Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    It’s pretty hard to believe that it’s only been three months since HP pulled the plug on official support on webOS and shut down its cloud services. Yet with the arrival of August, the loyal base of webOS developers and enthusiasts who have stuck around will likely be seeing the ninth stable release of LuneOS in the very near future.
    Despite having been churning out stable builds for less than a year, the webOS Ports team’s LuneOS is already proving to be a very capable candidate to fill the void left behind by webOS. Read on past the jump, and we’ll examine how the latest LuneOS, Cafe Cubano, measures up to its predecessor.

Read more...
    --------
    Last edited by Chairman Honeycrisp; 08/06/2015 at 12:59 AM.
    Preemptive and Rnp like this.
    It's good to see the improved browser. I get the impression that only audio routing prevents calls being made. Dialling and connecting all works. May be it's a big deal to do this, but a functional phone with a nice browser... would be kind of halfway there.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/06/2015 at 05:39 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Link fixed. Thanks for the heads up, Preemptive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It's good to see the improved browser. I get the impression that only audio routing prevents calls being made. Dialling and connecting all works. May be it's a big deal to do this, but a functional phone with a nice browser... would be kind of halfway there.
    It involves quite a bit, because you have to deal with what happens with other audio that's already playing, how you route it, what needs to pause/stop etc. It's no walk in the park for sure. The dev who was working on it, had some real life things happening (for the better in general, also for the project, but that does mean a bit of delay).

We've been working on some browser improvements recently and these should be included in the new release, due to be out soon Nothing too shocking, just fixing some bugs and adding support for some HTML5 elements that weren't there before

Also Ajax searches now work properly on many websites (and in the new Enyo 2 Google Maps app!)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive, vgg, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  5.    #5  
    Speaking of browser, just floating it out there but what would the possibility be of porting the LuneOS browser to webOS? Given that (I presume) the LuneOS browser would be more up to date in terms of standards, it would probably also help to give life to webOS.
    I think the browser (and other stuff) is based on Qt 5 and webOS is still on Qt 4.6 or 4.8 or something. So the problem is that to get one thing, a whole bunch of underlying stuff needs upgrading. I get the impression that Open webOS is based on webOS 3 and maybe just part was open sourced - Like the system manager and UI parts - no core apps, synergy, drivers etc. (someone more knowledgeable can correct this if wrong). So all that has to be recreated.

Of course, it's technically possible, but on the TP you'd have LuneOS and the phones run webOS 2 - not open-sourced I think , so a lot of effort (there was an incomplete attempt to get LunaCE on the Pre3)
    http://www.webos-ports.org/wiki/LunaCE_on_Pre3

I agree that ISIS or similar newer browser would be great on the phone, but human resources are limited, so I'm very doubtful this will happen - these phones are 4 years old, remember. That said, I did wonder if it was possible to get a proper list of Pre3 components - it's just possible that hardware parts might appear in other, Android phones. If so, it might be possible to assemble a kernel that would support Android and then LuneOS becomes a possibility....

Yeah, unlikely. The stars would have to align and then someone would have to be willing to do the work.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/06/2015 at 11:08 PM.
    I think the browser (and other stuff) is based on Qt 5 and webOS is still on Qt 4.6 or 4.8 or something. So the problem is that to get one thing, a whole bunch of underlying stuff needs upgrading. I get the impression that Open webOS is based on webOS 3 and maybe just part was open sourced - Like the system manager and UI parts - no core apps, synergy, drivers etc. (someone more knowledgeable can correct this if wrong). So all that has to be recreated.

Of course, it's technically possible, but on the TP you'd have LuneOS and the phones run webOS 2 - not open-sourced I think , so a lot of effort (there was an incomplete attempt to get LunaCE on the Pre3)
    http://www.webos-ports.org/wiki/LunaCE_on_Pre3

I agree that ISIS or similar newer browser would be great on the phone, but human resources are limited, so I'm very doubtful this will happen - these phones are 4 years old, remember. That said, I did wonder if it was possible to get a proper list of Pre3 components - it's just possible that hardware parts might appear in other, Android phones. If so, it might be possible to assemble a kernel that would support Android and then LuneOS becomes a possibility....

Yeah, unlikely. The stars would have to align and then someone would have to be willing to do the work.
    To be honest as much as I like my Veer and the Pre 3. Their 512MB memory is probably too limited to run LuneOS properly. Even on the TP LuneOS takes considerabky longer to boot compared to the N4 (though still a lot faster compared to legacy webOS). Theoretically it shouldn't be too hard to get a newer QT 5.x running on legacy webOS (both 2.x and 3.x) and the LuneOS browser could run then. Memory might still be an issue though. There are people who got QT 4.6 and even 4.8 running on legacy without too much effort, so for someone with the right knowledge getting 5.x working shouldn't be too hard.

Packaging the LuneOS browser for legacy shouldn't be too hard then.

Just I personally don't have the knowledge and the other devs with their limited time (understandably) prefer to work on LuneOS. There are a few things we can backport though. Our PDF app, Memos app are Enyo 2 and can work on legacy too. That's something I might take upon myself in the near future and put them in Preware.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp, poehoes and gazaud like this.
    Herrie, I appreciate anything you make available for 2.x.

Because honestly none of this LuneOS work will help those of us who prefer portrait slider legacy hardware. I need a pocket-sized keyboard man! It saddens me that even if you could magically perfect LuneOS, I can't use it on my Pre2!

I love webOS sure, but I love the form factor most.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Rnp and elvispre like this.
    A new browser would be nice. But would need to find a way to have the new browser be the default browser or links in email and messages would still open in the old browser and just drive me crazy.

and any improvement to the pdf would be welcome also. Thanks
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Herrie, I appreciate anything you make available for 2.x.

Because honestly none of this LuneOS work will help those of us who prefer portrait slider legacy hardware. I need a pocket-sized keyboard man! It saddens me that even if you could magically perfect LuneOS, I can't use it on my Pre2!

I've seen a hardware kb cover for thew new Samsung phone... Came from @evleaks which is usually reliable. Might be interesting if it does come out!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Anyone will to give a modern QT a try on legacy, see HowtoQt - WebOS Internals and Qt on the Palm Pre - Not Nearly Enough Time for some pointers!
    Couple of things: As far as I remember that Blackberry is coming out with a slider keyboard that is an Android phone. It might be possible to get CM & therefore LuneOS on it. (?)

Also, I recently installed Linux Mint. A minimum of 1 Gb of Ram is recommended, but it will run in half that...
    ...so I'm a bit surprised that a mobile OS needs the amount of ram of a desktop distro, but perhaps LuneOS would be technically possible on the old phones, but I would have thought the same driver problems would prevent this. I.e.: Y ou can probably get LuneOS on anything that has a CM distro available, but there's no CM for the Pre3. Isn't LunaNext needed for the new tech and isn't libhybris needed for LunaNext?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/08/2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Theoretically it shouldn't be too hard to get a newer QT 5.x running on legacy webOS (both 2.x and 3.x) and the LuneOS browser could run then. Memory might still be an issue though. There are people who got QT 4.6 and even 4.8 running on legacy without too much effort, so for someone with the right knowledge getting 5.x working shouldn't be too hard.

Packaging the LuneOS browser for legacy shouldn't be too hard then.

Just I personally don't have the knowledge and the other devs with their limited time (understandably) prefer to work on LuneOS.
    Time is always a problem...on the other hand: time is also money. Considering that quite a few people here want a new browser, the community could collect a 'reward'. On the other hand...is it fair to (temporarily) 'steal' someone aways from the LuneOS team? - Would the LuneOS-team even consider such an exchange as fruitfull to 'the cause'?

Just thinking out loud...not saying that the thoughts are any good. :-)
    Last edited by Misj'; 08/08/2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I need a pocket-sized keyboard man!

Quite. How can you "Just Type" without an actual keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispre View Post
    Quite. How can you "Just Type" without an actual keyboard?
    You can press on it, but I agree it's an extra operation. We might add something fancy like double tap on lockscreen to activate it or something in the future.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    With a 'multiwave' launcher, you could just swipe up from the gesture area, select the keyboard, then keep moving your finger to the key you want. Remove your finger and the keyboard has been selected and you've started typing with one touch/swipe. That's 'just typing'!

If 'E' is the most used letter in the English language, what letter begins most sentences?
    Excited to discover today that the browser now supports file uploads! I uploaded a screen shot to Facebook this morning. I'm using a Cubano nightly on the N4.
    Excited to discover today that the browser now supports file uploads! I uploaded a screen shot to Facebook this morning. I'm using a Cubano nightly on the N4.
    Click to view quoted image
    Yup we added this recently :-) New release should hit soon.... Just need to get a hold of the right people to push the images out ;-)

There's also a new Enyo 2 Google Maps app (thnx to 72ka)... Pinch to zoom doesn't work yet though and location isn't very accurate yet ;-) We also fixed ajax searches (a bug we found while testing the Google Maps app). Things are quiet over summer but lots of small things have been sorted ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Yeah I had noticed those things about Google Maps, but it was cool seeing the app. Do you know why the browser makes mobile pages so small and hard to read?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah I had noticed those things about Google Maps, but it was cool seeing the app. Do you know why the browser makes mobile pages so small and hard to read?
    Not sure could be UserAgent. Any examples so I can debug a bit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast