Power menu works again, too.
    Yeah stability has improved a lot. I'm still ocassionally able to break the power menu, that's something we're looking into now :-)

But calls....CALLLLLLLLSSSSS
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    elvispre and kolomona like this.
    But calls....CALLLLLLLLSSSSS
    Who still makes calls these days :-P Lots of updates under the hood hitting soon (new OpenEmbedded release Fido (we're on Dizzy now)). Calls will come, but we're working on getting existing things better and more stable (i.e. closing bugs) instead of adding a lot more features and making things more unstable ;-) Lots of heavy lifting is done on foundation of things currently :-)

elvispre likes this.
    Who still makes calls these days :-P
    Ha ha!

We know the reasons for the delay here and that you are not the person doing this work. But a phone that can't call is a tiny tablet!

I can wait, because N4s get cheaper all the time! But I predict there will be a little uptick in N4 purchases, installs and useful bug reports when the phone can be used to talk to someone.
    vgg likes this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234