Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    They used to work I think - drop downs at least. An example is the style chooser at the bottom left corner of the forums on the desktop site. (these are from BB10)
    Attachment 69007Attachment 69008.
    I'll give that a go tonight, might be a quick fix. We've been tweaking various bits here and there in the browser, could be that broke it.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  2. #42  
    Just noticed this, how much of a concern could the Touchpad's memory constraints be going forward with LuneOS? Only ~20 MB RAM remaining with four browser tabs and a PDF (and Fingerterm, obviously)

  3. #43  
    Just noticed this, how much of a concern could the Touchpad's memory constraints be going forward with LuneOS? Only ~20 MB RAM remaining with four browser tabs and a PDF (and Fingerterm, obviously)

    Click to view quoted image
    That might be a concern at some point yes, but please keep in mind little has been done so far in terms of memory optimization, so there's still some room for improvement.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4. #44  
    Ahh, that's what I was hoping you'd say In any case, I've found myself I using LuneOS a LOOOT more now. Feels a lot more stable, and it's just a nightly!
    Shuswap likes this.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    Ahh, that's what I was hoping you'd say In any case, I've found myself I using LuneOS a LOOOT more now. Feels a lot more stable, and it's just a nightly!
    Well there's not a lot of difference between nightlies and stables at this point. The nightlies are pretty stable and are tested pretty well by the devs and users.

    The big difference with the stable is that we'll try to iron our any critical release blockers and those might slip in, in a nightly every once in a while when we do major rework or introduce new features

    But yes, stability has improved a lot
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6. #46  
    So I got my Nexus 4 last night, and installed the latest nightly this morning. All I can say is well done! It's really coming along, and it's obvious how much work has gone into it. I've already adb pushed an ipk over (Telegram) and I'll have to give it a try later...

    I remember an article on PivotCE saying that Jolla apps might be available one day. I just read that the KDE plasma mobile project (plasma-mobile | Plasma in your pocket) might be using those apps too. Maybe some kind of critical mass of users could be reached one day.

    Edit: On the old webOS browser there was a config file hack you could do to increase minimum font sizes. Is that still possible with LuneOS?
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08/29/2015 at 12:22 PM.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    So I got my Nexus 4 last night, and installed the latest nightly this morning. All I can say is well done! It's really coming along, and it's obvious how much work has gone into it. I've already adb pushed an ipk over (Telegram) and I'll have to give it a try later...

    I remember an article on PivotCE saying that Jolla apps might be available one day. I just read that the KDE plasma mobile project (plasma-mobile | Plasma in your pocket) might be using those apps too. Maybe some kind of critical mass of users could be reached one day.

    Edit: On the old webOS browser there was a config file hack you could do to increase minimum font sizes. Is that still possible with LuneOS?
    Yeah we've come a long way

    We have Preware 2, the PivotCE feed (with Telegram) is in there, you just need to manually enable it and update your feeds). There are some other apps in it too

    In theory all QT/QML apps could be run, however often the Jolla/BB/Ubuntu/Plasma use their own (proprietary) QML components (Silica, Cascades etc) which haven't been open sourced. So even if the app is open source, we'd need to replace these bits with our own and cannot run them 1:1 directly. It's not impossible just a bit more work.

    The browser has been completely rewritten in QML, so it has nothing left from legacy. In case you have some examples (or screenshots etc) I can have a look to see what can be done since I'm the main browser dev
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yeah we've come a long way

    We have Preware 2, the PivotCE feed (with Telegram) is in there, you just need to manually enable it and update your feeds). There are some other apps in it too

    ....

    The browser has been completely rewritten in QML, so it has nothing left from legacy. In case you have some examples (or screenshots etc) I can have a look to see what can be done since I'm the main browser dev
    Thanks! I have all of the feeds enabled now.

    The browser renders pages really well -- and even plays youtube videos, which surprised me.

    A couple of examples of small text: if you go to google.com, and enter a search, the results page has tiny, tiny print, and cannot be zoomed. I can read it, but it's fine print, and really difficult to press a link.

    Or, if you go to LXer.com. Even when you zoom in on the main column, the text is quite small, unless you zoom in so far that only a portion of the column is on the screen / the words are cut off by the end of the screen.

    I suppose the alternative approach to having the ability to increase minimum font sizes would be to implement dynamically reflowing text, but that seems like it would be very difficult...
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Thanks! I have all of the feeds enabled now.

    The browser renders pages really well -- and even plays youtube videos, which surprised me.

    A couple of examples of small text: if you go to google.com, and enter a search, the results page has tiny, tiny print, and cannot be zoomed. I can read it, but it's fine print, and really difficult to press a link.

    Or, if you go to LXer.com. Even when you zoom in on the main column, the text is quite small, unless you zoom in so far that only a portion of the column is on the screen / the words are cut off by the end of the screen.

    I suppose the alternative approach to having the ability to increase minimum font sizes would be to implement dynamically reflowing text, but that seems like it would be very difficult...
    OK it seems there's an experimental preference for that in QtWebkit

    I quickly tested it and it seems to work

    What you can do:

    Add the following:
    experimental.preferences.minimumFontSize: 20

    to /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/WebView.qml
    where the other experimental.preferences are.

    I'll try to put this into an option in Preferences sometime in the future so you can just select it from there
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MudShark22 likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    OK it seems there's an experimental preference for that in QtWebkit

    I quickly tested it and it seems to work

    What you can do:

    Add the following:
    experimental.preferences.minimumFontSize: 20

    to /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/WebView.qml
    where the other experimental.preferences are.

    I'll try to put this into an option in Preferences sometime in the future so you can just select it from there
    Thanks Herrie! Talk about a quick response!
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    OK it seems there's an experimental preference for that in QtWebkit

    I quickly tested it and it seems to work

    What you can do:

    Add the following:
    experimental.preferences.minimumFontSize: 20

    to /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.browser/qml/WebView.qml
    where the other experimental.preferences are.

    I'll try to put this into an option in Preferences sometime in the future so you can just select it from there
    This worked so well. It's perfect. Well, almost. With my worn out eyes, I actually adjusted the font size to 30...

    For those who want to try it, tether to your Linux box by USB, use adb shell, navigate to the folder, and then edit using 'vi'.

    Some handy resources:

    ADB Shell Commands

    Vi Cheat Sheet
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    This worked so well. It's perfect. Well, almost. With my worn out eyes, I actually adjusted the font size to 30...

    For those who want to try it, tether to your Linux box by USB, use adb shell, navigate to the folder, and then edit using 'vi'.

    Some handy resources:

    ADB Shell Commands

    Vi Cheat Sheet
    You can also use "adb pull /path/to/file.qml" to pull it to your PC, edit it there and push it back with "adb push filetopush.qml /path/to/filetopush.qml"
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  13. #53  
    Wouldn't Fingerterm work, or is there no built in vi-like editor?
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    Wouldn't Fingerterm work, or is there no built in vi-like editor?
    Fingerterm works, and it has a vi editor, but I'm a newb and couldn't see enough of the screen. I also wasn't enjoying my repeated screwups on the little keyboard. It was way easier to edit it with the full terminal on the laptop. When you go into the device via adb shell, it appears that you're actually using the vi editor on the device, and you're limited to the utilities available on the device. If I had the full array of Debian tools at the ready, I would have been really lazy and used pico. Of course, I could do that using Herrie's method.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Fingerterm works, and it has a vi editor, but I'm a newb and couldn't see enough of the screen. I also wasn't enjoying my repeated screwups on the little keyboard. It was way easier to edit it with the full terminal on the laptop. When you go into the device via adb shell, it appears that you're actually using the vi editor on the device, and you're limited to the utilities available on the device. If I had the full array of Debian tools at the ready, I would have been really lazy and used pico. Of course, I could do that using Herrie's method.
    Right, I forgot you're using Mako. Of course it would be easier on a laptop/computer. Off-topic, but out of curiosity, which distro are you on?

    Also, it seems that touching notifications on Touchpad turns off the display, although I'm still on build 168.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    Right, I forgot you're using Mako. Of course it would be easier on a laptop/computer. Off-topic, but out of curiosity, which distro are you on?
    I imagine Fingerterm would be a LOT easier to use on the touchpad. I'm running Debian Jessie (the LXDE version).

    Some notes for Herrie and the other devs (if they come here):

    I've noticed a couple of small issues. One is that I don't always get the shutdown screen when I press and hold the power button. Sometimes it just seems to turn off, and on some of those occasions, it reboots.

    The other issue is that sometimes the browser won't restart after I've shut it down. A Luna restart won't fix it either. I have to reboot completely.

    Question: does the browser have html5 audio support? Or will it in the future? I found an html5 audio player (for local files), which I thought would be a quick way of adding a music player (you could even just download the files and have a local player), but it doesn't work with .mp3 files. I assume they may never work, given the licensing issues, but maybe this approach could be used to play .ogg files? Here's a link to the player: MP3 Player
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
  17. #57  
    Yes, it does have html5 audio support. This is a good demo site: jPlayer : HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
  18. #58  
    Right, I forgot you're using Mako. Of course it would be easier on a laptop/computer. Off-topic, but out of curiosity, which distro are you on?

    Also, it seems that touching notifications on Touchpad turns off the display, although I'm still on build 168.
    We're currently reworking the banner and dashboard notifications because we also found that they were buggy and not working properly.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  19. #59  
    I imagine Fingerterm would be a LOT easier to use on the touchpad. I'm running Debian Jessie (the LXDE version).

    Some notes for Herrie and the other devs (if they come here):

    I've noticed a couple of small issues. One is that I don't always get the shutdown screen when I press and hold the power button. Sometimes it just seems to turn off, and on some of those occasions, it reboots.

    The other issue is that sometimes the browser won't restart after I've shut it down. A Luna restart won't fix it either. I have to reboot completely.

    Question: does the browser have html5 audio support? Or will it in the future? I found an html5 audio player (for local files), which I thought would be a quick way of adding a music player (you could even just download the files and have a local player), but it doesn't work with .mp3 files. I assume they may never work, given the licensing issues, but maybe this approach could be used to play .ogg files? Here's a link to the player: MP3 Player
    I've seen the shutdown screen issue as well. We've recently addressed an issue that caused certain windows not to be destroyed properly that might sort this. It needs to be tested a bit more thoroughly to see if it's gone. With regards to apps not launching (well according to the journalctl logs they launch but it seems the window never appears): This might be fixed as well with the fix described above, also this needs to be tested a bit more thoroughly. It could be it's a different bug altogether.

    If you have a reliable way of reproducing it that would be helpful :-)

    We use gstreamer as backend for support of audio & video files. Theoretically legacy audio players in Enyo might work since we have rewritten the media indexer already.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  20. #60  
    The last time I tested, it wasn't working, but it's been a while. It could have been the apps I was trying.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03/23/2015, 10:16 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01/08/2015, 01:27 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12/01/2014, 08:52 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10/15/2014, 07:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions